Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Flying over neighborhoods?

Old 11-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying over neighborhoods?

Is doing aerial photography with r/c planes over houses (at a good altitude) safe and legal? Even flying over without actually taking any pictures? What are the legality issues associated with making photos of houses for sale etc, in populated neighborhoods?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:50 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying over neighborhoods?

I have flown in my neighborhood a couple times with no issues. Took some decent pics and landed in a very confined space with no problems. I think equipment maintence and using reliable equipment is the way to go. Any suspect parts should be replaced, they can be used on your "recreational" birds. Ones you are going to fly in and out of "tight spaces" you want to be sure you are using reliable equipment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85135.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	192777  
Old 11-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, thanks for your reply. Do you fly nitro or electric? Do you take off right from your street and stuff? [X(]
Old 11-14-2004, 03:38 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I don't think there are any state or federal laws against it but there can be local ordinances. A couple of years ago I was ticketed for flying my Su Do Khoi at a lake by the golf course [:@] Fortunately it was only a warning ticket. The cop said that there was a local ordinance against flying rc planes over the golf course and adjoining home park.
Most places are cool though and my experience has been the exception.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:58 PM
smokingcrater

if you are doing it commercially, you will have to find insurance. even personally, AMA won't cover it but your home owners probably would, at least once.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
plasticjoe

I fly electric, used a super beefed up slow stick. Have a himax brushless on it, 2000 Mah Lipos, Castle 25, Have the wing carbon fiber reinforced top and bottom. Also have the tail feathers reinforced. I fly glow and gas also, would NEVER fly glow or gas in that confined an area, the planes are too heavy. A slow sick outfitted for AP like mine weighs about 24 ounces. Getting hit by a errantly thrown baseball by the neighborhood kids would hurt worse. Here's some pics of the plane and some pics I took with it recently. I am about to start my own A/P biz, just need to pic up a few more parts and a little more testing and practice and by spring I'll be ready. Just started putting together my website also. Here's the bare bones so far. Http://showflyer.tripod.com/aerial

Name:	Db86412.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	193362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60163.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	193363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30891.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	193364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52608.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	193365  
Old 11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
jspanier

Nice plane plasticjoe! I've been eyeing a Himax motor for my slow stick. What motor are you using?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:18 AM
randall1959

Only problem with any park flyer is the inability to handle wind that a larger bird like even a forty size trainer will handle with ease.
Right now I'm waiting on a digital camera with video output to take AP with. Maybe the bigger bird is a bit more on the dangerous side, but it's benefits outweigh the negatives.
With the video downlink from the camera I can take photos from a safer vantage point and aim my camera using the television as a view finder.
Less hit and miss than going up, taking a bunch of shots and landing, hoping I've gotten a good one.
A slow stick can't handle that kind of payload.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
plasticjoe

The modifications I have made on this slow stick will allow it to be flown in 15mph winds and take pics not a problem. As far as the digital camera with the video output, the Pentax Optio S4i that I am using has that feature. And the Black widow transmitter downlink should only add 3 more ounces at best. With the thrust that the brushless motor outputs, That plane will not even notice it. I am ordering the Black widow transmitter at the begining of the year . I still will challenge any .40 sixed trainer to fly in and out of the tight areas I can take this plane. I have 6 glow planes, ranging from a .40 sixed trainer to 4 stroke biplanes, and I still would NEVER fly them in a neighborhood setting. Their weight can allow flying in higher winds, but as well their weight becomes more of a safety and liability issue. One I would not want to encounter myself.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:20 PM
randall1959

My Kadet might not land in quite as tight of an area as the slow stick but it will land in some very small areas. Especially in a five mph headwind. When I drop the flaps I can take off and land in less than fifty feet on my practice runway.
In a completely urban setting the size and weight of anything is a definate consideration, but most of what I will be doing will center around rural to small town type settings. I will have three cameras total, once I get my digital this week.
There is a camera in the nose on a pan servo and one on the rear of the plane with a pan servo also.
I will be able to switch from one camera to the other as soon as my black widow beta switch comes.
In a completely urban setting, my platform of choice wouldn't be a plane at all, but a helicopter.
To each his own though and whatever works for you I say
A slow stick just couldn't handle the weight of all the gear that I will have onboard.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:07 AM
patrickegan

Don’t underestimate the Stick. The Slow Stick can carry 40 oz. It's quiet and you can get in tight.

Name:	Nl29589.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	194342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48893.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	194343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49137.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	194344  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 AM
AutoMike

I blew the photo up in Photoshop and there is a naked woman in the window on the 7th floor!!

Really, way cool...the tallest building around here is a corn bin
Old 11-19-2004, 10:15 AM
plasticjoe

Patrick,

Many people do underestimate the slow stick. I just purchased a Virus ASP so I can use the wing on it in a higher wind environment. I have yet to test them together, have the day off today and it's raining here in Ohio, go figure that one. I hand launch my SS and am above treetop level in less than 100 ft. The brushless motor is what gives you the commandoness of the slow stick for an A/P plane. To make it even better for winds, just beef up the wing with carbon fiber rods at the LE TE and the area where a spar should be. If you also see I added a reinforcing tube on the top as well. I can hold that plane at the end of the carbon fiber rods, it all loaded with a/p stuff, battery, camera and all and the wing does not flex one bit ! My first and foremost reccomendation to any SS owner is to beef up that wing. I never realized how much air that wing lets out as it flexes until I beefed up that wing. I can land it as less than a walking pace in higher grass and not even have a nose over. And that's using stock landing gear. It is a great little plane and believe me I have flown it more than any of my panes this year just for that reason.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
randall1959

Just my camera gear alone weighs more than 40 oz.........It'd give a SS a hernia......[X(]
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Mhale71

*cough* *cough* which seventh floor ?! *drops everything*