Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

camera weight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:57 AM
backyard123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camera weight?

I am thinking about getting into aerial photography, and i was looking at cameras. How heavy of a camera can most electric park flyers carry? Maybe something like a Slow Stick.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:02 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: camera weight?

most of the guys that use slow sticks are using some sort of pen cam. Aiptek makes one you can hook up a switch to that will plug directly into your receiver. Search for Aiptek in the forums and see what comes up.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 AM
critterhunter

I have an 800mw $40 ebay video mini cam (the kind that has a seperate TX card). Once I lost the RCA plugs, shortened the wires, and mounted it on a "L" shaped mount the total weight was around 1.8 ounces. This is without a battery as I'm trying to run it off the plane's. It's being carried on a Challenger and the plane handles OK with it although you have to adjust the controller trim slider to get it to climb better at full throttle.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
chicken hawk
My Feedback: (1)

I'm using the slow stick with a fairly heavy cam I got from ebay hooked to a 9volt batt. The cam is in a metal case, not sure what its weight is. So far it flies ok but i'm afraid when the DA goes up, there might be a problem. My climbouts are less than spectatular.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:10 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Depends basically how much $$ you wanna spend. I have an Aiptek Pencam wired with a switch that ran me about $75 ( 2 ounces ) , and that is what got me hooked on A/P. Now I have a pentax optio S4i with an MX switch. ( 4 unces ) That ran about $350 but it's a 4 megapixel camera that takes awesome pics. The slowstick can carry about 5 ounces of camera without being modified maybe more. When I was testing mine, I hauled up 10 ounces of weight on mine cause I have a 12 ounce canon 5 megapixel camera that I was hoping to haul up, but that was just way too much weight, even with a brushless motor setup.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 PM
backyard123

Wow! I wasn't expecting it to be able to carry any where close to that much weight. I will probobly go with the Aiptek Pen Cam with a servo attached to it. Does the 1.3 mp camera take good photos?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Pencam 1.3 SD with the MR. RC-CAM electronic switch..
It's a superb camera..
The images can have great detail.
However, the imager in the camera is subject to vibration, and occassionally the image will show wiggles..
And I mounted it extremely crudely on the YardStik..
And then made up a full-fuselage for the YardStik wings and tails, with the camera mounted on a tilting mount that permits the viewing angle to be changed in flight..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54257.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	193654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24545.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	193655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60167.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.5 KB