Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

New video...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New video...

Well, it aint wireless but I didnt want you guys to think I vanished off the face of the earth!
I have been just flying for the joy of it lately because I got kind of burnt out with all technical crap involved with the wireless stuff. I had forgotten how fun it was to just FLY something!
Anyway, I finished my Super Sportster 20, maidened it, rebuilt, flew and then dismantled a Kombat 40 Trainer, got myself a Magic 3D which is a blast to fly, destroyed my kit built Kaos , am nearly done assembling a Hangar 9 FuntanaS 40, and got my hands on an Airmadillo Kombat Bipe.
For those not familiar with the Kombat series, these are SPAD type planes with aluminum squarestock fuses and coroplast wings. My Kombat Bipe is powered by a GMS .76 ringed engine and flies like all hell.
Long story short, here is the video of the maiden flight. See, it WAS kinda on topic!
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/ground/Kombat%20Bipe.wmv]Kombat Bipe maiden flight.[/link]
Old 11-29-2004, 02:47 PM
okda452

Default RE: New video...

Hello Fubar-One.
I have enjoyed your Aerial Photography and Video adventures for several months. I am new to this field but I have flown rc for about 4 years now. I am experimenting with wireless video on my stick. I have recently purchased and received a 600 mw brown bag Kit from B/W. What is the best way to attach the camera? Where is the best position on the airplane to attached the camera and what is the best angle for forward looking video? Does the camera need to be fuel proofed and enclosed in a protective covering? Thanks in advance.....jb
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Fubar-One

Glad you enjoyed my efforts!
By ''Stick" I am guessing Ultra Stick, Big Stick or similar glow powered plane? I have tried several ways to attach a camera to a glow plane and the best results were with the camera attached to the underside of the left wing. I did this with my Kadet Senior ARF. I CA'd a piece of Sig Ply between the ribs in one of the innermost rib bays to get a solid base to attach to. Originally I mounted a servo there and attached a camera to that but got too much vibration to make the swivel option worth it. You shouldnt have to fuel proof the camera too much on that side unless you really have a messy engine. Any kind of balsa box with room for the camera board wrapped in foam with a hole for the lens to look thru should work. The camera pointed slightly out and down is usually the best focal point. This reduces the amount of propeller in the view and gets you more than footage of the horizon.
Installing a blind nut into the plywood in the wing so you can bolt thru where the camera box meets the wing would allow you to re-position the camera to look in any angle you want. Loosen the bolt, swivel the camera and re-tighten. Havent really tried this tho, it just came to me as something to try.
Balance the prop the best you can.
Another method I did was to make a box with a plexiglas window that I could mount to a "sled" on top of the wing.
I used this method to attach the system to the top of my Ultra Stick 60. I could unbolt it from the "sled" and re-attach it facing the other way. [link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/USBW1.wmv]USBW1[/link] was shot using this method. I needed more rubberbands tho. I would have epoxied the mount to the top of the wing if I had wanted to make this plane a dedicated video platform. Probably would have purchased a second wing for the plane.
Hope I was of some help with my ramblings!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88192.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	197894  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Nice video Dan, Is that the Sepulvada Dam in the background?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Fubar-One

Thanks!
Nope, wrong basin. That is Hansen Dam. Havent flown at Sepulveda in a while. Too many planes in the air make me nervous and the traffic sucks trying to get there when it opens on my Mondays off. Sure dig that runway tho! Maybe this monday if it aint raining.
I did shoot some onboard video there once but the results werent worth posting. [:-]