Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Infrared Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infrared Pictures

I have a very inexpensive digital camera that I removed the case of for use on my Slow Stick. The pictures it takes are great but I would like IR pictures. I know the detector will view IR light because when I point a remote at it and push a putton you can see it flashing. I want to know if it is possible to change the threshold to only detect IR or install a visible light opaque filter an increase the exposure. Any advise would be great.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Infrared Pictures

You can remove the IR filter from the lens to increase the amount of IR light that is detected. However, the results will not be the same as a true IR Thermal camera. For that, you need to spend a LOT more.

RC-CAM
Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Steve108

Where is the IR filter? I can post pics of the camera if nesasary.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
yb2normal

Once you get the IR filter removed, you mentioned a desire to filter visible light. You can purchase a visible light filter from a photo shop, I got mine from B&H photo.

these filters are pricey (the 'cheap' one is around $13) so one thing you can use as a poor man's visible light filter is a completely exposed piece of 35mm negative. Your local photo shop should have snippets of these laying around that they can give you. Generally these will be the film leaders that get cut-off as they cut the negatives for packaging. It will look completely opaque to your eye, but it will pass a surprising amount of IR light.

Regards,
Bill
Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
smokingcrater

Where is the IR filter? I can post pics of the camera if nesasary.

probably right in front of the CCD/CMOS or even integrated into the imaging assembly. it won't look like much, completely clear to visible light so don't expect to see anything that stands out. i don't know if any cameras use it, but it is entirely possible to add an ir blocking covering to one of the lenses itself, making removing it pretty much impossible...
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
mr.rc-cam

Where is the IR filter?
Here is an example on how to remove the IR filter from a popular low end digital camera:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138233

RC-CAM
Old 12-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Steve108

Wow, that's a great link! Thanks. Question though - When you say a complely exposed piece of negative, would that be exposed and developed or just exposed? Could I buy a roll of film at the dollar store (at like 2 for a dollar) and use that or do I need to take a roll, pull the film out, hold it up to the sun and then develop it?

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:50 PM
yb2normal

Sorry... Exposed AND developed.

That's why I suggested heading down to your local photo processor, they should be able to just give you a piece of exposed and developed film.

Regards,
Bill