Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Wireless Video Transmitters

Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
BiplaneCrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wireless Video Transmitters

Last season I installed a Black Widow system and it was fun to start out with. The camera is not the greatest, and the transmitter flickers too much for really nice movies.

Who has the nicest camera/tx set up this year?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 AM
2thDr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Wireless Video Transmitters

My BlackWidow system rocks.

How about some details? Camera model number? How many milliwatts is your transmitter? Are you using a patch antenna? Type of plane? Where are you mounting the transmitter? Where do you put the receiving antenna?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Biplane,

Post some pic's of your installation... you should be getting very good video from your system, and most issues are usually solvable with some effort.

If you want to take your video to "the next level", then stay tuned for the BWAV diversity receiver

Regards,
Bill

Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
BiplaneCrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The transmitter does not like any vibration. Even when surrounded by foam, the picture is choppy. I asked BW if it is warrenteed and no reply. The unit is one year old now with maybe 10 hours on it. I have even tried epoxying the entry for the wiresto protect against chaffing with theenclosure and still it has interference.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I *am* BW

A picture is worth a thousand words....

Regards,
Bill

Old 03-03-2005, 07:19 PM
BiplaneCrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A hah! Now I recognise your name Bill, and the relationship to BW.

I would send you a picture but I have none of the install since the plane I was using for AP crashed. I have posted a wiring diagram back a few months ago because there were a few posts regarding this issue.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2126935/anchors_2127212/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2127212]Link to post #1[/link][link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2011685/anchors_2011685/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2011685]Link to post #2[/link]

I am happy to hear of the addition to the diversity receivers. I am aware of the benifits from back in the day when I played guitar and worked as a sound engineer. The receivers choose the stongest singnal between the two antennas and therefore resulting in less signal loss and a pitter picture. I recall that I the only time I had problems with these rx's was when working aboard a cruise ship. the rx's would gather RFI while slipping into a port due to the strong and reletivly close frequencies of the marine and aircraft radios.

As far as the Rx I have from you, it does get a good picture. I did, while I had it mounted in a Protege, have the antenna mounted up and down thru the bottom of the plane. I will e-mail two videos to you. You may post them since I no longer keep a website. Epoxying the wire entry in to the case helped, but I think the wires may have been chafed beyond repair already and there is no removing that epoxy now.

Here are pic of two versions of the install... the pictures are better in real life, here they are pictures taken from the video I made directly from a TV. Hence the grainy look.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33740.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	237640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32598.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	237641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65548.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	237642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50941.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	237643  
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 PM
mklarich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Klarich_Electronics%2FBlackWidow_A%2FV_Diversity_R eceiver/m_2725092/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Klarich_Electronics%2FBlackWidow_A%2FV_Diversity_R eceiver/m_2725092/tm.htm[/link]
Old 03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
W4UAV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very good, Matt!!
I have seen a prototype of the diversity receiver at our field back in August. The video was incredible!!
No dropouts, no visible signs of switching at all, just great video!!
Sounds like just the thing Biplanecrasher needs!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 AM
BiplaneCrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yeah... more toys? no problem!

I neglected to say how my last set up was. Aside from the transmitter antenna pointing down thru the fuse, I had a mounted Fugi digital camera utilizing the video output. I made an adapter cable to run from the video output to the transmitter input.

What I may try next unless you all have a better idea is to use a lipstick camera of 480 lines with the present 600Mw 2.4 Tx and purchase a new diversity Rx and have a pilot's view. The camera I have from BW works well but the focal length is less desirable for this purpose. I think Bill carries cameras of different FL now. I would choose a lipstick camera because they already come in an aluminium case that protects the camera from pilots like me who tend to land nose first once in a while.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BiplaneCrasher

I had a mounted Fugi digital camera utilizing the video output.
That explains the 'choppy' output you described earlier... digital still cameras are usually designed to favor good exposure over full-rate video, so it is not uncommon to get a choppy video effect from them. Your idea to move to a regular video camera is a good idea since it will ALWAY output a full 29fps frame rate.

Regarding a camera, if you can hold off for a little while, I have a cased version of the KX131 coming. It offers both 12v and 5v operation (with a little soldering) and is rated at 380 lines and 1 lux. I will have a variety of lenses for it ranging from mildly telephoto (30 degree fov) to wide angle (116 degree).

The video link that Matt posted was shot from my little Graupner Terry using the uncased KX131 with a 116 degree lense.

Bill
Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 PM
qtip67t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would anyone have any ideas of where to look or get plans to use or make a servo that would be able to rotate 360 degrees powered by the onboard receiver battery and receive commands by the RX.
I want to make a mount that would be able to rotate 360 degrees, use the RX battery, and be able to use channel 6 to rotate the mount in either direction.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John
Independence, OR