Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What is your video set up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Huntster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your video set up?

I'd like to see what kind of set ups you all are useing.

What kind of camera? (CCD)
Color or B/W?

1 Ghz or 2 Ghz?

Do you Record your flights on VCR or Laptop?

How many fly using the video once your model is airborne?
Old 02-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Huntster

Default RE: What is your video set up?

Oh, Yeah!!! Do you get good video with your rig or is it just ok? What kind of range do your get. I know a guy who gets to the end of the runway only a few hundred yards and the pix gets fuzzy.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I have a couple of setups:
BlackwidowAV 200 mw 2.4ghz system using a Panasonic CX161 CCD camera.
Record the flights with a Sony TRV-120 Digital 8 camcorder.
Patch antenna on the rx.
Excellent picture and reception.
Mounted in a Wingo w/ 1100mAh Nimh pack and geared motor:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/wingo2.wmv]Wingo 2[/link]
After a high speed crash I needed to replace both the transmitter and one of the cameras I use. Video shot after the rebuild. Oh yeah, the Wingo was a total loss and I replaced that too:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Wingo%20Redux.wmv]Wingo Redux[/link]
This same system mounted in an EPP slope combat plane:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Grass%20Mountain.wmv]Grass Mountain[/link]

My other system is from Supercircuits.com and uses a 900mhz tx and a very high definition CCD camera. In this video my father is tracking the plane (Kadet Senior ARF) with a hand held yagi (beam) antenna. Actually flew above/beyond eyesight during this flight and had to spiral the plane down to re-acquire it visually. Blue is not a good color choice for a video plane.
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Kadet%20900.wmv]Kadet 900mhz[/link]
Broadband is needed to view these videos. These movies are old news to the regulars on this forum since I havent messed with aerial video since last summer.
Gotten back into building and flying just for the fun of it lately but I have a new Slow Stick with a brushless power system with LiPos and a new wing on the way so might have something new to share before much longer...

ORIGINAL: flyinghuntster

I'd like to see what kind of set ups you all are useing.

What kind of camera? (CCD)
Color or B/W?

1 Ghz or 2 Ghz?

Do you Record your flights on VCR or Laptop?

How many fly using the video once your model is airborne?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 PM
VULTCH

I have four systems. Transmitters are all Blackwidow as follows: 2- 200Mw 2.4GHZ, 1- 50MW Micro 2.4GHZ and 1- 600 MW 2.4 GHZ. Cameras: 2-Panasonic KX121, 1-Panasonic CX161 and several cheap CMOS surplus cameras. All are color. I converted all my planes to brushless electric. The three I use are the Dynaflite Butterfly and Piece-o-Cake and the third is a Kyosho AutoKite XP converted to electric. With a 6FT wingspan the Piece-O-Cake is easy to spot and a slow flyer and with 2100mah HE Cell LI-PO battery could stay up until the transmitter goes dead. For higher altitude the Butterfly with a 99IN. span is my preference. It does well in breezy conditions and stall speed is about 14MPH. I'm using a 4200MAH HE-Cell 11.1 V LI-PO battery. An 1100mah Ni-MH receiver battery and 1450MAH LI-PO video battery in this one. The Autokite is great for areas with limited runway and 400FT of altitude. Because the sail is triangle it is easy to loose orentation at a distance, so I use this one for just tooling around. I use an Emerson VCR on the ground and a GP Patch Ant ( Thanks MR.RC CAM ) on the receiver. I like the quality on all the systems. Vultch
Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

FUBAR is the wingo the only electric you have? is it brushless and is the wing modified Man that wingo is FUGLY but it looks like it gets the job done.I am setting up a Slow stick for AP. Tired of the glow for now to messy for AP plus I want to venture into other areas
Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

The Wingo is the only electric that carries video gear at this time. Not sure which picture you saw but the latest incarnation doesnt use the "periscope" setup that the original had. I made an EPP block that fits inside the nose to hold the camera with a hole bored in the nose for the camera to look thru. Allows me to look forward or forward and down.
The power system is a standard brushed can motor but has a gearbox and spins an 8" APC prop.
Battery for the plane is an 1100mAh Nimh 7 cell pack. I have had close to 30 minute flight times with good throttle management. No real point to go brushless on that plane.
I also have a Slow Stick that IS brushless but I have a cut foam wing ordered for it along with a couple 1500mAh high discharge 3 cell LiPo packs. The above mentioned Nimh packs will fly it around ok but not really up to the job. Add an RCCamman modified Aiptek camera and the motor cuts out almost immediately. 8.whatever volts just isnt enough for both the brushless and the camera.
When I get the extra goodies for the Slow Stick I will probably attempt to run my BWAV video system on it also.
As far as just electrics go, I also have a well used and abused Zagi with a cobalt motor but no plans to make it an AP platform.