Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

BWAV - Black Widow Video.. This is just AWESOME !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

BWAV - Black Widow Video.. This is just AWESOME !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:06 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BWAV - Black Widow Video.. This is just AWESOME !!!!

I bought two 2.4 transmitters, a reciever, and a high-res Sony camera from Black Widow video a while back. We all know by now that the stuff BWAV sells is really high quiality stuff and I was very pleased with the radio gear. The Sony camera came sealed in its bag in new condition, but when I tried it in low light levels there were dead pixles (no fault of BWAV, manufacturing defect from Sony)... I sent Bill an email and told him about the problem with the camera and he immidately sent me a new camera and told me to send the defective one back if the new one worked better when I hooked it up. Talk about support, I have NEVER had a company replace something so fast and without any hassle. Most mail order companies dont want to even hear from you after they have your money[:@]... I guarantee none of those cheap ebay companies would back up their products like this if at all[:-]....

The new Sony camera is perfect, no dead pixels and the quality is incredible. I have another pretty good CCD bullet camera that I thought good picture until I got the Sony... The way it handles contrast, color and different light situations makes my other cameras picture look cheap.

Even though BWAV stuff is not cheap, if you buy from Bill you will only have to buy ONCE. I read so many cases where people waste thier money on cheaper Ebay stuff that does not work worth a darn and end up buying from BWAV after wasting money and time. Top quality equipment, fair prices, and support beyond what I expected... I will always buy from BWAV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75928.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	277841  
Old 05-29-2005, 02:26 PM
roltech

Default RE: BWAV - Black Widow Video.. This is just AWESOME !!!!

Good Stuff "Now would be real nice to see some of your videos". I have a so called cheap system and the quality is poor! I'm thinking of getting a black video, are there different models? better or worst?

roltech
Old 05-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I have had the most success with the BWAV 2.4ghz 200mw systems. I have installed this system in both a Wingo and a slope combat plane with the following results:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Wingo%20Redux.wmv]Wingo Redux[/link]
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Grass%20Mountain.wmv]Grass Mountain[/link]

These videos are from last summer. I havent been doing the video bit lately due to too many projects and lack of anything new to video. Need some new scenery!
Also on the site are videos from various other systems such as the Ebay stuff and a fairly expensive 900mhz system with a hi res camera.
Shot this one using a yagi antenna which my father kept aimed at the plane. Lost visual on the plane twice due to altitude. I dont fly by wire.
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Kadet%20900.wmv]Kadet 900[/link]

To the old timers here: yeah, I know this is old footage...
Old 05-29-2005, 10:38 PM
roltech

Nice videos lot better than mine. I now know what to get "Thanks"

roltech
Old 06-01-2005, 12:56 AM
radobahn

Nice clean video! How are you getting reception like that? I've got the BWAV 600mw setup and am having problems with lines across the screen and occasional 1-2 second dropouts. Thats line-of-sight flight with someone pointing the patch antenna directly at the model... I'm thinking of the Diversity RX but not sure yet.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Fubar-One

I also have one of the 600mw tx's and for some reason the reception is not as good with it as the 200mw rx. This 200mw rx is my second one, the first one not surviving too well a nose dive from 100'. Buggered the tx and destroyed the camera. Both tx's worked great with the standard dipole antenna and the patch but the patch reception was the best by far. I have a video shot at the local Renaissance Faire where I walked thru the parking lot flying the plane out over the Faire while the wife stayed at the truck holding the patch antenna. Reception was fantastic but due to wind turbulance and a magnifying lens on the camera pointed down the video is kind of hard to watch if you have a weak stomach.
So, I dunno... As I said I have had much better luck with the 200mw tx than the 600. Even stuck it on the back of my Ultra Stick 60 and put it thru all the wild gyrations I could think of with very few dropouts:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/USBW1.wmv]USBW1[/link]
I didnt have the patch antenna yet at this stage...
Man, Im getting the bug again. I might have to dig the equipment out and shoot some more AV.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
mattchase

Dangit, I had just decided (with Bill's help!) that I was going to get a 600mw system, and now you guys are saying you get better results from the 200mw kit? Is it the brown bag kit or the urban flight pack that you use? And can you elaborate on why you feel you get better results even though it is a lower powered tx?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

I also have one of the 600mw tx's and for some reason the reception is not as good with it as the 200mw rx. This 200mw rx is my second one, the first one not surviving too well a nose dive from 100'. Buggered the tx and destroyed the camera. Both tx's worked great with the standard dipole antenna and the patch but the patch reception was the best by far. I have a video shot at the local Renaissance Faire where I walked thru the parking lot flying the plane out over the Faire while the wife stayed at the truck holding the patch antenna. Reception was fantastic but due to wind turbulance and a magnifying lens on the camera pointed down the video is kind of hard to watch if you have a weak stomach.
So, I dunno... As I said I have had much better luck with the 200mw tx than the 600. Even stuck it on the back of my Ultra Stick 60 and put it thru all the wild gyrations I could think of with very few dropouts:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/USBW1.wmv]USBW1[/link]
I didnt have the patch antenna yet at this stage...
Man, Im getting the bug again. I might have to dig the equipment out and shoot some more AV.

Perhaps the potentiometer was not set correctly on your 600 mw transmitter?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 AM
radobahn

Would adjusting the pot on the TX be easy to dial in while watching the video signal...or is it not that simple? Any help appreciated..
Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Fubar-One

Beats me.
I flew it the one time then put it in a drawer and went back to the 200mw one. When I got the 200mw setup it was the do it yourself setup which predates the brownbag setup I believe. Bought the tx, rx and cam and wired it up myself.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:58 AM
VULTCH

I have both the 200mw and 600mw, and had better results with the 200mw. Seems the 600mw is too powerful thus a lot of reflections causing multipath interference (not really drop outs) . I'm convinced at longer ranges 800+ Ft away the 600mw will really show it's stuff. I need to install it on my Dynaflight Butterfly and see what it will do.

Vultch
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: VULTCH

I have both the 200mw and 600mw, and had better results with the 200mw. Seems the 600mw is too powerful thus a lot of reflections causing multipath interference (not really drop outs) . I'm convinced at longer ranges 800+ Ft away the 600mw will really show it's stuff. I need to install it on my Dynaflight Butterfly and see what it will do.

Vultch

That's where the Diversity Receiver comes in................
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
rcairplanenut

Hi All,

I had my first flight running a BWAV system and it works good. The patch ant. likes the far range stuff. Still needs some tweaking but it seems like a good setup

SG
Old 06-18-2005, 05:00 PM
sky-pilot

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

I have had the most success with the BWAV 2.4ghz 200mw systems. I have installed this system in both a Wingo and a slope combat plane with the following results:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Wingo%20Redux.wmv]Wingo Redux[/link]
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Grass%20Mountain.wmv]Grass Mountain[/link]

These videos are from last summer. I havent been doing the video bit lately due to too many projects and lack of anything new to video. Need some new scenery!
Also on the site are videos from various other systems such as the Ebay stuff and a fairly expensive 900mhz system with a hi res camera.
Shot this one using a yagi antenna which my father kept aimed at the plane. Lost visual on the plane twice due to altitude. I dont fly by wire.
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Kadet%20900.wmv]Kadet 900[/link]

To the old timers here: yeah, I know this is old footage...
Did you controll the plane from a LCD or what??