Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

AIPTEK ISDV for $97 but how to work with MPEG4???

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

AIPTEK ISDV for $97 but how to work with MPEG4???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Lynner532

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIPTEK ISDV for $97 but how to work with MPEG4???

I'm considering buying the new AIPTEK ISDV from Target. Their having a father's day sale and offering this little camcorder for $97. Will take up to 512 card.

I'm concerned about being able to work with video on a card and in MPEG4 format. I already have a video capture card but that's for analog and I would want to stay digital with no conversions. Don't have a firewire on my PC but I don't think the AIPTEK outputs firewire anyway.

I'm hoping if I get a simple card reader I'll be able to copy the video to my PC in native format, and then one of the latest video editing suites would be able to capture it directly.

Found a review site on the net that rates Power Director 4 above Ulead, Pinnacle and others.

http://video-editing-software-review...or-review.html

Anybody have experience with this camera, with Power Director 4, or with capturing video from a card?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: AIPTEK ISDV for $97 but how to work with MPEG4???

It sounds like you have the AIPTEK 5100 camcorder but I'm not sure. If so, you'll find the video of good quality (see my prior post last week). I noticed the camera uses an .ASF video format (not sure if it's mpeg 4 or not). It can be converted to .wmv format but I found some degradation of video quality so have been sticking with the proprietary format (.ASF).

I have Pinnacle Studio 9 and it does not recognize the .ASF so I used Ulead Video software editing to convert to .wmv format.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Troglotech

Connection to your PC is via your USB port (if you have one). This can be a pretty quick transfer if your ports are USB2, and rather slow if they are the older USB1. The video resolution is 640 x 480 (VGA) which is adequate and certainly better than most, but the stills capability looks great at 5 mega pixels (2560 x 1920).

The 'ASF' format video is MPEG4, you may need to download some Codec's for your PC to be able to play them (possibly supplied with the camera). Most video editing suites will convert this to 'wmv' but sometimes, if you want to edit the footage, it is better to convert to an 'avi' as there is no loss in resolution. Some software cannot edit the footage in ASF format, but just about all will edit avi's.

The model number for the ISDV is the 5700, more details can be found here:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=DC1
Old 06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

You shouldn't need a card reader, as the camera comes with a usb cable that you can plug directly into your PC. I just picked up one of these cameras today and I can't wait to try it out. Still waiting for battery to charge.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
rcairplanenut

HI ALL,

does anyone know of a good ASF to AVI or MPG converter that is free that does not put there logo on the screen?

SG
Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Hey! If you get it online, you get 50 sheets of photo paper with it. Do you get that in the store?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Check out this tread for a video I made with this camera. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3084902/tm.htm]Here[/link]
Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Question?

Can this camera be connected directly to a receiver to trigger the shutter when taking stills?

Thanks

Rich
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
CostaRica1

There's a software...avi create and it's free.