Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Less than 400' and way less than a Mile

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Less than 400' and way less than a Mile

Old 09-07-2005, 05:58 AM
lvspark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less than 400' and way less than a Mile

I was out getting some AP of a house fire and stopped by the mall on the way home...
Little bit of a side wind, but not bad and the camera worked pretty good.. It appears that I need to work on the infinity focus a little...
http://www.rsnw.com/bnb.wmv
Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
W4UAV

Default RE: Less than 400' and way less than a Mile

Aw man, I thought I was going to see the house fire AP!!!
Very nice, stable video, very clean, nice catch!!!
good job!!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
lvspark

I haven't DL the pics from the cam yet.... It was dark so I am guessing it will just be a blur.. I'll post em if any come out..
Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
lvspark

Here they are...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47909.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	321648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12324.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	321649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	321650  
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 AM
lvspark

Here is the the same pic but messed with to show the house more....

Name:	Ig12446.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	321802  
Old 09-09-2005, 04:40 PM
W4UAV

Thats not bad at all, I can tell the details from the original
after looking at the modified pic.
Still, very cool, its not your average photo.

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 03:11 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

Hey LVSPARK--
You have put together some nice videos...I'm fairly new to aerial photog, but it seems to have gathered all of my interest as of lately. Ive recently contracted with a Local Golf course to do Video "fly overs" of each of their Holes.to put them on their website for people to see...or to put into a production if they had a tournament...being able to get this done was at one time a FORTUNE...But Now with the RC Photography The response for this idea is HUGE..and It looks like I'll be able to actually make something out of this...ANYWAY at this time I have a cheap Rig(wireless 2.4 ghz swann) and Im making a patch antenna now..But Im using an Aiptek IS-DV DIgital Camcorder and getting pretty decent results. after I saw your Video (the one with the Grain elevator and 1 mile away) THAT Video just spakred so much Slow STick Interest it wasnt funny...LOL>.SO...LAst night I went out and BOught myself a Slow stick and Put it together...Ive Noticed On That same video (in front of the van) you had a Black and a red SS Sitting there. the VErtical Stabilizer wing just seems to look completely different than the one I have. Can I get that one anywhere? ANy suggestions or Links to info on SS MOds will be GREAT, and DId YOu Make the detachable TAilpiece when assembling yours?>,,,,Ive heard some people say not to do it...Is it for storage or transportation of something?...ok Dude....Thanks for any help or ideas you may lend...and keep up the good work. OH I checked out your website...pretty nice what type of camera are you using for those breathtaking Still Photos?

Take CAre
DV
Glen Burnie MD
Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
kd7ost

Check out post 16 in this thread for a list and links to some of Ivsparks other works.

Dan

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3335471/tm.htm
Old 10-21-2005, 08:04 PM
SpitfireAce

Great Video with one of the best songs EVER!!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:57 AM
lvspark

ORIGINAL: GAGE308

you had a Black and a red SS Sitting there. the VErtical Stabilizer wing just seems to look completely different than the one I have. Can I get that one anywhere? ANy suggestions or Links to info on SS MOds will be GREAT, and DId YOu Make the detachable TAilpiece when assembling yours?>,,,,Ive heard some people say not to do it...Is it for storage or transportation of something?...ok Dude....Thanks for any help or ideas you may lend...and keep up the good work. OH I checked out your website...pretty nice what type of camera are you using for those breathtaking Still Photos?
The tail feathers are made from 2mm coroplast. They are pretty light, and touch as nails. The black wing is from a Mt Models Magpie. I did not use the detach tail option.. It is for storage/transport, but weakens the airframe. If you plan to haul a load, do not use the plastic fuse coupler. The pics on my site were taken with a pocketcam X and a couple were with my olympus D-560. Both have a servo board hack for trigger and use BEC power.

Thanks for the link Dan, and Im glad you others enjoy the show..

Here is a couple pics from the olympus.. The construction site was yesterday, sunset.. and the river was today in the late afternoon.

Name:	Vt57920.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	342222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83645.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	342223  
Old 10-22-2005, 07:28 AM
GAGE308

LVSPARK-
The Pocket cam x? Is that the 2.1 megapixel one? I would have thought those pics were taken with something A LOT more expensive. It just seems like the clarity is so Good...Well I guess I should be able to get comparable stills with my Aiptek IS-dv since it is 5mp...Im sure A LOT of your success is owed to knowing when and at which angles the Light will be playing in yor favor...Cool
Old 10-25-2005, 05:34 AM
GAGE308

Lvspark...Im just CHOCK full of questions...Im sorry to be so inquisitive But I see the things you are operating with and I WANT THEM..LOL...Can you tell me the make of the Goggles you are using in that video above?...do they work well?...Im not even sure where to look for them. Thanks
Dv
Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 AM
twinturbostang

Here's one source: http://www.vrealities.com/main.html

Not cheap though. I did some work for an entertainment company, setting up some "Virtual NASCAR" driving simulators. They used gutted go-carts with nascar'ish shells over top of them, together with a steering wheel and pedal assembly and a 3D stereoscopic headset. You could play Nascar Thunder on a PC with this and it was pretty cool! lvspark's glasses look very similar to what we used, which were the i-glasses. He's probably only running a mono channel though. But again, expensive stuff.

Hmm. that'd be really cool to have two camera setups on the plane so you could get the stereo 3D view!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM
GAGE308

Yeah well I was thinking something along the lines of 2 camera setups as well...But with one looking straight below and one looking straight ahead and just close one eye at a time to view seperate camera angles..OR have the use of only one eye to see the display and have the other eye able to look out toward the plane to Physically see whats going on without the cam. Im a long way from getting the goggles...I still need a good wireless setup But Im just kind of trying to get an idea of whats to come. I heard of a guy on another thread that paid $200 for a pair and they werent bad.
Dv
Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
lvspark

I paid $125 for the I-glasses off ebay

Try a search on ebay for HMD there should be a bunch out there...

And for clear pics from the pcam X, you need alot of light, and when they are edited and resized, they do appear clearer.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
twinturbostang

ORIGINAL: lvspark

I paid $125 for the I-glasses off ebay

Try a search on ebay for HMD there should be a bunch out there...
Wow, that's a good deal! That isn't for the stereo version glasses though is it? Because those are $800 or so new.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
lvspark

It has a single video input, and L/R audio. The video has a 3 position slide switch that provides std and 2 different modes of 3d viewing (accomplished by high speed switching I think) The simulated 3D is o.k. for games and movies, but for RPV, std provides the best picture without getting dizzy
Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM
twinturbostang

Oh, so it sounds like yours has the capability of doing stereoscopic 3D. And yes, it's sort of an interlaced signal, where the video sent to the glasses alternates... left signal, right signal, left signal, etc... The glasses lock on to this and show the correct image to the correct eye. This is only possible if you have two video feeds though. If you have just one video feed, it is sent to both eyes and the image looks "flat". I'm not sure what the "simulated 3D" is that you spoke of.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 PM
typicalaimster

TwinTurbo,

Not to far south of you, on the other side of the river, I've been flying with a low cost pair of video glasses. They are put out by a company in Canada... www.mp3playerstore.com. They work well to start out with. I have since went from the video glasses to a 7" LCD screen I can watch. It was getting to be a pain in the butt with the glasses. I should have my new RPV ready and in action in the next couple weeks. I believe there is a field across the river over there in Germantown. I can pop over and pay the club a visit if you'd like.

--Scott
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
twinturbostang

A little low on pixel count. But not too bad actually. The nice thing is it looks like it has an S-video and RCA jack input. The ones that I was using for the virtual games had a VGA connector. They were designed to plug directly into a PC. So unless you carry your PC with you to the field, and run a video capture program real time, you would have to adapt the S-video or RCA signal to a VGA signal. So anyway, looks like a good deal you found.

There's a club just outside of Germantown... www.dc-rc.org. I just got back in to the hobby a few months ago. I'm flying electrics at local parks and at work. So I haven't joined the club yet. But I have a glow plane (and helicopter) I used to fly when I was a kid and I'd like to fly those again. So I'll probably be joining sometime soon.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:19 AM
deb1033

LVSpark, nice video. I couldn't believe how good the quality of it was. I was wondering if you could tell me what type of camera you used, how much it wieghs, and where i can get one. It would be greatly appreciated. Also do you think it would work on a Hobby Zone Firebird Commander 2 with a 380 class motor.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:43 AM
GAGE308

Hey Guys....Hope everyone had a great holiday...Quick question to lvspark and a suggestion to DEB1033...Lvspark...I was wondering if you could tell me the difference in flight or the main reason you use a Magpie wing on one of your slow sticks. I just ordered One it should be in Today actually just because it looks to be able to fly Through the wind a bit better..I appreciate your advice...DEEB1033. I have a commander 2..in fact..its the plane I learned to fly with..as far as a wireless camera on it it probably would work...but you would probably better be suited to use a bit bigger of a plane...If you want to stay with the RTF planes (as opposed to building a kit or making your own) I would HIGHLY reccomend the aerobird extreme...if you have mastered the commander2 then a few days of flying with the extreme would have you in control(once you start to use the elevator for your up and down control. The extreme will be better suited for carrying that extra weight.I use an onboard mini DV cam mounted underneath..I actually gutted my extreme and replaced all of the electronics with top notch stuff...JR - Reciever,servos..e-flite esc...It actually gave the Stock brushed motor A LOT More punch...I'v since started construction on a new custom extreme with a Powerful brushless motor and control rods(instead of lines and rubber band)...IF you get interested let me know I'll post some pics of it just email me at [email protected]. BUT if you decide to equip the commander 2 with a wireless cam I'm sure with care...you'll be able to get some decent footage if you have the right antenna and other equipment..Im sure Lvspark will be able to guide you in the right direction for that.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
deb1033

thanks for the adivice gage. Now i will for sure get an Aerobird Xtreme This month.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM
GAGE308

Oh Cool ---.Flying at first will feel Very close to flying the commander but and you'll be flying it like you were used to by applying throttle toraise altitude then letting off to drop down...But This Bird is a lot heavier than the commander AND Faster...so Just keep in mind you'll need to use the elevator controls to fly it properly. Mainly because it wants to glide forever on landings But You'll get teh hang of it in no time. I Highly suggest you look at all the different Threads regarding Mod's to the extreme. There are a BUNCH Of them that I highly reccomend you do before ever flying once. They are safeguards to help the plane better withstand the crashes that WILL HAPPEN...even the best of flyers have crashes once in a while..LOL...Expecially that day you try you first loop and you are too close to the ground...You nned to put these Mods in place to better secure the motor..also to protect the prop from Cutting into the motor mount during a crash...wing reinforcement. control horn options and so on...when You get your extreme Just let me know and I'll try to help point you in the right direction for all the stuff you need to do. To Everyone else!!...I'll SCOLD MYSELF NOW...I drifted WAY OFF TOPIC...Sorry about that I'm just rambling a bit trying to Help someone out. any more aerobird extreme subjects will be discussed elsewhere/LOL
Old 11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
lvspark

ORIGINAL: GAGE308

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference in flight or the main reason you use a Magpie wing on one of your slow sticks. I just ordered One it should be in Today actually just because it looks to be able to fly Through the wind a bit better..I appreciate your advice...
It does go through wind much better. With the magpie wing on the ss fuse, and a smaller diameter/higher pitch prop, it fly's more like a "normal" plane and not a park flyer.. It will fly faster and cut through higher winds.. I usually take the SS wing and magpie wing with me when I fly.. I change them depending upon wind conditions, or the task that needs to be accomplished.

When you build yours, be sure to really beef up the LE and TE where the rubberbands go to prevent crushing.... The TE is really thin..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.