Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Is a Voltage Regulator required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
hilux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Voltage Regulator required?

I have a Kx131 cdd camera and a 4.8 volt mini transmitter for my system. Will be running the system off 4.8 volt battery pack.

Is a voltage regulator required as the voltage can’t get over 4.8 volts and when the batteries loss charge I assume the camera and transmitter will just stop until they receiver the correct voltage.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:26 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Is a Voltage Regulator required?

The big danger is that when a NIMH or similar battery is freshly charged, the voltage is actually around 5.3 volts [X(] Your big danger here is that you may over voltage the camera and burn it out due to the high voltage of a charged pack. As the voltage runs down, the camera will eventaually stop working, a regulator will not prevent this, the regulator will only reduce the voltage, it wont increase the voltage of a weak pack...

So the big questoin is, does the camera have a regulator built in ? What is the cameras maximum voltage rating ? Cameras are VERY sensitive to over voltage, so be sure you check before start using this thing. Ask the people you bought it from, just make sure you get someone that knows the answers to these questions, dont take advice from the phone girl that is probably just reading an advertisement for that device... Get the picture ??? If 5.3 volts is beyond its specs then you most definately need a regulator.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 PM
hilux

The camera is using a Sony chipset and the max Voltage is 5.5v and minimum around 3volts. So I should be aright without a regulator as no over voltage should occur.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Yep, you are good. You wont get more than 5.5 with a 4 cell pack, and the camera will just drop out when the voltage gets to low Just try not to let the voltage get that low, because discharging NIMH cells to far will damage them and shorten thier life [X(]

Good Luck, and post us some videos !!!