Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for PTZ video cams or mounts?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Suggestions for PTZ video cams or mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
joeljkp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for PTZ video cams or mounts?

[Note: I asked this over on rcgroups.com as well.]

I'm new to aerial photography, but am participating in a team project to come up with something capable of it.

The goal is to fly around 300-500ft altitude and be able to pick out ~4x4 ft markers on the ground with high enough resolution to make out something large printed on them, tell their orientation, size, etc. Note that this isn't strictly a photography competition, and using off-the-shelf parts is encouraged.

We've narrowed the desired system down to a PTZ turret camera mounted on the underside of the aircraft, and we'd like to purchase such a thing instead of building one from scratch.

We don't have any particular requirements about video output type, as we'll be purchasing something else to transmit to the ground. We'd like something with less than a 10" base dimension, and with enough zoom to be able to make out details of the objects. Calculations tell us that something on the order of 10x optical zoom should be able to do it well. Our price range is in the hundreds or low thousands.

We have a general list of the cameras we've found so far on our website.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this kind of thing? We're willing to look at either fully-integrated camera turret systems, or simply empty turrets we could put our own camera into.

Thanks in advance, and we appreciate the opinions of any photography experts in the crowd, since we definitely aren't.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:10 AM
W4UAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for PTZ video cams or mounts?

The cameras you all have listed on your site are great.
I just read your systems meeting, if you are using onboard wireless router(s) you should be able to use the cameras
on your list, the problem we had with onboard wireless routers was antenna orientation, try a circularly polarized
patch antenna on the receive side, itll keep a connection no matter the orientation of the antenna on the airplane!

You can get these from: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2409p.php

Hope this helps!