Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Here's a low-cost wireless video system that really works!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Here's a low-cost wireless video system that really works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:30 PM
chronister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a low-cost wireless video system that really works!

Wireless video cameras are a lot of fun because you can get a live view from your plane while it's flying! Or record it for later viewing. I've done a lot of this including some shots looking straight down on my house! (Yeah, had to take off and land in the street, which was interesting.)

The problem is, most of these cameras are either too cheap, or too expensive! You can get one of the cheap 1.2 GHz cameras on ebay for $20 or so, plus shipping from Hong Kong. The signal comes and goes and you have to constantly fiddle with the tuning knob.

Or you can pay $200 or more for a good 2.4 GHz system. But I found a really nice 2.4 GHz camera and receiver setup, with sound, for only $99! It even comes with two 9 volt batteries and battery clips for both the transmitter and receiver. (Some others expect you to use an AC adapter on the receiver which is obviously no good in the field.)

Here it is: [link=http://www.flyabird.com/camera.info.html]http://www.flyabird.com/camera.info.html[/link]

They also have a lighter version where the camera is powered by the RC receiver, so it doesn't need a separate battery.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
jltray

Default RE: Here's a low-cost wireless video system that really works!

I looked at the website and the sample video they have posted is not very good. It's jerky and poor video quality.

Just my opion, but I'll look at others.

Jimmy
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 AM
chronister

Default RE: Here's a low-cost wireless video system that really works!

The sample video is not very good, but here is why:

1. It's the very light version, which they modified to get power directly from the RC receiver. That results in interference. I have the regular version and it does not have this problem.

2. Incidentally, the jerkyness is because they flew it on an ornithopter - flapping wings - so the whole thing was bouncing up and down with the motion of the wings. I guess they did that to show how light it was - even an ornithopter could carry the weight.