Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Will this work ??? … or have I lost it !

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Will this work ??? … or have I lost it !

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:04 AM
FatBoy123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work ??? … or have I lost it !

Hello everyone,

I just wanted your honest opinions and advise on this, will this really work, or will I be the laughing stock of the field when I show up this weekend.

The plane is a 96 inch wingspan Decathlon with a MVVS 2.1 (35cc). It takes off pretty fast and I can do loops and spins, although it dose them slowly, but it dose them.

The camera, stand and all came out to 1.8kg (3.9lb) and now I really have doubts as to if it’ll take off nicely with this. The stand is VERY rigid and strong, it dose not budge or wiggle even a little. And I have even attached it to the stand from the bottom with a screw where the tripod rests. The camera is exactly on the CG and the CG is fine now.

Looking forward to your comments and/or criticism.

Mohammad Reza.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49509.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	376230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56283.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	376231  
Old 12-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Skycam41

Default RE: Will this work ??? … or have I lost it !

My opinion is yes it will carry the load but you may want to test it with a dummy load first, just in case.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:35 AM
FatBoy123

That is a GREAT idea, I wonder why I did'nt thought of that first. Thanks skycam.

... in fact I do have some 12v lead acid batteries lying around somewhere which I think are about that weight.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:09 PM
David Cutler

Looks like it'll handle the extra wing loading OK. Two things though:-

Be careful with the elevator trim. I bet it will need some down trim to compensate. Also, be prepared to come in to land a bit hotter and keep a watch out for a snap at this weight.

Make sure the exhaust is discharging as far from the camera as possible. I don't think video cameras like dirty oil very much!

Good luck.

-David C.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM
3dbob37n

Hi Mohammad- Yes, I agree that it will fly it. Your wheels seem a bit small, however, if you are flying off ashphalt they should be OK. If you fly off grass, it might be well to install some larger wheels.
However, if I were flying this aircraft. I would hold her on the ground a bit longer and let her build up speed before takeoff. I'm sure the wing is big enough to carry this extra load and assume the engine is pulling it well. I also agree that you should be careful with the elevator since it could snap on you if you pull too much elevator during takeoff.

You going to put some pictures on RCU for us to see?

3dbob
Old 12-27-2005, 02:06 PM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

A few thoughts from down under , vibration from the engine , and I would have some protection for the camera for a nose over[X(]
Old 12-27-2005, 02:16 PM
kd7ost

It could work but I think it looks like a potential night mare. You have a very light plane with a high wing. There is considerable stability in having the center of gravity (mass) below the wing. The fuselage is like a weight on a pendulum and wants to hang under the wing. Putting that big camera on top is going to make it easy to snap like what was said above. When you slow down and put some control throw in. the heavy part is going to want to hang below the light part. You will need to keep your speed high and you elevator and ailerons in check. That thing looks like it wants to flip on it's back. Don't make any sudden moves or hard rolls at slow speed or close to the ground.

Dan
Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I think it will fly just fine. I have flown some pretty crazy loads and stuff on airplanes before, and that camera is just a non issue. It should fly just fine if you have any skill as a pilot....

I would think that the vibration transmitted up through your stand might cause the camera problems. I would have wrapped it in foam or something... Video cameras like that do not like vibration,, a foam wrap would solve that problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 AM
FatBoy123

Thank you all for your wonderfull suggestions. the blue piece under the camera is a thick piece of foem so it should be ok.

Thank you again.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 PM
hiflyer2

I would just add that it looks like the camera is pointed through the prop. If it is, the pics may not be to your liking.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
elevator_up

Weight wise you may be ok, but this looks a little precarious. Nice new camera, stickers still attached, you must have high confidence that you wont deadstick at a far point. Also you might want to consider a method to secure it laterally also. As this flys the additional wind resistance may push the camera into the foam, making it not as secure and possible falling out in flight. a few test fights with a dummy of similar dimension and weight would be wise. Also when I carry heavy items I slightly increase elevator travel. Looking forward to seeing the results.