Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Video from Aerobird Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Video from Aerobird Xtreme

Hey Randall-
I was just wondering....Obn the plane that you built....Were you running an aerobird extreme wing?...or an aerobird challenger wing?... I ts been a while since I saw your pics...But I Thought for sure it was one of the red aerobird challenger wing...Im in the process of building my own Scratch plane...and am Trying now to decide on a wing...I actually Ordered a "MAGPIE" wing kit from Mountain models....and used it on my Slow stick....makes a GREAT Difference in terms of handling in winds...and smooth control for aerial video recording....Something you may want to consider....fi you DO Order from them at "mountainmodels.com...MAKE SURE You tell them to send you directions....I ordered the Wing...and opened the box thinking I'd be flying in a few minutes...and there was tow blocks of foam with wing halves in it...these funny shaped pieces of wood...and some strapping....a hickory wedge...Pixie dust Etc,...LOL....and No DIRECTIONS......SO...I found them online...and I THINK Its very much the best wing Ive ever used on a parkflyer.,,,,
Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 AM
sxates

Wow, you guys are giving me a ton of ideas. I'd love to have some more power on the ABX, so replacing the electronics or motor might be an option. I'm also getting annoyed with the stock tail, which I'm now on my third one, because it's just not very durable. Not to mention that the current flap system isn't very precise, and I'm constantly having to adjust it. Pushrods and a third party tail are also becoming very attractive

I think this ABX is going to cost a lot more than I originally thought. When I have the time/money to seriously invest in upgrades, I think I'll start a new thread for suggestions and advice on building one from scratch. You guys are very helpful.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
foreverNight

Heres a new vid i made today

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=MEFLscRCZj8
Old 01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
GAGE308

cool...I tell ya....Just stop buying the aerobird tails.....RIPOFF.....There is a guy on ebay that makes them out of coroplast and that is MUCH BETTER than the foam wings....BUT I HIGHLY Suggest just trying it yourself....Take your existing tail...Trace it onto a piece of coroplast (corrugated plastic)....You se them in signs along the side of the road or even at Wal mart...some of the No Trespassing signs are coro...Use like 2 or 3 mm....anyway...Just trace it and cut out your own...I made like 20 of them on a boring saturday night....and whats even cooler is ....Trace the original onto a bigger piece of coro....Then sketch slightly larger flaps...or different configurations....coroplast can be painted with any paint..just go to wal mart and use the 99 cent cans...Hmmm.,..what else?.......There are TONS Of ideas....Im actually Getting ready to open up an EBAY STORE selling Tail wing setups for The GWS SLOW STICK...since the Stock wings are great design...But HORRIBLY FLIMSY.....I have a few different types...coroplast...and then the xacto fiber board....its a really durable foam board....I make them similar to the stock...Then I make an extra large setup with 2 additional outer vertical stabilizers....and The whole setup is just about 33% Bigger to help with the extra loads that the AP flyers put on the plane....i LOVE The aerobird....But If you wanna really get into some slick Ap fun...and with a TON Of different configurations....switch to the Slow Stick...Its A LOT Like the Slo -v from Parkzone...In fact Park zone kind of copied it.....But You can get the plane for $30////Of course its a "ARF" Kit and you need to supply servos and batteries and the controller...It actually comes with a decent Brushed motor...But Most of the guys I know Stick Brushless Motors on them....I actually put My aerobird xtreme wing on my slow stick using some wing mount adapters I made./.....Flew GREAT.......OH...>another Thing Im thinking of putting in My ebay Store....a few different Camera Brackets Ive designed....for use on whatever plane you want....I use a very light weight metal...and with a spot welder I make it look very professional and even enable any servo to be mounted for still photography.....apply padding ETC.....But anyway....This stuf is all very easy as far as Im concerned...PLUS I have the equiupment to make it all....a lot of people out there want to haver these things...But just arent very crafty....Ok Guys....Good luck and keep the good vids coming in.....OHJ YEAH TRY TO REMEMBER.....CAREFUL SLOW Movements on teh stick....LEARN....STUDY....SMOOTH THOSE VIDEOS OUt.....Im not saying that anyones videos in particular are jumpy or all over the place....Im jUst saying that Everyones usually are at first....and after MANY MANY MANY Video flights....You FINALLY Figure out the TRick to SMOOTH Scenic videos.....OK GUYS>....
Have a Good one
Donnie V|
Old 01-13-2006, 01:31 AM
slagburn

ORIGINAL: Sky High

ORIGINAL: slagburn

The ISDV will shut down with the screen closed. I used to use a zip tie between the screen and body to keep it running until I noticed you can flip the screen over.
I think that maybe the shutdown issue of the ISDV is not caused by closing the screen but because there was no activity during a preset time and it went into sleep mode. This was an issue with DV cameras in their last generation but was resolved in the latest generation of many brands by allowing the user to switch that on or off. Before there was an option, the camera would go into sleep mode to save the battery and record heads after 5 minutes of no activity. Maybe there is a menu setting to defeat that feature or maybe he never exceeded a no activity period and therefore it didn't shut down on him.

Yep. I just read the specs and it does have an auto power saver timer. It will shut down after 60 seconds of no activity. Scroll down to Power Save in the specs at the link below.

Yep, there is an adjustable power saver setting on the camera. I've had it turned off since I bought the thing. There is also a switch in the screen hinge somewhere. If you leave the precision molded plastic alone the screen will come to rest just outside the trigger point. However snapping the screen tight to the body will shut off after about 30 seconds on my camera. The way I had it hung with rubber bands holding the screen in the locked position, this was a problem.. hence the zip tie or flipping the screen.

A few other things I have found: despite the screen showing right side up whether the camera is upright or inverted, it will make upside down videos. Good thing flat panels are easy to flip over.

The battery life looks pretty decent. Mine ran a 7" LCD with the TV out for 1 hour while taking 100 5 megapixel stills and a five minute video. The battery was still going but I got bored. So, that's one less add-on power supply to worry about.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
sxates

ForeverNight, it doesn't look like your video is working. Says it's not available.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 PM
foreverNight

try it now
Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 PM
airganism

great idea...but that is going to throw your trim so far out due to the parasitic drag that you might not be able to trim for it with the standard set-up on the abx. At the least i would assume that the added weight(even if centered perfectly on cg)and extension of it over the plane of the wing, will make control far less efficient. Any pitch instability on landing will likely be disastrous. Cams are available that are very much smaller and have a remote pack that can be mounted closer to the boom(lateral as well as vertical cg) I would imagine. The combination of the weight of the camera...effect increased by it sticking up so far seems a scary thing for your plane, camera and what you hope to achieve. Control is much effected by roll and pitch of course and this camera size and drag will really throw a wrench in that balance for good and controllable flight(with control surfaces left stock that is)....I believe.
Of course...If you do it and prove me to be full of ****, then I will happily eat my aero logic and enjoy your amasing videos if you post. Just hope they are not scarier and terminal to your camera and plane.

Best!.....
Old 01-14-2006, 02:21 AM
sxates

ORIGINAL: airganism

great idea...but that is going to throw your trim so far out due to the parasitic drag that you might not be able to trim for it with the standard set-up on the abx. At the least i would assume that the added weight(even if centered perfectly on cg)and extension of it over the plane of the wing, will make control far less efficient. Any pitch instability on landing will likely be disastrous. Cams are available that are very much smaller and have a remote pack that can be mounted closer to the boom(lateral as well as vertical cg) I would imagine. The combination of the weight of the camera...effect increased by it sticking up so far seems a scary thing for your plane, camera and what you hope to achieve. Control is much effected by roll and pitch of course and this camera size and drag will really throw a wrench in that balance for good and controllable flight(with control surfaces left stock that is)....I believe.
Of course...If you do it and prove me to be full of ****, then I will happily eat my aero logic and enjoy your amasing videos if you post. Just hope they are not scarier and terminal to your camera and plane.

Best!.....
Was this directed at me?

If so, the camera in the cockpit has worked pretty well--see the videos I've posted so far for evidence. It's a big nose heavy, and takes a longer runway to take off, but once in the air it does pretty well. Just can't quite manage a loop anymore
Old 01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
sxates

Well, I said it couldn't manage a loop with a camera in the nose, but I was wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=7eOA6_65zTg

All you need is about a 30ft dive and a 15mph headwind, and it'll loop just fine with the camera

And what is it about the ABX that seems to draw it straight for curbs when you land?!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
AngryCanuck

Not a bad video, however i find it strange how my pencam 1.3SD produces about the same image quality as that (quite a bit) larger video camera. Maybe its because i fiddled with the lense to make it more sharp, and maybe u can do that with the video camera. But If i have to chose vs the vid camera and the pencam, just on the vid quality, id probably have to go with the pencam just because its extremely easy to mount(I just glued a cellphone clip to the camera and clip it under the leading edge in the centre of the plane) and its a hell of alot lighter :P

Anyway heres the vid i took, maybe its just me but the videos shown with the cam corder dont seem better over the pencam :shrug:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...erobird+xtreme
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
sxates

Well, its kind of hard to judge the video quality of the two because both YouTube and Google recompress the video and make them smaller. Looking at the specs of the pencam, it's only taking 6-8fps at VGA resolution, while the ISDV is doing a full 30fps. For fast moving video, that higher frame rate really helps. The video coming off the camera is of much higher quality than what you see online, which has been edited and downsamped to a 1500k WMV file, then compressed even smaller by YouTube. If you'd like to compare some original footage, I can post some for comparison's sake.

I do imagine the lighter weight of the pencam makes it a good alternative to something bigger like the ISDV.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 PM
AngryCanuck

Yea id like to see the orginal video, see the difference and the fps.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 11:10 PM
sxates

Here's the 1500k WMV for the lake video:

http://www.sxates.com/atari/flight-01-09-06%20(ray%20hubbard).wmv

It's probably 90% of the original quality, and about 10x better than YouTubes.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 AM
sxates

BTW, the curbs from yesterday finally knocked off my poor foam nose from my ABX. Anybody have a recommended material for gluing it back on?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 AM
GAGE308

ok...as far as the rubber nose....(we'll start with the more important things...LOL)...I have found That...Plain old rubber cement works just fine to reconnect the bumper. anything stronger MAY Be more brittle...and its never ness. to have an adhering substance stronger or with more density than the original material. an In My opinion...well...If that WAS Teh aipetk is-dv in fact...( I wasnt totally paying attention to the last posts...The quality is far better than the pencam...NOT TO KNOCK THE PENCAM!!...But The Frame count is just Much higher and the vids sem to run much smoother....I Originally picked the is-dv for its great videos....But after blasting 3 of them to pieces...LOL...I switched to a bit more durable unit...and thats even with the is-dv cased in protection...The buttons just wear out...I Guess you get what you pay for....But I still HIGHLY Reccomend this cam for doing Ap./
Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 PM
airganism

What paint are you using??? I used krylon for plastic. even after wiping first with Lt to removbe mold release it does not hold great to the plastic fuse. So much for 'krylon 'for plastic'!!!! Pffff!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:57 AM
critterhunter

Can somebody weigh a stock Extreme for me (ready to fly with a 6 or 7 cell pack installed). I'm starting to doubt the stock ready to fly weight listed for this bird and I need one for comparison purposes to my Extreme converted to standard electronics.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:48 AM
sxates

I don't have a scale
Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
GAGE308

I have a scale but no stock extreme...LOL...
AIRGANISM---....Is that question directed to me? ( about the paint)...well that pic was from my old extreme....The new one (brushless) I havent yet painted...Im stil dialing it in. BUT....What I DO....is Usually stay away from all the model paint HYPE....you can really waste a lot of money there. But What I eventually used on that one was...Some sandpaper....Got the shiny plastic surface all buffed up...Then I used some Flat gray paint for a primer of sorts....Then another coat of it,....Then I used some Clearcoat to make it look shiny....I actually Fully painted the wing too...the top was all gray and the bottom was Hot red...,.alot of the times I simply use the cheap .99 cent wal mart paint....Im just trying to get it to look uniform...Not so much like a show plane.....on a side note.....has anyone seen the small UAV that our military is using a lot of in IRAQ and elsewhere?.. The Raven....Its REALLY COOL.....It uses the same concept as the aerobird....Not much bigger either....Its made of Kevlar.....and Actually comes in a 3 case setup for field use...the wing is in two pieces and the transmitter used has a "Hood" to lview in flight POV of the plane for piloting....Ive been thinking of making my own version of this....But I'm going to use something a bit lighter than Kevlar.....Maybe make the frame oout of a light wood or even plastic...Then coat it with a lightweight durable fiberglass.....and use an ABX Wing...I Think the Big Brushless I have in my ABX Conversion right now would push a bit more weight with no prob....well here is a Link to the RAVEN check it out.[link]http://www.avsuav.com/raven.html[/link]
have a great day ;-)
DV
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
sxates

Here's my latest video, flying around downtown dallas. Think I'm going to see if I can get some more footage down there--makes for interesting content I think

http://www.youtube.com/w/RC-Flyby%2C...?v=BLmkPnMaD6k
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 AM
GAGE308

Cool Video-
It seems you are really getting the hang of the Ap stuff. Great work. Now I just wanna say one thing here...and I dont want you to take it the wrong way ok?....The ABX is a great platform and is a good all around plane in the stock form. I Used the xtreme exclusively before I got into building my own....and slow sticks....and then Building standard elec. in the aerobird fuselage. What I really wanna caution you on is this. The Xtreme has a fairly inexpensive motor control built into its "all in one' reciever/motor control board there in the plane...and what happens is...after Long term use..You could possibly lose complete elec ...Motor AND Controls...Mid flight....Its something involving the motor control Im not THAT Technical with the electronic end....But what it does is it'll get really hot and Physically UNSOLDER The wire connecting the battery to the circuit board.Which means....you have NOTHING....LOL....Now please dont be discouraged here or stop flying or doing ap...I just want to let you know this could happen....and it doesnt need to be crashed or bounced around a lot to do this...Mine did it 3 times...3 different Planes.....I'd just be flying up in the air everything was great...then...NOTHING...no power...no control....Just watch my plane plummet down on its own...Usually in a spiral...Now these were planes that I didnt modify in any way whatsoever and the 3rd plane had never even had so much as a hard landing/. Now Hobbyzone will also Gladly replace the plane if this does happen....and Im not saying IT WILL...Im just saying that with A TON of Use...The chances of it happening are pretty high...and the only reason I Guess Im making a deal about it...is because I see you are doing some Urban Flying...over people...cars ...houses etc.,...So Like I said...Keep up the good work....Just Be careful....and hopefully you'll have a lot more good videos for us.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 PM
sxates

Thanks for the warning gage! I'd definitely like to replace the guts of this thing at some point, so maybe I'll make it sooner than later. I guess my dillema is, is it worth essentially rebuilding the ABX, or would a completely different plane be a better platform to start with. Don't want to rebuild the ABX to by an all purpose flyer/AP just because it's what I have sitting here if another plane would do that much better. What do you think? Should I stick with the ABX?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:36 PM
critterhunter

The stock board breakdowns are why I converted mine over to standard electronics. The FET provides juice to the motor and when it gets hot it will either fail and you'll still have servo function but no motor, or it gets even hotter and the battery wire unsolders from it as well...meaning NO control at all. I replaced a FET or two with better aftermarket ones only to have new problems crop up on me with the board (Mainly POT failures that would cause the servos to malfunction).

As for the Extreme being worth conversion? I think so. Think about this...I can buy an Extreme body (minus electronics) for $20 at my local hobby store. Another $20 for a wing. Another $15 for a tail...Or, since I make my tails from Coruplast they cost me nothing. There you have it, a large plane for $35 that also makes a great AP platform. Need a new body or wing? A simple trip to the local hobby store and you are back in action. Where else can you get a large plane body and wing for $35? You must remember that the Extreme is based on a 540 brushed motor and Sub C battery cells. This is mainly an RC car based drive system (not too many planes out there use Sub Cs or 540s). In other words, you've got yourself an electric platform that in general is much bigger than most electric park fliers out there. Install standard electronics in it and you can also probably save yourself some weight for lifting heavier cameras. Use a brushless motor and lipos and you will for sure save a ton of weight for better lifting ability. Beyond all that, it's a very cool plane to own. It's large so it will handle stronger winds that most parkflyers. It also is easier to see at greater distances due to it's size. Not to mention the plane is fun to stunt with or just lap around the field with on a lazy day. With my 3300ma Sub C packs I get TONS of flying time...like in the 20 to 40 minute range depending on how much full throttle time I do. I have to sit in a chair so I don't get tired of standing. Nothing more relaxing than sitting in a chair on a lazy summer day and flying the big old Extreme around.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:46 PM
sxates

Well, I think the next most likely candidate would be a slow stick--also very cheap for parts, and much easier to attach the "guts" to. From what I hear, it should be able to lift a decent amount of weight as well. Only downside is the prop on the front being in the way of the camera. Guess I should try pointing my camera back at the abx prop while it's spinning to see what effect that has--whether it just blurs out or really gets in the way. Otherwise a side shot should work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.