Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

2 video helicopters & 4x4 Rock Crawlin'

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

2 video helicopters & 4x4 Rock Crawlin'

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 video helicopters & 4x4 Rock Crawlin'

This was done by a buddy of mine testing/designing some new mounts
Old 02-10-2006, 07:04 AM
cordia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 video helicopters & 4x4 Rock Crawlin'

That was some great video. good work
Old 02-10-2006, 04:57 PM
lvspark

Awesome quality.. Great air to air shots..2 thumbs up!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Sky High

That was very cool! [sm=thumbup.gif] What kind of helos are those and are they gas or electric? Also, what kind of cameras were used and was it on-board or downlink recording? Thanks! I'm assuming that you have a special landing platform because of that gear hanging so low underneath. I am going to do some air to air soon but with a camera jib. I won't have as much versatility as you did and can only go 25 ft high with this arm but I can get those overhead and booming up/down shots with my remote head and if you weren't told, you wouldn't know it was a jib.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11018.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	405733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25646.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	405734  
Old 02-10-2006, 05:40 PM
twinturbostang

Sky High: Check this out: http://helicamsolutions.com/ Really cool stuff!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 PM
DebianDog

Both those mounts are HeliCamSolutions Mark IV mounts and were shot from Gas (gasoline) helicopters like my Condor . IMO downlinks are ONLY good for seeing what the cameras sees. We are years away for wireless HD. I think they were 3 CCD Canons not sure there.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Sky High

Thanks for that link Twinturbostang, very interesting. [sm=thumbup.gif]

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

IMO downlinks are ONLY good for seeing what the cameras sees.
I totally agree and always prefer onboard recording but for some of the smaller helos like mine a pound of gear is not an option. In my industry any camera that is used for framing only is known as video assist.

We are years away for wireless HD.
Wireless HD maybe, but HD and HDV (mini DV HD) cameras were recently released back in December with cameras like the new Canon XLH1, Panasonic HVX200 (records DVC Pro 25/50 and true HD on P2 flash cards!) both of these support true HD as well but in different ways, and finally the Sony Z1. You can find more info about these an many other systems at these links.

HDV Forum
www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=61

www.dvinfo.net/conf

Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
DebianDog

We are years away for wireless HD.
HDV (mini DV HD) was recently released back in December with cameras like the new Canon XLH1, Panasonic HVX200 (records DVC Pro 25/50 and true HD on P2 flash cards!) both of these support true HD as well but in different ways, and finally the Sony Z1. You can find more info about these an many other systems at these links.
[/quote]

WIRELESS HD not lightweight HD I will probably pick up an Sony HC1 this year. I keep up with stuff. I run the iMovie FAQ and have been editing with Final Cut using a Sony VX-2000 for years. I had to order a special mount to get my VX-2000 to fit on my Helicopter.

You need a bigger helicopter. Ion or Joker if you insist on electric. [8D]

Also for TRUE HD you would have to run it out of an HD-SDI connector as (you probably know) HDV has MPEG2 compression. There is not a flash card big enough to hold much uncompress HD.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Sky High

DUPLICATE POST, PLEASE DELETE
Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Sky High

Also for TRUE HD you would have to run it out of an HD-SDI connector as (you probably know) HDV has MPEG2 compression. There is not a flash card big enough to hold much uncompress HD.
The Canon XLH1 is the only HDV camera that has an HD SDI output right now. It will not record true HD to tape, only HDV, but will output HD through the SDI port to an HD monitor or deck. The Pansonic HVX200 will record up to around 45 minutes of broadcast quality SD video (700-900 lines) but only around 8-10 minutes of true HD on the P2 flash cards. Those cards are around $1700 apiece too. [:'(] Fully loaded, these cameras are way too heavy for these helos anyway. The HVX weighs about 5 lbs. The SD version, the DVX 100 weighs 4 lbs.. If you were to remove the lens hood and microphone, it would get below 4 lbs.. How much weight can your helo carry?

You need a bigger helicopter. Ion or Joker if you insist on electric. [8D]
I think I have seen a VX2000 or PD100 on an electric helo of your size. When you say larger do you mean like those 6 ft long machines or just a little bit larger than yours? I definitely want to learn to fly a larger helo.

Name:	Ay74069.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	406032  
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 AM
DebianDog

Well "all up weight" is the issue. My mount weights 5.5 lbs (I have a gryo stabilized Broadcast 360) and the camera plus battery is about 4.5 lbs. I still have to add a downlink and associated equipment (soon hopefully) but I am already at the limits of what "most electrics" can do. However that is NOT to say that an electric could not do it. If I had unlimited money I would figure out a solution using a Joker or Ion. Once you add in the batteries a large electric is AT LEAST twice as expensive to do. even if you already own the chargers. And... you will never get 20+ minute flight times like I do with my gasser.

Joker base kit or Ion-X base kit both top quality machines.

I (personally) think the best deal going right now is the Century Condor. I have to upgrade to the heavy duty clutch to have a "real" Condor (as I bought and assembled all the parts before the lit was ready as a kit) and lifting 15+ lbs is not a problem although I have only tested 10 lbs. It was effortless with 830mm blades.

The Pansonic HVX200 will record up to around 45 minutes of the broadcast quality SD video on the P2 flash cards but only around 8-10 minutes of true HD. Those cards are around $1700 apiece too.

Buy the helicopter first if you gonna blow $1700. I would take it over a card[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Sky High

Well "all up weight" is the issue. My mount weights 5.5 lbs. I have a gryo stabilized Broadcast 360 and the camera plus battery is about 4.5 lbs.
That site specifically says that the mount is NOT gyro stabilized because of power requirements and weight. Your helo is just so stable that the gimbal does a good enough job which it does from what I've seen. There were only a few bumps here and there. Nothing a little stabilization software couldn't fix. It makes it look like it's on a tripod in the sky!

I actually found those 8 Gb P2 cards for $1400 apiece and the half capacity 4 Gb version, well, $650. The only real advantage of those cards or any cards is no load time into an NLE. You have to get the camera first which is only $6000.

Did you see my other post about the Firestore DTE? It weighs less than a pound and can record up to 6 hours of uncompressed DV video!

DTE Info
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3877448

Name:	Jh14877.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	406327  
Old 02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Sky High

This company seems to have already seen the potential of making these micro gyrostabilized heads.

UAV Camera Heads
www.remotei.com/products_cammount.html

www.remotei.com/ri250.html

www.remotei.com

This video does show some type of heading lock being demonstrated.

http://www.remoteilabs.com/movie/Rem..._BoschAero.wmv
Old 02-12-2006, 09:58 AM
DebianDog

I special ordered my mount from Jodie, it is gyroscopically stabilized on the tilt access using a 401 (see attached)

I have seen the DV hard drives... a year or so back http://danslagle.com/blog/?p=104

Still to money $$$ for little old me. I have better places to spend my money.

Name:	Jh16349.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	406719  
Old 02-12-2006, 10:01 AM
DebianDog

Oh he is another video he did and you can see HIS stabilization system using 401's

The new Mark IV from HCS - Test Flight 1 - 27.8 megs - WMV format
Old 02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Sky High

Yes, another great video but this time I was even more impressed with the ability of that pilot and helo to produce video in enough wind to stand that flag straight out at 90 degrees! Now that's impressive. How much wind would you say that was, at least 15-20 mph?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
DebianDog

At least. Another great thing about a BIG helicopter.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Dr350s

Sky High

In another VDO, the guy said that the wind was 25 custing to 35.