Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

$150 AWACS Complete AP Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $150 AWACS Complete AP Solution

Has anyone heard anything about this turnkey system from Wal-Mart? It says it is only available online.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480257

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21990.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	410924  
Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Dennis H.

Default RE: $150 AWACS Complete AP Solution

I too, would to hear from someone who has one, I didn't know Wal-Mart sold them? I did see it in Tower Hobbies magazine if I remenber right, a few month back. I did a Google, and found alot of store sell them, even Radio shock! Lol...
Old 02-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Sky High

Yep, Wal-Mart is selling other things you wouldn't expect either like $3000 HD TVs. They are also selling alot of computer networking peripherals too like routers, cables, flash drives, etc.. They will sell anything to make a dollar. I wonder if they will start putting the hurt on R/C stores like they have other smaller chains and local businesses.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
jltray

I found this on Estes website, here is the link [link=http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view,627]Estes Web Site[/link]

XB-39 Eagleye - Digital Camera Plane
Product Code: 4127

Take some of the most fantastic digital pictures ever from an eagle's eye view with this amazing R/C model airplane! Designed for anyone to fly, this giant size, twin engine (ducted fan jet engines) jet can reach heights of 1000 feet and snap up to 26 digital pictures on command along the way. Camera pod snaps off the plane for easy download of your pictures to your computer. Includes a simple to use takeoff system, two rechargeable flight batteries, a charger that operates at home or the flying field, a four function controller, software, USB cable and two button cell batteries for camera. Camera's resolution is 72 dpi. Ages 12+.

Length: 34 in. (86.4 cm)
Wingspan: 55 in. (140 cm)
Notes: Frequency = 27.145 MHz. Requires 6 - AAA alkaline batteries - sold separately. Eagleye is a registered trademark of ETI. LLC and used with permission.
Refering to the PDF file on the site the camera is in the radar disk on top of the plane.

Pretty neat, I wonder how the flight performance is.

It also looks like it is in the Hobby Stores in my area, I might just have to check this out.

Jimmy
Old 02-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Dennis H.

The only problem I see with this plane is, That it operate in the CB bands, Not good as you all know, wonder how hard it would be to put in our 72 Mhz gear in it?
Here it is at Tower Hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJYF8&P=7

Here the web site http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/...s.cgi?view,627

And the manul http://www.estesrockets.com/download...structions.pdf
Old 02-19-2006, 02:33 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

I would't bother.

1: why run ducted fans on a low end plane, they take twice the power to run as a direct drive prop and 3 times the power of a simple geared motor.

2: no video link, and a poor camera to boot.

3: it flys with "thrust vectoring steering" which is a fancy way of saying that their too cheap to use servos and steer by slowing one motor.

4: with the posible exception of the airace, none of the planes sold by Walmart or other big box stores fly worth a darn.

5: get a slow stick and a Blip camera, Sure it's a little more, but it will fly, it's expandable and reparable, and it takes very nice pics for the price.

YMMV
Ken
Old 02-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That camera isn't much of a camera.
640x480 looks like this compared to a 7M Nikon7600.
Photos taken at the same time...
And the images vignette seriously much past the center of the image.
But it is a start..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57029.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	411244  
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Sky High

It looks like one of this plane's designers posted info and images from its camera on another board. Here's the post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=17

Here's the thread.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480257
Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
sxates

I did a lot of looking into this plane before I got my Aerobird Xtreme. I'd say attaching a cheap camera to a cheap RTF will work better (as is what I did) because you get standard flight controls, and a better image quality.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
RCMatt

What is a Blip camera?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

http://blip.com.au/

I guess it's no longer available, but there are a lot out there. should be something else available shortly.

My main point is that it's not much plane for the price. It's not even porportinal thrust stearing, which can be had on planes in the $30 range, and there's no down link, so you have no idea what you are shooting at. If it was $50-75, then OK, but at $175-200, it's a rip.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Sky High

I noticed that the engineer said that the images come back reversed because they are taken from a mirror. I guess this is like a periscope setup since the camera is in the body of the plane, interesting workaround. If that's the case then you would have to flip all the images afterwards for correct orientation, especially if there was any writing from signs or whatever in the shot. I wonder why they couldn't have just made the sensor in the camera reversed so that the mirror would reverse that to give you a correct image? [sm=frown.gif]