Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Just More Fun Aerial Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
whogdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just More Fun Aerial Video

Hey guys,
First flight with the new props after one prop threw a blade (actually second flight but it was too windy to really judge how they were performing on the first flight). This video is not as smooth as some of my previous ones, a little more aggresive flying. Check out the bicyclists, they go by almost every weekend morning, usually the group is about 2 or 3 times this size.

I was also checking out BWAVs new Diversity Receiver, this is the first video with it. It works very well and is a nice unit, had only one drop-out which was in an area of known multipath interference, but it was not near as bad as when using the standard receiver.

http://media.putfile.com/Just-Flyin

Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
twinturbostang

Default RE: Just some fun aerial video

Wow, you bought one of the diversity receivers?? Cha-ching!

Cool video. Are you flying via a HMD?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: twinturbostang

Wow, you bought one of the diversity receivers?? Cha-ching!

Cool video. Are you flying via a HMD?
Yea, cha-ching. It was my Christmas present from my wife. HMD? - Head or Hood Mounted Display? I fly by visual on the plane, you can lose a plane very ease by looking at a monitor, you think the plane is in one place and guess what, when you look up to find your plane, it ain't where you think it should be.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 PM
sxates

Default RE: Just More Fun Aerial Video

Everytime I see one of your videos I think "dang, i want a twinstar"
Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: sxates

Thanks Sxates, I've looked at your videos. You had the video in downtown Dallas didn't you? That's a little too congested flying space for my comfort level but great views. Keep at it. I'm starting to get a little bored with my flying area, need to find a new area. My buddy wants to go down to the beach and fly one of these days.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Quacker

Very nice video, and clean too. I didn't see the receiver when you landed. Where was it?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:45 AM
sxates

ORIGINAL: whogdriver

ORIGINAL: sxates

Thanks Sxates, I've looked at your videos. You had the video in downtown Dallas didn't you? That's a little too congested flying space for my comfort level but great views. Keep at it. I'm starting to get a little bored with my flying area, need to find a new area. My buddy wants to go down to the beach and fly one of these days.
yeah, that was with the ABX, which is now dead. Working on a slow stick now. Have flown it in the same park downtown, and it fits the area MUCH better, so as soon as I get something rigged up for it I may try that locale again. The SS will actually fly in just about any medium space, so I'll have to find some cool places to go shoot. Some video from the beach would be sweet.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 AM
twinturbostang

Yea, cha-ching. It was my Christmas present from my wife. HMD? - Head or Hood Mounted Display? I fly by visual on the plane, you can lose a plane very ease by looking at a monitor, you think the plane is in one place and guess what, when you look up to find your plane, it ain't where you think it should be.
Yeah, HMD = Head Mount Display.

I'm impressed then, because you fly pretty far away from yourself, and then come back "through the trees" and stuff!

sxates: It's a really nice airplane. I just got one not too long ago, and have about 10 flights on it so far. Very low wing loading, floats real good, and since it's a twin you get an unobstructed forward view for cameras and stuff. I'm running mine with the stock brushed motors and a 2S2P 4200 LiPo that I built from two 2S 2100 packs. AUW is under 40 oz. for mine (not including any camera gear). And to give you an idea of flight times with this setup... I did a 5 minute photo shoot flight today. Landed. Took the camera stuff off, and then went back up for another 15 minutes just toolin' around. Only reason I landed after that was my fingers were frozen! Charged the pack this evening and it took 3160 mah. So it probably still had another 5 minutes in it.

P.S. It even flies inverted!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Sky High

Well Whog, you did it again! Another great, smooth, clean video. [sm=thumbup.gif] That company should be paying you for getting those shots with that plane! I bet your flight videos from it have helped sell a few. Have you ever thought of just figuring out the exact angle in relation to the camera and cut that small area of nose piece away for a totally unobstructed view? It doesn't look like it would take much. Would the removeal of that really make that much of a difference in it's aerodynamics? It has got to be frustrating to get video that good and have the nose in every shot. [:@]

Could you try to fly a little lower through those twin towers in the playground? You almost did it in this video. If you're really feeling brave, how about flying under that bridge that is between them. [X(] Now that would be really cool!

When are you going to do some night flights so we can see the city lights? It's time for you to get some nav lights for that thing.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Sky High

Whog, I looked all over BW's site and couldn't find a camera/transmitter box like the one on your plane. Did you custom make that?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:52 AM
twinturbostang

Sky High: I think just moving the camera forward about an inch would solve the nose problem. No need to slice and dice his airplane!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Sky High

Yep, that should do it. I figured moving it forward would alter the CG but maybe not.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
sxates

I don't mind seeing the nose--it's not really in the way, and it sort of orients the view. So instead of just 'floating' in the sky, it's like a cockpit perspective, which i think is alright.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:18 PM
twinturbostang

Sky High: There's lots of room to move the flight pack around in there. Wait till you see my crazy camera mount I designed, with the camera sticking out over the nose! I'm going to make a new thread this afternoon with pics and stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: Sky High

Well Whog, you did it again! Another great, smooth, clean video. [sm=thumbup.gif] That company should be paying you for getting those shots with that plane! I bet your flight videos from it have helped sell a few. Have you ever thought of just figuring out the exact angle in relation to the camera and cut that small area of nose piece away for a totally unobstructed view? It doesn't look like it would take much. Would the removeal of that really make that much of a difference in it's aerodynamics? It has got to be frustrating to get video that good and have the nose in every shot. [:@]

Could you try to fly a little lower through those twin towers in the playground? You almost did it in this video. If you're really feeling brave, how about flying under that bridge that is between them. [X(] Now that would be really cool!

When are you going to do some night flights so we can see the city lights? It's time for you to get some nav lights for that thing.
Thanks for the compliments SkyHigh, that would be nice if somebody would pay me to fly. I can put a little foam under the nose of the camera to get the nose of the plane out of the way. I lije having a little showing as a reference point. Lights would be cool but I'm a little uneast doing it where I currently fly. Maybe if I had a bigger field to land in... Also, I'll see if i cant get closer to the jungle gym towers next time out when its calm.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: Sky High

Whog, I looked all over BW's site and couldn't find a camera/transmitter box like the one on your plane. Did you custom make that?
Yes Sky High, I made the camera box, balsa and ply. Want to see some pics?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: Quacker

Very nice video, and clean too. I didn't see the receiver when you landed. Where was it?
It's on the sidewalk to the left when the plane flys over the parked cars. My buddy is watching the screen on the camcorder and he waves when the plane flys over.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Quacker

That was hard to see, Is it on the ground or up off the cement?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: Quacker

That was hard to see, Is it on the ground or up off the cement?
It's on the sidewalk, not up off the ground.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Quacker

Was it switching much? If it was, it's undetectable on the video. That's very impressive reception. The reason I asked about placement is that you may get even less dropouts if you get away from the ground because of signal bounce and obsticles like cars/people.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
whogdriver

Yes it was switching a lot. I have had very good results though with the standard BWAV receiver in the same place with the stock whip antenna.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 AM
lvspark

That was an enjoyable video Thanks for posting it ...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 PM
norbwoj

Whogdriver,

Nice video.

Please decribe the CCD and xmitter you use.

CCD: resolution, brand. lens FOV.
Xceiver: power, brand
Receiver ant: patch, 8db etc.

Thanks in advance.

Norb

Hey guys,
First flight with the new props after one prop threw a blade (actually second flight but it was too windy to really judge how they were performing on the first flight). This video is not as smooth as some of my previous ones, a little more aggresive flying. Check out the bicyclists, they go by almost every weekend morning, usually the group is about 2 or 3 times this size.

I was also checking out BWAVs new Diversity Receiver, this is the first video with it. It works very well and is a nice unit, had only one drop-out which was in an area of known multipath interference, but it was not near as bad as when using the standard receiver.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Once again, an even better video. Loved the high start then dive in through the trees !
Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
whogdriver

ORIGINAL: norbwoj

Whogdriver,

Nice video.

Please decribe the CCD and xmitter you use.

CCD: resolution, brand. lens FOV.
Xceiver: power, brand
Receiver ant: patch, 8db etc.

Thanks in advance.

Norb

Hey guys,

Norbwoj,
My equipment is all from Black Widow AV. Transmitter is the 200mW with the stock whip antenna (3 dB I think) Camera is KX141, 480 line (Panasonic I think) with the std 90 deg FOV lens (std from BwAV). All my videos posted on RC Universe, with the exception of this video, have been with the std receiver with the std whip antenna (again 3 dB I think).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.