Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Cool idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 02:04 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cool idea

Cool idea, I am just getting into this for models. I do it full scale for a living. RC will be video just for fun.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Vulturetec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cool idea

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Cool idea, I am just getting into this for models. I do it full scale for a living. RC will be video just for fun.
Great idea for the forum change - I used to do some aerial stuff with models years ago, just do full-scale full-time now too.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:33 PM
FLYBOY

Default Cool idea

Photo op, what do you do? What kind of plane, camera and stuff like that.

We do mostly mapping with an LMK 10 mounted in a 320. Lots of fun. going to start playing with some video next summer.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Vulturetec

Default Cool idea

...LMK 10 -- I can't remember, but I think that's the big yellow camera that's somewhat similar to the TOP (can be run remotely, etc)

Mostly mapping here too, but with some variety that makes it fun, especially when we get to roll the helicopter out (got a few once-in-a-lifetime pictures in a few prohibited areas that was fun to fly ). I was even looking at some projects up your way a year or two ago, some forestry work I think - just didn't pan out.

Right now I'm stuck with a PA31 (long story, she's tired) with an RMK-TOP (6"), using some proprietary software and Compix for automated triggering and a Locke-On system for FMC and manual (video) control. The video camera is mounted inside the lens-cone. We've got a TAS Gyro mount for it too but the mount doesn't fit the airplane.

The same system drops into our Soloy/Bell-47G2 (Allison 250 turbine powered) helicopter for 300'agl work (with the gyro-mount). The right side of the chopper has the video/Locke-On system set up for full video/manual control - the TOP hangs out next to the engine between the two skid-struts on the right side. We also had a setup in England using a Twin-Star with the camera suspended just forward of the tail-boom under the fuse.

Up until recently all the equipment was mounted in a T310R, hopefully I'll be getting that one back soon, it's a whole lot more comfortable to use than the PA31.

Anyway, that's all my present employer's stuff. I'm working on going independent, or sort of partnering up with someone. We've got some equipment lined up for part time work for a season then I hope to get a Cessna 210 and a Leica RC20 or 30, and probably Trackair to run the camera - but that's a ways off yet.

I kind of want to get back into using models too, maybe for real-estate work. I started back into helicopters this year but have been slow in doing anything with it

Don't want to stray from the RC theme too far, but here's a picture of our camera on the TwinStar, and a handheld oblique a did a few years ago from the Bell. I'd done RC choppers in the early 80s but getting involved with these two gave me the helicopter bug again so I've been flying a Caliber-30 around to get back into the hobby

-Scott
Old 12-08-2002, 04:07 AM
FLYBOY

Default Cool idea

Pretty cool. You don't happen to have a girl named Kat "kathleen" working with you do you? Ran into her a long time ago. I have done some pretty interesting stuff in this plane too. After sept 11 last year, I was the only plane in the state up for quite a while. We were on govt contract and had to go all the way to DC to get flight approval when all was locked down. Got it though. Is a lot of fun. Miss my old jet and the movie star passengers, but the camera is a lot better company then a lot of them were.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:23 AM
Vulturetec

Default Cool idea

Yup I know Kathleen... we don't work together, but the airplane she flies is right next to our in the hangar (she's flying a 210 with an RC30). Good setup, good management, local, very little traveling compared to going out for weeks on end (pretty much that's the way Florida is anyway).