Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Urgent Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 AM
tesujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help

I have a Sony TRV20 Camcorder. I am trying to do some aerial video using wireless cam. However, the wireless cam uses RCA to connect to recording device but the Sony Camcorder only has S-Video and I-link for video in. Is there any adaptor or cable that can connect the wireless cam to my sony cam using mini Jack to S-video.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:32 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Urgent Help

Page 67 of the user manual ('http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConnect/docget.asp?manualid=8136&DL=',600,560,10,10,'Manuals')

Shows how to connect to a VCR and record on the camera. The adapter is a standard Sony adapter that has a mini stereo plug (typical headphone plug, 3.5 mm) on one end and three RCA plugs on the other end. Should have come with your camera. The A/V jack is located behind a cover on the front right side of the camera. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't show a sony part number for the cable. If you don't have one, try your local electronics store.

Brad
Old 04-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Rickles56

Typically on Sony camcorders the mini jack is for audio/video output and the s-video port is only video out. The i-link is a firewire high speed serial port and will only communicate with another firewire port. The TRV series of camcorders did not support input of video other than through the i-link high speed serial data port. In other words there is no way to input RCA or standard composite video into the camcorder.

Check on the Sony web site to be sure about the ports on your camcorder. I have one of the TRV's also and was disapointed to find no video in. Some of the TRV's also had low speed serial or USB as well but that is not a composite signal either. I searched around and the only small camcorder available today that had video in, was a Canon or Sharp and of course the commercial grade camcorders. Some of the older bulky VHS camcorders had video in.

EDIT:
Good call Bkdavy ! Some of the Analog TRV's did allow audio/video input. The TRV-20 is one of them... I just checked page 67 on your Manual and it looks like the TRV-20 does allow composite video in and out on the same jack/port. You need an RCA to Mini phone jack cable. You can get it at Radio Shack or Best Buy, one of those type stores. Unless you have the A/V cable that came with the camcorder. You will also need a couple female to female RCA plug adaptors as well.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

If your camcorder has S-Video in, it also has normal RCA video in. You probably just lost the adapter, but its a cheap little part that you should be able to get just about anywhere.

JettPilot
Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Rickles56

I checked mine with the RCA cable and it has video in as well on the same port. I didn't know that and have had the camera for 6 years now! I have the Digital 8 with DV quality on tape and mem card. My manual does not talk about "video in" anywhere in it so I assumed it didn't have it. WhenI read it in the online manual I about freaked. I have the dongle for the S-video port also, never could figure out why they put that in the box with a cable too.

Thanks man! Hope that helps the other fella too!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 AM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

Sony is nice in that they auto switch the analog ins and outs. I had a cannon, and it requires you to run through the menues each time the camera is turned on to switch to analog in. and recording can only be started and stopped by using the remote [:'(]
Old 04-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Rickles56

I think of all the years that I thought it didn't have that feature! I tried it with a copyrighted disc in the dvd player and the camera came up with the can't record copyrighted material notice but the movie was playing in the LCD panel on the camera. I have a wireless camera that I have been wanting to try, now I have the platform that will make it easy. I hope the guy that made the original post is as happy as I am.