Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

No Luck With Camcorder

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 04:10 AM
RADIOFLYERDAVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Luck With Camcorder

BOUGHT A SMALL VHS-C CAMCORDER TO MOUNT ON MY 90'' SPAN AIRPLANE. IT HAS AN OS108 ENGINE. WHEN I TRIED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME I USED 3 LAYERS OF 1/2'' LATEX FOAM FOR INSULATION FROM VIBRATION. STILL, THERE SEEMED TO BE A HIGH FREQUENCY VIBRATION. NOT A SHAKE LIKE YOU MIGHT EXPECT, BUT A WAVE IN THE PICTURE THAT CHANGED WITH THE SPEED OF THE ENGINE. ANYONE HAVE SOME IDEA WHAT I SHOULD DO, OR DO I JUST NEED TO FORGET THIS IDEA?
Old 12-06-2002, 04:15 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: No Luck With Camcorder

Originally posted by RADIOFLYERDAVE
BOUGHT A SMALL VHS-C CAMCORDER TO MOUNT ON MY 90'' SPAN AIRPLANE. IT HAS AN OS108 ENGINE. WHEN I TRIED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME I USED 3 LAYERS OF 1/2'' LATEX FOAM FOR INSULATION FROM VIBRATION. STILL, THERE SEEMED TO BE A HIGH FREQUENCY VIBRATION. NOT A SHAKE LIKE YOU MIGHT EXPECT, BUT A WAVE IN THE PICTURE THAT CHANGED WITH THE SPEED OF THE ENGINE. ANYONE HAVE SOME IDEA WHAT I SHOULD DO, OR DO I JUST NEED TO FORGET THIS IDEA?
First off, your problem is the vibration is getting to the taping head. You don t have this problem when you tape on the ground from a camera with a downlink.
This is what I did.
http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/carrier.html
Old 12-06-2002, 06:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We had the same problems with vibration with the camera in flight. Can't wait to do it with the remote camera. Gotta get a new digital video camera first. Think I am going to get the Sony Digital 8. Looks like a nice camera.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:13 PM
SeismicCWave

From my understanding it has something to do with analog video tape head. You can resolve the problem by using a digital video camera. I did that with a video camera on a gas powered helicopter.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:08 PM
bigE
My Feedback: (25)

Default Go Wireless!!!

I built my cam based on the below web site. The cost is under two hundred dollars, and you get the satisfaction of building the system. Its really not hard at all. Pictures are as good as my camcorder. runs on a 4.8 volt seperate receiver pack. The really cool part is I found a combination 13" TV/VCR at radioshack that can also plug right into a cigarette lighter, so you can watch the feed from your plane real time!!! (No, I havent tried flying while watching the TV yet) Justified it with the wife by saying it was for Our son to watch movies on long trips in the car

http://www.rc-cam.com/rc-cam4.htm

Camera.. servo added for size comparison
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39840_17569.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	24612  
Old 12-18-2002, 04:40 PM
lvspark

I do not think it is a recording head issue alone. It occurs on some of my videos, and I have the recorder on the ground. I think it is a harmonic vibration. There seems to be a relationship between the engine rpm and the cameras frame rate like you are describing. I am curious if your prop was in the picture? you may want to try a different mounting location. I know it would be hard to balance, since you are moving such a big object, but my videos with the camera further off the centerline seem to be less prone to this wave effect.