Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Connecting the Aiptek to my Alpha 40

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Connecting the Aiptek to my Alpha 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:24 PM
cheek_nuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting the Aiptek to my Alpha 40

Hi everybody.......As per some request, this is how i connect my Aiptek MPVR camcorder to my Alpha Trainer. I utilize a light triangle shape balsa wood (to give an angle aim to the Aiptek on fuselage, don't want to see too much prop spinning). Then i put Velcro on these areas.... fuselage,triangle balsa wood(Both sides),Aiptek(right on the back side where the battery cover is located) All to much up (align perfectly the camcorder to the fuselage). Then i just re-inforce everything with some no#64 size rubber bands (approx..6 or 7 rubberbands) the same R.bands i use to put the wings on the alpha. When align properly the Rubberbands will not touch the on/off button of the camera and will not interfere with the planes on/off switch, located near the area(This method has proven safe for over twenty six flights). Now before you take off make sure you open the Lcd screen/viewfinder.. flip it up (screen facing up, The wing protects it from the sun). However you could choose to turn the screen downward if prefer (depends on the individual) i do it like this to view if the camera is still on and recording when i bring the plane down to check every 7 minutes or so (Yep!, I forgot to mention on my Alpa i can Fly for up to 30 minutes...I customized a bigger tank for it). If experience the Aiptek Shut\offs during flight (i did my first two attempts). This is easy to remedy....Remember this camcorder was not made initially for aerial photography with a vibrating fuselage. Therefore, the solution is simple: In the Battery compartment there's 2 to 3 millimeters of space under where the battery sits. Just fill it by cutting anytype of business card to the same width of the battery (just to make it tight enough in that slot; so no movement from the batteries to the leads will occur). This worked fine for me. Incidentally, cover any holes or vents (with tape) from the camera, if you're using glow fuel like i am, You don't want to get your screen fogged up (causes fuzzy picture). Well hope i was of assistance in explaining and showing how to connect this little camcorder to an R/C plane. For the price i think....To me (this is my opinion) It's been more rewarding then my experience with the 2.4 GHz wireless cameras. Enjoy.....ARRIBA !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50709.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	464667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15338.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	464668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39743.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	464669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36617.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	464670  
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM
cheek_nuts

Default RE: Connecting the Aiptek to my Alpha 40

Oh, Here's some video showcasing my Aiptek MPVR at work......Hit this link...http://www.putfile.com/ivaniski

Enjoy.......ARRIBA !!!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
davidsai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there great
i did something similar but use wide foam instead of board

sdid your rubber bands go around the fuseklage and then the wing on top of the rubber bands?

also i discover that to keep the camera on with the lcd screen closed i trun on the camera manually with the blue lighted button and then i just press record to start and stop

reagrds
david
Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
cheek_nuts

Yes, My rubberbands go all around the planes' fuselage. I put them on thru the front of the plane by expanding them and then i put the wing on top followed by rubberbands to the wooden dowels (14 of them) to secure the wing. With the lcd screen ; whatever works for you is great. However, if you ever experience shutoffs, try my method (It worked for me) I Fly the plane with the lcd screen opened like if it was a little wing (no Drag). Good luck ! Oh, and let me know when you'll post videos of your flights.

ARRIBA !!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
davidsai

ok thanks

it looks like the caera got a hit or something how hard and did you hav eto fixed it
bye for now

trying top make videos smaller size still learning
Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
davidsai

here are the videos www.putfile.com/davidsai
Old 05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
cheek_nuts

Nice videos, I knew the third video was the Aiptek (looks good) and you put it in a better place where you can view the entire flight area with no propeller interference. Remember, cover up any vents or holes where fuel may slip in. Also, just before you go up, clean/wipe the lens with a bounty and some windex; from experience i can tell you it really helps. God Bless....Good luck, Cheek_nuts............ARRIBA !!!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
davidsai

thanks, i noticed that the ground goes fast on this position so iam will try a bit more of the lense to point forward i have it a bit downwards, next time i put it on plane will take picture to post

regrds
david

i am also fixing my web site
Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 PM
KojakDave
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I didn't want to start a brand new one. I just wanted to say thanks for posting your mount for the MPVR...I kinda copied it. I hope to get some footage this weekend. The only difference is that I added a little shelf at the bottom of the mount to help keep the camera stable and in place.

Dave

Name:	Ge96945.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	531074   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42495.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	531075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65024.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	531076  
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
jmehl

just ordered an aiptek mpvr and gonna be mounting to my Nexstar...this will help thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
KojakDave

Well, I've run into an unanticipated problem...apparently the front bearing on my OS 60 FP leaks quite a bit of oil during operation, which is getting all over my camera lens during flight. I only have two possible solutions...one is to move the camera to the center top of the wing somehow (which should place it out of reach of the spray from the engine) and the other is to make a plastic cowl to help contain the spray. If there are any other suggestions, I'll be listening.

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Riverman

I'd go with the cowl or some sort of shroud over the front seal. Putting the camera over the wing will kill a lot of lift. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
davidsai

hi there , I dont know where you are putting the camera, i put mine on the side oopsite the exhaust, loking a bit to the side so that the prop does not come into the picture, also cover the lens with sarn wrap or the whole camera that way wont get damage by any oil drops.

regards
david
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
KojakDave

I finally fixed the problem. I made an ugly but functional balsa cowl for the plane. It will do nicely until I make make one that looks a little nicer. I took a couple of videos today and not a drop of oil got on the lense. Now all I have to do is learn to fly a little slower and steadier so I can get some good footage.

Dave

Name:	Jg13919.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	546363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59413.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	546364