Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Cheap Option for Aerial Vids

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 AM
stokeflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Option for Aerial Vids

Hi all,
I'm looking to strap a CHEAP!! vid cam to my ABX and future projects, I'm not after brilliant quality but just so I can see what its like up there and not worry if it gets damaged. Just wondered if anyone has used this and just how bad the vid quality is: AIPTEK POCKET DV II DIGI-STILL 1.3 MP CAMCORDER.
Thanks
Rich
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM
cheek_nuts

Default RE: Cheap Option for Aerial Vids

Hi Stokeflyer,

I've had that particular camera..... Quality is poor. It runs at 15 to 20 FPS and the resolution is below 640x480 (the standard).I now use the latest release from Aiptek (the MPVR camcorder) I posted some videos, and "How to attach the Aiptek (MPVR $140) to an RC plane.The MPVR runs at 30 FPS and resolution is 640x480. I'll try to attach with this POST. Aerial Footage makes R/C fly'in fun...Enjoy!!

AIPTEK MPVR VIDEOS HERE:http://www.putfile.com/ivaniski

How to connect to plane here:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4302479/tm.htm

Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Mr.Pibb

How much does that camera weigh?

Also, have you heard anything about the Aiptek DV5900?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:34 AM
cheek_nuts

Weighs from 6 to 8 oz. My 40 size trainer has no problem lifting it. The DV5900 you eluded to does not have much of the features that the MPVR has ex:1) hi-resolution 2)30 fps 3) anti-shake (important for aerial video) et al...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
lvspark

What about the CVS video cam hack??
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
ddierking
My Feedback: (82)

FYI, I just picked up an Aiptek MPVR today for $89.99 from BestBuy. They have it on sale. What's funny is that I almost bought it from Walgreens for $149.99 (that's their sale price). BTW, I am not knocking Walgreens either. I'm glad I did a little more research before making my purchase.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 PM
twinturbostang

Good deal! I may have to pick one up for recording video from my wireless camera/FPV setup.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
jpjamie

I also have the Aiptek MPVR (1GB SD card) a couple of days ago and have it ready to go on my SIG LT-40. The lithium battery and SD card help keep weight and size to a minium, but as usual the lens is not as good as it could be. I have the camera mounted on the top of my wing (have two LT-40 wings) on a tripod shoe bolted to the main spar. I like the camera controls, but I was disappointed the LCD has to be facing outward to record video. This makes obvious sense to the average user, but it would be nice to be able to video "blind" with the LCD folded for protection, against the camera. I like to work with *.wmv files so convert the *.asp files using Windows Movie Maker to *.wmv, but why the need for *.asp files? Also have a Philips (thumbdrive) Wearable Camcorder which works (mounted on top of wing) but the resolution is poor. The Samsung camcorder with the wired external lens is expensive, but the concept is close to what we need for RC aircraft. While wireless is much lighter (basically 9volt battery and tiny camera) there is a bit more twiddling required.

Did you notice any periodic "flashes" on video playback?

Let me know how it goes!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 PM
jpjamie

I went to Best Buy and got the same price you did. Let me know how you plan to mount the camera and what aircraft you use. I bolted a tripod mount to the top of an LT-40 wing and use the cameras stud mount, worry about vibration loosening the stud. Haven't flown yet as too windy these days. Lemme know how it goes - ideas etc.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM
ddierking
My Feedback: (82)

I am going to mount the mpvr to my avistar. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to mount it. I'm think about strategicly mounting dowels on the underside and inside of the fuse in order to attach the mpvr with rubberbands. I'm still thinking about it, but I too would like to hear of how others are mounting theirs.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
twinturbostang

How good is the quality of the MPEG-4 recordings? I'm currently recording with a Mini-DV camcorder, but it's a pain to have to then capture the video into the computer. Would be nice to record in a digital format (ala MPVR). I'm hoping there's not a big hit to the quality though.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
jpjamie

I have not flown yet with my configuration because a friend of mine suggested I use the small loop (front bottom of camera for attaching the included wrist strap) as a security device by using either fishing line or (plastic coated) leader wire looped over and under the center leading edge "tooth" of the LT-40 wing. I plan also to add another loop back to the two wing bolts at the trailing edge. This way, if the tripod shoe stud loosens the camera will at least stay on top of the wing and not be a total loss. Tripod "shoes" come with a rubberized top which helps dampen vibration.

Off to Gander Mountain, Cabellas is a bit too far!

Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 PM
jpjamie

I just "discovered" the included Arcsoft media converter with the Aiptek MPVR. The interface is nifty and will convert the *.ASF files the camera creates into *.wmv (my preference, there are other media file types). You have a choice of (320 x 240) or (640 x 480) resolution. Arcsoft converted an *.ASF file size originally 39MB down to 15MB at (640 x 480) resolution but not without some loss in video quality. So then you ask, "why convert to *.wmv?") I want to edit, add titles and music to my videos and so far, my Adobe Premiere 6.5 pukes when I attempt to import a *.ASF file, so I need to convert to *.wmv. I have limited access to Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 which way better than clunky 6.5. I try to get the best video quality with the smallest file size. Also, you don't need Arcsoft to convert if you have Windows XP and Windows Movie Maker, but while Movie Maker converted my 39MB *.ASF file to a *.WMV, the file size was 27MB, compared to Arcsoft's 15MB, but of course the video quality was a bit better.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
viper1

You see, for every problem there are multiple solutions, while every solution gives multiple problems. So you shouldn't think in problems, but in solutions, that's simple.....
Old 06-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

jpjamie -- Don't know if yours will work the same as mine, but with my Aiptek IS-DV I found that if I start recording then close the lcd it will keep recording.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:21 PM
jpjamie

Foamaholic: I just double checked and my Aiptek MPVR will stop recording when I close the LCD toward the camera body. I think there is a magnetic switch that turns it off. Thanks anyway!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
jpjamie

Yeah right Viper1...gotcha.
My glass is usually half empty of solutions...
Old 06-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Foamaholic

Ok sorry, that's too bad. Why don't they make them all work the same, like mine?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
jpjamie

Yeah I should have investigated the On/OFF thing. I also thought the LCD would never go off, let alone the camera but in Settings you can set the camera to turn off after 1 minute which helps.
Glad Press'n Seal will cling very nicely to the outside of any camera keeping out engine oil. Of course the lens has to be left "out there." I thought about using some clear plastic for covering the lens, but I don't want a "lens" in front of a lens.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Foamaholic

I saw where someone used a lens filter in front of the lens. He cut out circle on the plane for the lens and had the camera inside the plane looking out. Maybe that would work. I never gave it any thought either when I bought the camera, just lucked out.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
jpjamie

Just going to use the included lanyard with the Aiptek MPVR as that should be good enough. Might have some (proof of concept) video online here early next week. Been flying mostlly electric (Brushless/lithium GWS Tigermoth) this week as the evenings have been dead calm.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 AM
donhef

What about a Mustek DVC? I have a DV 3500 and thought I could use that. Any thoughts?

Don
Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
donhef

Here are the specs:

Function: Digital Camcorder, Digital Still Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, Video Camera, USB Portable Disk, PC Cam, MP3 Player,
Image Sensor: 2.0 Mega CMOS Sensor
Resolution: Fine: 2304 x 1728 (Hardware Interpolation)
High: 1600 x 1200
Low: 640 x 480
Video Clip: 640 x 480 / 352 x 288 / 320 x 240
Display : Color TFT 1.5" LCD
External Memory: SD / MMC
File Format : JPEG / ASF / MP3 / WAV
Lens: Fixed (5 Glasses Lens)
8.5 mm (equivalent 44mm for 135 camera)
F. No. 2.8
Focus Range: 70cm to infinity
Digital Zoom: 4X
Digital Eff ects B&W / Sepia / Mosaic
Interface: USB / AV out / earphone
Video Frame Rate 20~30fps (PC Cam 320 x 240)
Self Timer : 10 Seconds Delays
Shutter Speed : 1/15 to 1/2500 Second
Power: 1.5 V AA alkaline x 2
Dimensions :
86 X 40 X 68mm
Weight : 110g (without Battery)

Don
Old 06-30-2006, 12:49 PM
jpjamie

Hey Don!
I "Googled" your camera and found some images of it. It appears to be a small, compact "brick" design which I like better than what (Aiptek DZO-V38) I currently use. I also like the fact it uses an SD for external memory, however the two AA batteries will add weight, which of course may be irrelevant depending on what aircraft/power you are using. Does it have a tripod mount? A few of these smaller camcorders have been produced without such a mount. The manufacturers probably figured nobody would use one with such a small hand held device.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
jpjamie

Just wanted you to know I took my Aiptek MPVR camcorder aloft a few days ago onboard a SIG LT-40. I secured a standard tripod shoe on top of the wing right over the CG. I drilled a hole through the center rib so I could insert a screwdriver to tighten the mount stud into the camcorder. I used my Dremel to cut a slot in the brass stud so I could use the screwdriver. I was a bit concerned the stud might loosen during flight, but that didn't happen. I kept the flight short and simple and all went very well. The video is very good.

Since the price is coming down (I got a $50 instant rebate at Best Buy) below $100 on these kinds of cameras, has anyone out there experimented with separating the camera lens (controls?) from the recording body? Separating the lens from the body allows locating the recording body inside the aircraft for more security and less drag. The wired lens could be located virtually anywhere you want in/on the aircraft. There is a camcorder on the market that has an external lens, but it is $200 more and is a bit heavier.

IF the lens can be removed and wired to the camera body, we can start tinkering with servo manipulating the lens.

Anyone done this yet?