Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Using Music in Videos

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 PM
pdmarsh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using Music in Videos

I noticed that many of the videos I see here use copyrighted music in the background. While no one is making money on these, I thought that using such music was a no-no, especially on Google, where you have to check off that your video contains no copyrighted material. Yet, some of these videos get past their screening process, apparently. Did I misinterpret the rules? What's the real deal with using music?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using Music in Videos

You are about to open a can of worms that will squirm forever! Below is one of many threads covering this topic on a video production board that goes into detail about it. It begins talking about music usage rights at post #7 and goes for 2 more pages. The other link is the entire forum with many different pages covering all kinds of media content usage advice. I think the worst that could happen to an average person is just being told to remove the video/music. I really don't think anything will happen though as long as you aren't profiting from it. I see both sides and my comment to the artists and labels is..... good luck tracking down all of the illegal files, much less prosecuting them!! I think it helps artists by distributing their music for free. As long as someone is not profiting from it, I don't think it's worth the effort trying to stop it.

Music Usage
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61977

Main Forum
www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I am not profiting from my movies and the music I use are tracks that came on a CD that I paid for.
Personal use and I paid for the music used.

Wouldnt dream of using that same music for anything I did for profit, however.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Exactly Fubar ! My sentiment exactly.

Why is it that when someone spends the time and effort for the enjoyment of others that there's always someone who has to come along and "lawyer" it to death.

Most of the music in my videos are from freeplaymusic.com anyway but once in a while, I like to add a little music off of a CD I paid for.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM
pdmarsh

Sky High: Thanks for the good background and links.

Fubar: I understand your sentiments. I think they're shared by lots of folks.

Emailbanter: As far as lawyering it to death goes, well, somebody has to do it! I guess I elected myself. Just kidding. Actually, I have had some personal experience with copyright infringement of the more serious nature. It may not relate directly to this, but it makes for an interesting story. My son bought a DVD on ebay. When we got it, it turned out to be pirated. I wrote the gal that sold it and said we wanted a refund and that I'd return the DVD to her. Her response was, almost word for word, what yours was. "All I'm trying to do is make people happy," (at 60 bucks a pop, I might add). In this case, the production company had not yet made DVD's of the animation series for sale. Turns out the shows were taped from TV then burned to DVD. Being the lawyer that I am (NOT), I notified ebay, we got our money back, and this gal is probably still selling the DVD's.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

I think anyone who makes a profit selling pirated CD's is nothing short of a thief. The handful of people that may watch my videos will see that I do not normally use copyrighted songs and they are compiled mainly for enjoyment purposes. It's a mixed bag of fruit that has many points for discussion with room enough for everyone's view
Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM
pdmarsh

ORIGINAL: emailbanter

I think anyone who makes a profit selling pirated CD's is nothing short of a thief. The handful of people that may watch my videos will see that I do not normally use copyrighted songs and they are compiled mainly for enjoyment purposes. It's a mixed bag of fruit that has many points for discussion with room enough for everyone's view
Well said.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Sky High

That comment by that DVD pirate is ridiculous. That is an evident justification for her to make money. How could she make people happy by providing substandard, overpriced copies? She is the kind that deserves to go to jail if for nothing else, that dumbass statement!