Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Altitude Hold using Geko 301 GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
dzbum
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altitude Hold using Geko 301 GPS

Has anyone used Garmin Geko 301 ([link=http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Geko301_OwnersManual.pdf]link[/link]) for altitude hold. The Geko 301 has a barometric sensor that is used to compare with GPS altitude for a more accurate reading ( accurate to +/- 1 foot once calibrated ). I am not sure if this corrected data is then passed as part of the string through the data port and can be parsed and used or if it is only displayed to the screen
I know using GPS altitude readings that the tolerance is no good enough to hold a steady safe altitude while an aircraft is under GPS navigation. I was considering using a Geko 201 and the new RCAP 2.5 (once it's available [link=http://scalerobotics.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=36]link[/link]), but noticed that the Geko 301 has a similar barometric sensor for altitude and wondered if this may simplify any code I would need to write / modify for altitude hold.

If anyone has either tested using the Geko 301 or has a better method of either altitude hold or preprogramming a safe altitude for Pigeon home use I would appreciate any insight.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Altitude Hold using Geko 301 GPS

I dont know if the 301 sends its baro altitude out in the NEMA data or not. But even if it does, you would need an autopilot that would read it and translate that into an elevator input. How were you planning on doing that ?

I like the RCAP 2.5 you had in the link, I will get one of those when avialable. Given the cost difference between the 301 and the 201, it would proabably pay for the RCAP thing. I would just wait for that to become available.

JettPilot
Old 08-12-2006, 08:22 PM
dzbum
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Altitude Hold using Geko 301 GPS

JettPilot,
I am investigating that at the moment. There are two unused servo outputs on the channel on the PIC on the RCAP2, that is one possibility I am looking at. I am about to buy a GPS for none RC use and want to make sure that I have everything on it that I might want for RC.
I am leaning toward using something cheap like an Etrax and the RCAP 2.5 for simplicity, but it would be nice to predetermine an altitude either go home at or follow waypoints.