Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Military UAV Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 05:41 PM
projectcyclops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military UAV Question

Does anyone know how they transmit video from military unmaned aerial vehicles such as the predator? I wonder if they use satilites?

http://www.projectcyclops.com
[email protected]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 PM
mr.rc-cam

From what I understand, the Predator transmits via a satellite link. AC-130 gunships are equipped to receive the Predator's video in real time. One AC-130 can track several Preditors if needed.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:11 AM
Abram

it's funny....I JUST saw a documentary on UAVs for the military on NOVA...they first used transmission directly to the ground base but once the plane hit the horizon it lost video and control contact and crashed. They then used satalitte technology as ProjectCyclops mentioned to transmit control and video imaging...GPS satatlittes are also used to know the exact location of the plane...later sophsticated (spelling?) GPS and precise guidence systems were developed for TRUE unmanned flight (having no pilot even IN the base station) Very Interesting!!! Quite funny also, it showed some little plane models smaller then the average .40 crashing.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:39 PM
PlaneJames
My Feedback: (14)

Default They use Both

There are about four ways to get video from a UAV (at least the one I worked on). 1) You can use a SATLINK which is sometimes messed with by Sun spots and other things (Sometimes the Sat is not inthe right position!) 2) You can go direct to the ground - this limits range because of the curve of the Earth - The higher you go the further you can xmit (if you have the power!) 3) you can relay through another UAV - extends the range but can be difficult to set up! 4) you can record on the UAV and get the tape when you land (or, play the tape when it's safe to xmit!)

You have to remember that these are very costly systems that have some pretty big bandwidth!!!

Fun Stuff - Wish I still worked in the field!!

James