Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Help an aerial video rookie get off the ground...

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Help an aerial video rookie get off the ground...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
mdufilho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help an aerial video rookie get off the ground...

First questions first.

I have a Firebird Commander 2 and have a blast just flying it around the park. I have recently seen everyone's videos of onboard cameras and, as a videographer myself, I know that I have got to do this. I have been looking at the systems on blackwidowav.com and have some questions.

So, my first question is can my platform support the weight? On hobbyzone.com they sell accessory modules for dogfighting, dropping parachutes, plane lights, etc. so I am imagining that weight may not be the issue, but balance. Is this right? Also, how heavy are the 5v or 12v power supplies for the transmitter?

Assuming I buy a "ready-to-fly" system from black widow, my first thoughts would be to: (let me know where I'm wrong here)

1. Remove the cockpit and rig up a camera mount (suggestions?)
2. Install transmitter, antenna, and power supply
3. Balance forward/aft/lateral with weights

Please let me know if I can even start with this plane or if I need to wait until I get my next one.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
rcrick00

Default RE: Help an aerial video rookie get off the ground...

Matt,
Are you looking to just get some video from you plane or are wanting to do some FPV flying? If all you are looking to do is get some video, I would look into the CVS disposable camera hacks. This option would be a lot cheaper than a wireless setup. If you go wireless, go with something like the BW systems with a CCD camera.

Ricky
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
mdufilho

Ricky,

Thanks for the response. I am definitely wanting to get a wireless system. I've found a ready to fly system at Range Video that I'd like to get. Any recommendations on a good power supply for a 550mA draw and for mounting the cam and tx?

Thanks.

Matt
Old 11-08-2006, 12:12 AM
twinturbostang

Range Video sells the same Lawmate equipment that BlackWidow sells.

Here's a nice small 5V switching voltage regulator that can handle up to 1A of current: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW0XX.htm