Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

inexpensive quality video UPDATED W/VIDEO

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

inexpensive quality video UPDATED W/VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 AM
AugerOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inexpensive quality video UPDATED W/VIDEO

I'm sure it's all been done before; but here is my version for those new to the game:

1 beat up Super Cub by Hobby Zone (my first plane), 1 CVS one time use digital video camera $30.00(there's lots of info on how to get into these things on the web and within this web site), 3 rubber bands (3 1/2" x 1/4" #64 postal size rubber bands from wally martinez $.82). I've only managed two ground tests and 3 flight tests, but the quality is good. I have not posted any video yet because the footage was pretty crappy. I did'nt get far enough away from the field and most of the footage is of a farmer's rows of dirt[&o]. It's raining now so I'll try to get some up this afternoon or tomorrow.

I cut up and used an old vga cable and soldered an old usb cable taken from an old printer cable. I soldered the female vga to the board and cut a notch out of the side of the camera and screwed it to the case. This thing is capable of 20min of quality video. It's a fun project to get some good arial vid.

UPDATE: cub does not carry the weight of the full camera; thrust to weight is no good. as soon as i launched it became very unstable and fell out of the sky. case needs to be taken off the cam. use the side of the battery holder that has the 4 prongs on it for the board and use a 2AAA holder and wire to it. will work but not as long. another good option is single cell lipo.

Sorry for the misinformation. My original test flights for the vid were with a typhoon 3d. I really did not think that the cam would weigh down the cub as much as it did.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
AugerOne

Default RE: inexpensive quality video UPDATED W/VIDEO

Got it up and around with an APC 11x10. Here's the vid. I'ts a little shakey as the wind was gusting 15+ and the cub is light foam plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrTMXrALqh8
Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
nerv2112

Default RE: inexpensive quality video UPDATED W/VIDEO

Thanks to this forum I aquired and modified one of these for my heli yesterday. If I get some good weather I will head out and take some video as well. I cut mine down to just the circut board and lens with an external battery. I even removed the display screen to save power/weight.

Funny this $30 cam will probably make better video then the $89 wireless one I just got.