Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Rocket Assisted Flight

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:59 AM
Riverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket Assisted Flight

Well it's not all AV, but it sure makes for a cool video!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvwEfkfiVM]Rocket Assisted Flight Montage[/link]
Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Rocket Assisted Flight

not only illegal, against all FCC rules, but downright dumb.out of control, fire?? and, no, not cool
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
SAVS

I'm still laughing! I think it would only be illegal if he had a camera on board and was selling the pictures
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Motions

Not sure how this is considered illegal or what the FCC has to do with it at all but is was pretty funny. Not the smartest thing to do but when are smart videos funny?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
dzbum
My Feedback: (5)

Does the FCC cover Alberta Canada or do they not have TV there yet ? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Riverman

I conducted rocket assisted takeoff #5 with the Aerobird Xtreme today. I configured the camera for an onboard aft facing shot to showcase the rocket engines as they propel the aircraft through the air. For this launch I used four "C6-5" engines configured for pure forward thrust ignited just as the aircraft was ready to rotate for takeoff.

Enjoy!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADbWfefnSM]Rocket Assisted Takeoff #5[/link]

And the classics:
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmW-dz3a_Y]Rocket Assisted Takeoff #4[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXILLw6chg]Rocket Assisted Takeoff #3[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UjtqppDL4]Rocket Assisted Takeoff #1, #2[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvwEfkfiVM]Rocket Assisted Flight Montage[/link]

Cheers
Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 AM
e-PSF

De-Luxe!!!

I wonder how many rocket engines you can get on it and still remain in control???

How do you supress the parachute charge at the end of the burn???

Cheers, e-PSF
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Riverman

ORIGINAL: e-PSF

De-Luxe!!!

I wonder how many rocket engines you can get on it and still remain in control???

How do you supress the parachute charge at the end of the burn???

Cheers, e-PSF
The most engines I've mounted so far is four "C6" Estes engines. If I really wanted, I could probably mount three more, but it makes more sense to just upgrade to a more powerful engine. I'm waiting on a nice day to try my next configuration which will be two "D12"
engines, which should be equal to the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmW-dz3a_Y]four "C6" launch[/link]
The parachute charge is supressed by making it easier for the charge to exit out of the nozzle rather than the front. I do this by simply wrapping the front of the engine with electrical tape to form a sturdy plug. Of course an easier solution is to purchase booster engines that have no parachute charge.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Marty

I loved your videos! Can you tell us precisely how/where you mounted the rocket engines and how you ignited them?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
kd7ost

ORIGINAL: lilhachet

not only illegal, against all FCC rules, but downright dumb.out of control, fire?? and, no, not cool
It's not illegal in the United States either. AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) rules even allow for rocket assist take off and or JATO.
Read rule 8. http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf

The FCC is the Federal Communications Commission. I don’t think he provided any information that would lead us to believe he’s operating on an illegal frequency in the United States where the FCC operates.

There are models you can buy in the hobby shop from Estes and other companies. They are RC rocket planes and are not against any law.

Cool videos.

Dan
Old 04-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Riverman

ORIGINAL: Marty

I loved your videos! Can you tell us precisely how/where you mounted the rocket engines and how you ignited them?
Thanks!

As for how, a little knowledge of electronics and aerodynamics coupled with some trial and error...
Is that exact enough for you?

Seriously, you will need a radio system with one spare channel and a remote controlled relay like this one [link=http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm]Battleswitch[/link] to ignite the rockets.
I found it was best to mount the rockets at a 45 degrees down angle at approximately the aircraft's centre of gravity. Where and how to mount the rockets exactly will depend greatly on the particular aircraft. I used tyewraps and carbon rods.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 PM
jongscx

...anyone try them with an aero ace?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Gigaah

Probably don't need a remote control relay. just and extra servo on an extra channel. glue one wire the the servo arm. glue the other to ..somewhere..and just make it so when you move that channel it connects the two wires. bingo! gheto radio control relay.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Lucas!

Yup as stated before this is legal. It also does not break NAR (National Association of Rocketry) rules or AMA (you know that one) rules. I belive according to AMA rules you can use up to a "G" engine. And I have no idea how you got that it was against FCC rules. And fire.... ? there was snow all over the ground

Looked like he did it about as safe as possible.
- Remote ignition
- Open Field
- Facing away from him
- Nothing that could catch fire (snow)

Very nice!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
boss_blueangels

More questions regarding setup... did you use the Xport chanel for your rocket ignition? If so, how did you get that to work?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Riverman

I didn't use the X-port as I upgraded to a 6 channel system that affords me the benefit of several spare channels

Cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
friedclutch

Hey man.. Awesome video. I'm still laughing. If I didnt love my stryker so much, I would be planning an evil plot such as this. More videos!! And if you manage to catch the snow on fire..... Please post the vid! lol
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Riverman

ORIGINAL: friedclutch

Hey man.. Awesome video. I'm still laughing. If I didnt love my stryker so much, I would be planning an evil plot such as this. More videos!! And if you manage to catch the snow on fire..... Please post the vid! lol
Thanks!

I've been on a rocket assisted flight hiatus but as soon as I do some more vids I'll deffinately post 'em!

Cheers