Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Animal Planet's Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest RC AP

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Animal Planet's Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest RC AP

Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animal Planet's Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest RC AP

I recently saw a show on Animal Planet called Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest which is similar to the earlier Spy on the Wild series with all kinds of cool covert micro cameras attached to and around wild animals. They used a large size RC helo shooting AP for this show.

They didn't cover how their AP was done on the show, so below is a link that shows the AP machines and some POV shots from them.

Spy on the Wildebeest - behind the scenes (scroll down for Dragonflycam & Stealthcam video)
www.jdp.co.uk/progs/trek1.php

Spy on the Wild
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4022245
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Sky High

Default RE: Animal Planet's Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest RC AP

Well, that show was really cool and the coverage was very detailed too. They showed some very low altitude shots like 10 ft above the wildabeests during some of the running shots. Then, the unthinkable happened. The helo experienced a loss of signal, went into a spin and crashed into the stampede! I couldn't believe they showed that. In case you missed it, the entire crash can be seen at [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5537815/tm.htm]this[/link] link.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Sky High

Default RE: Animal Planet's Trek: Spy on the Wildebeest RC AP

Below is a very interesting audio narrative provided by Gary Mortimer in South Africa interviewing the actual creator of these custom camera platforms for these types of shows.

ORIGINAL: Gary Mortimer

Well if you want some more information, I spoke to Geoff the pilot out there for my podcast http://www.airborneadventuresafrica....20Show%204.mp3

Hes a seriously cool dude and the modelling toys he had in the shed were amazing.

The self levelling camara that they strapped to an elephant in India to keep the from Elephant shots level were cool.

One of the shots in Trek was taken with a normal Sony point and shoot camera, a ws 30 I think on the front of a tiny electric heli. I'm not telling you which one!!

Cheers

G