Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

How do you reduce file size in digital Pix?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

How do you reduce file size in digital Pix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you reduce file size in digital Pix?

I have been shooting photos in the highest resolution mode my camera offers, but then I discover that the file size is too large to be "internet friendly". Trying to email a group of these takes forever, and some ISP's will reject the file due to its huge size. So...how do I go about reducing the file size, (pixel count?) on my existing photos, so that they move more quickly online?
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:12 PM
MikeDD

www.irfanview.com
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 PM
AR196

Simply get the image editing program of your choice.

There're all sorts available for free or trial. JASC has Paint Shop Pro which is very powerful for low bucks for low dollars. Don't tell them but there is a way to keep it ruinning for free, no cheating, even after the trial period (unless they've found and plugged the hole).

Get it at www.jasc.com. Very user friendly.

ZD net (are they still out there? Have not checked lately) and Tucows list a bunch of free stuff.

You open your image in the chosen program.

Then you look for some menu item that talks about resizing the image.

That will let you change the pixels per inch, for the overall size and the phyical dimensions as well, say for instance, how many inches wide it is.

It should also let you change the file type.

What's used on the web is a resolution of 72 pixels (almost everyone says dots) per inch.

To finish, usually, you use the "save as" command and make it a JPEG (JPG) or in some cases a GIF file.

Plonk that into your email program and it's done and gone.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:33 AM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Default Reduce photos for email and viewing

You need a photo program installed on your computer...Most cameras come with a program...if not you can buy one also...if you need help let me know..Richard
Old 04-06-2003, 02:11 AM
David Cutler

Try Thumbsplus.

It'll do anything you could possibly want in image processing

It's everywhere, but try here:-

http://www.imagespro.com/programs/43/

-David C.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:30 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

If you're using XP, there's a free program called Resizer in the Powertoys section of the Microsoft website. It's a two click program and works beautifully. I use it and I get my photos down to about 50KB. They look good, too. I wish I had the URL, but I don't.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:33 PM
lgeis

Default File Size Reduction

Hello,

Format your images at 72dpi (dots per inch). Trust me. That's an internet standard that accomodates Apple screens. PC screens actually carry almost 100dpi, but you'll note that 72 still looks very good. Some folks get really wrapped around the axle trying to minimize file sizes to the last byte, but I wouldn't suggest any of the fancier formatting tricks.

Crop the images to the subject and size them for viewing. More often than not 4-6 inches wide is more than sufficient unless there is a great deal of small detail. It wouldn't hurt to make you image a multiple of 8 wide and tall (e.g. 360x 1800...that's what the .jpg compression function really likes, but it's not absolutely necessary.

"Blur" the image ever so slightly. Gaussian Blur is the preferred method. This produces an image character that is very friendly to the .jpg compression scheme (DCT). It can result in file sizes significantly smaller than a "sharp" version of the very same image. In fact, because .jpg is so hostile to sharp edges at high compression rates, you can actually end up with a cleaner image by blurring it prior to compression. Bizarre, eh?

Save in the .jpg format (or, if you get into things a bit deeper and the image is appropriate, use .gif with an adaptive pallette). You might consider the .png (Portable Network Graphic) file compression for some images...it is "lossless" and widely usable.

Compress your .jpg image to about 4 on a scale of 10-12. Do not recompress it at a different compression level after doing so...the derogatory effects of .jpg are additive. Compress copies at 3 and 5 as well. Then, after opening them from your hard drive, compare them at normal and at high magnification.

I use PhotoShop, but have and am familiar with JASC's PrintShopPro. It is an excellent program.

Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:35 AM
VFRmartin

I set cam to low resolution for most pics going to the web. I choose "Send To" on right mouse click over pic. Then click send via email. A prompt to resize smaller appears and will size to 480x640. Files size are around 75Kb. Then "Save as" to desired location. I'll save to desktop then delete when posted to web.

I use Windows Paint program under "Accessories" to crop down photo if file is still to large. Open saved pic in paint. Crop with dotted Square tool. Click copy under edit button. Now open new folder under file button. Click paste under edit button. The new photo with out unwanted background dosn't lose detail.
This works for me... good Luck!