Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

I had it on top of the wing on the first test flight,,then I moved it back down and installed it under the fuse,,it's been working fine until today and I still cant figure out what's wrong with it,,,everything is charged I have tried a digital camera I have and I can send picture through the downlink but I cant use the cable that connects the D/L to the camera it might be the cable that went wrong but at the same time I do have audio.mmm the wired part is that it was working just fine 2 days ago and now it doesnt work and I haven't changed anything.

then i tested the cable and it seems to be geting the power through the other end but I'm not sure if the picture is or not,,so I'm now kind of disapointed cause I really wanted to do some more test videos this weekend!!![]
Old 06-23-2007, 02:29 PM
JMSTECH

That's why I always have a spare. Also if one fails for any unkown reason, try the other one. If both fails, then check the wireing or battery. etc... Anyhow I do hope you figure out your problem before fly time!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM
charrua

I just dont know what to look for I have cheked everything that I can,,maybe I should email Rangevideo but since I emailed him on Friday about some lens I needed for the camera and I haven't heard back from him I didnt want to email him again about this I wanted to see if I could solve this by myself.[]
Old 06-23-2007, 02:35 PM
moogly

Can you do a continuity check (point to point on the cable) with a meter to see if they are all getting signal through the cable? otherwise it is posable the camera head went bad [&o]
Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM
charrua

Like I said before I used my digital camera and tried sending video and it works when I touched the cables by the TX D/L but if I touch the cables by the camera input it doesnt send pic so it might also be the cable but I'm not sure wich one is the video pin by the camera input.
do you know wich one it is???
Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 PM
moogly

I have no idea thats why I asked if you had a way to meter point to point and see if they are all good
Old 06-23-2007, 04:04 PM
charrua

ok I made a cable so I can check the cable from the Downlink to the camera and it works fine I get video from my digital still camera,,,so I have to think now it's something wrong with the Camera then,,,man that's os wired lats time I used it it was fine then it just didnt work anymore,,,cane they go bad like that fo no reason???
Well my hope of maybe fixing it and be bale to get some more video this weekend it's gone!!![]
Old 06-23-2007, 04:49 PM
moogly

sorry to hear that but ya that the way they go out i have had a couple of cheaper cams and one day there fine and the next there shskhh
that suck I know how it feels to be pumped up things go bad hell look at my tree video @http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/B0SSVX6XJ52ZBBX1
Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
charrua

I know it sucks I was expecting to try to fly all weekend just doing videos and changing the camera angles, positions and differen motrs until finding the best setup so I can start making more videos.
Well hopefully sometime next week I'll have everything working again,,I did ordered the Berg 7ch rx so it also should be here on tuesday.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
JMSTECH

Ok so if you have a KX131 or KPC-S226CB .. same thing really. Have you tried to make a new set of wires and refit it to the white jst connector? Yeah I know pulling the wires out of the jst is a pain but is possible with a sharp pointy tool like a Xacto knife. Yellow is video, red is positive 5-12 volts, black is ground.

When I buy a new camera, I ALWAYS spread hot glue around the neck of the jst connector and wire. It helps give it some extra strength because mine is always twisting and turning all the time. Others have reported this and had the same thing, wires broke inside the sheathing or at the connector. Just giving you a little hope here... maybe your camera is still ok. They are pretty tough! Mine has had sever crashes at high speed and it still lives!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
charrua

Ok Finnaly I have found the problem!!! I have been emailig back and forth with Rangevideo about my camera not working to see if he could figure it out what might be wrong with it,,,and he asked if I used a different screw on the side of the camera besides the ones that are provided with it and guess what I used maybe a 1 to 2 mm longer screw to hold the camera to a servo arm so I could have my Tilt function and it always worked Fine ever since I installed it.

But then I got Rid of the Tilt and wanted to use only Pan fuctions so I installed the brakcet provided with it and then intalled it back on the servo and that's when the camera stopped working.

It looks like I punched a hole on the inside of the camera board maybe like 1/2 mm and that was all it took to breakc one of those thin filaments or whatever they are called inside the board and stopped sending picture,,it was fine when I still had the screw in there but once removed it didnt make contact anymore and stopped working.!!![:@][:@][:@]

Man I'm pissed,,and when I chose the screw I made sure it wasnt too long just in case but I guess that 1mm too long did it!!!![:@][:@][:@]

Well but at least I now know what was wrong with it well at least it's only the camera,,,it should have had some kind of worning on the paper work that wornned people using different screws than the ones provided or that same reason!!!!

I think it could probably be soldered back again but it's so Tiny that I can bearly see it,,I'm pretty good with the soldering gun that I mightstill be able to maybe fix it or screw it up all the way!!!

I have emailed RV again too see if they can repair that kind of damage,,,I'm pissed,,because I didnt even had it for 1 week and I already fu#$#@ed up!!!!![:@][:@][:@]

But I dont want to give up on the Aerial video yet!!!!

Hopefully he might still be able to take care of me!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
JMSTECH

Awwww charrua.. I feel your pain man!!! Not even a week old too! Well giving a try yourself in soldering it may get things going faster. Since the damage was caused by you it may be hard for Range Video to do anymore for you, but at least they helped troubled shot your problem when none of us could of help with a correct answer. Good luck buddy!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:16 PM
charrua

Yep I know!!! ***** happens!!! maybe I should have left it alone and it would have still be working!!![].

Man I have been trying to get a good video footage cause I wanted to do a review on our website about it and the First video I made kind of $uck$!!!
We been lazy about making videos and staff and we neded something new so this was going to be it making New aerial Videos,,,they are awsome every video I see outhere it's awsome.

I have been watching the videos from http://www.hobbywireless.com/gallery.htm and they also got some cool staff made there with the same equipment!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:29 PM
JMSTECH

Yeah those videos from Hobbywireless were made by Vrflyer of Canada (2006), Sergio00 of Spain (2006), and Wlson of Texas (Hobby Wierless himself)(2007) All very nice guys with a lot of success in this very youg field.

Jettpilot, Twinturbostang and typicalmister in this forum are another couple of heavy weights on this as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 PM
charrua

ohh yea I've seen Jetpilot videos they are all awsome,,i dont know the other guys but I guess ther are all good at it!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM
JMSTECH

Jettpilot is know for his long range flights (6 miles) on his own design glow planes. Good guy too!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 PM
moogly

Hey you'll get there it took me a 2 years and a few camera setups before i got any good videos and they still don't compaire to whats out ther but I have fun doing it and learning so its worth it
Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 PM
JMSTECH

Exactly! I agree!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
charrua

Hey have you guys bought anything from Hobbywireless??
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
JMSTECH

Not yet but I know Wilson or his other web name riosuza is selling pretty much the same recommended stuff as what we use, but cheaper. Like I said, he is a really good guy and I've known him since last fall. Email him and ask him questions, you may get a feel for what kind of guy he is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEkAv5J59E Here is Wilson doing a demo.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:24 AM
charrua

Yes I have been eamiling back and forth with the hobbywireless guys about my getting a new camera I could even get just the board but I'm thinking in getting the high res camera now,,but i'm not sure becasue the power suply i would need the separate regulator for it I think.'
See their staff is the same as the Range Video but it looks a little bit better the way they put it togeather even the label on top that tells you wich way the cables go in.

which camera are you using???? and how are you powering everything???? see my TX it says it's sopoused to be power with no more than a 10volt battery. So that's my concern about getting the high res camera and then what!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
moogly

Are you running rangevideo now and if so witch one? from what I saw it looks like you maybe stuck with a 5 volt camera if you are going to use the same TX.
the TX is whats regulating the power to the camera @ 5-6 volt
wireless video uses a regulater for there tx but can feed a 12 volt camera by bypassing the regulatar
so witch tx do you have ? and can you serarate the power to the camera and TX
useing a 3 cell with power going to the TX and then pulling power from the same 3 cell to the camera @ 11.1-12 volts then video out and ground to the TX should be all you need
but the again is here that much difference in quality between 380 line and 480 standard TV is only 320 so is the price difference worth it ? for what you want useig what you already have?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM
charrua

Yes I have the Range Video staff after my last time bad experience with him I still gave him another chance and bought from him anyway (again),, but I didnt know about this other guys and it looks like they use the same components just done a bit different and for the same price.
I got a friend of mine who will be buying their staff with the high resolution camera and I'll be getting just another kx131 from them since I think I'm already stuck usign a 5v camera with the Range video TX.
I wish I would have seen tjeir staff first!!
I have emaild them( Hobbywireless) a few times and so far I got every reply back from my emails,it looks like they do provide customer service.
I'll be able to comment which one is better and if that high resolution camera you can add to their package for another $30 is worth it or not.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM
moogly

I weny with future hobbies I bought his discounted setup for 175.00 and it came with a sony 420tl camera and 10dbi patch
I bougt a couple of batts from him and one was puffed up whe I got it so he sent me another and I got to keep the first witch still works by the way
and on the camera setup he speced a 12dbi patch and it was 10dbi (not a big deal) when i called him on it he sent me out a free lens
he has always gotten right back to me and seems like a great guy
and your right its all the same equpment just setup a little different
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
charrua

How about the diversity rx they have is it really that much better????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.