Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Newbie to Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Iron6000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to Cameras

I want to get my hands into inflight video for my planes. I've been reading so many threads and can't quite put things together, so I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction! I would like to get a nice setup as I can't afford to buy cheap, meaning I only want to buy once.

I would like to be able to capture the footage somehow at the field then later transfer the video to my computer. I saw the systems with the rx/tx but how do I save the video? I understand I can get the live feed I just don't know how to save it at the field then transfer later on.

Does the camera and tx power from the plane or do I need a seperate power sorce?

Any help or explanations on how I can set this up would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
mal75

Default RE: Newbie to Cameras

You can get get a complete system from www.futurehobbies.com or www.rangevideo.com. I record all my video on my camcorder and transfer it to my pc. I also recommend checking out www.fpvvideo.com for more info.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
moogly

I bought a discontiued system from future for 175.00 and it work great It not all that upgrageable but it is complte and works for me
theres some videos @ www.putfile.com/mbren
or rcu videos search for auther moogly
Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
pfatz

I am putting a Slow Stick together to haul a camera, both pics & video (maybe 2 different cams).

I had picked out a VidCam but it Tx's on 2.4 ghz and I understand it conflicts with my Spectrum DX7 on 2.4ghz.

Any suggestions or work arounds for this problem.. How about a different camera.

Are there cameras that record for later download to my PC or Video recorder?

I ordered an Apitek (inexpensive) camera to try for pic's. Anyone tried such a camera? $10. + Shipping
Old 08-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Bad_Daddy

I just bought one of these, and it's an incredibly small camera that can take hundreds of stills or 60+ minutes of video, stored to the onboard memory chip.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=312538
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
wjglynn

My Blackwidow AV 2.4gig system transmits on a fixed frequency withing the 2.4gig band. My airplane is flying with Spektrum radio equipment. By powering up my video transmitter before powering up the Spektrum assures that the Spektrum does not grab the frequency slot that occupied by the video transmitter. In queries to JR about this scenario they state that even if there is channel contention manufacturer adherence to the 2.4gig standard will assure that they will not interfere with each other.

I have had no problems with a Spektrum radio system controlling the plane while transmitting video with 2.4gig. My gasser GBS has probably 10-20 flights with this configuration. I am also using an additional 72mhz radio system for PTZ.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM
moogly

Godd to hear I got into it about this the other night about DX6 & 7 and my 2.4Ghz camera set up I'm on the same page as you but this guy swears that they won't work togather I figured they would
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
moogly

I fogat to tell you I use a camcordr at the field to record and edit it later a small 12 volt batt for resiever power and a 600mah batt on the plane for TX power
heres a small video of my set uphttp
//media.putfile.com/setup-and-flight
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 AM
wjglynn

Each time a Spektrum transmitter powers up it scans the band for activity on the 80 channel slots. It picks two slots not being used and locks onto them. Even if one of the channels was competing with another source the specification for the technology mandates that the two be able to co-habitate. I suspect that means that theoretically it could slow down service on the slot in contention. With path diversity in the DX7 the system would merely use the frame from the other channel any time a delay occured on the channel in contention. With new technology this indeed is a bit un-nerving but overall it seems to me that it still drastically reduces risk when compared to the known shortfalls of 72mhz.

I am building an electric version of my G38GBS with a 160 electric motor. It will have a Spektrum reciever controlling the plane and the same 2.4gig video transmitter. Hopefully it is only a few weeks away from maiden.

Good luck - Bill
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
wjglynn

Moogly,

I did the same for my G38GBS. On the coming E-Stik I will have a Sony Mini-DV onboard but will also still record on the ground with a vcr inline before the video goggles.

Bill
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM
moogly

sound wild sound FUN
I flew for awile looking through the veiw finder and it pretty neat cause when you look back up you have to find your plane make you butt pucker
Old 08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
wjglynn

That's why our project is a two man operation. My pilot flies the bird. I fly the camera.