Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 AM
savage 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

I have the Flycamone.. you can't beat this thing for the money and quality ( I got mine for $30 2 yrs ago at Overstock.com).. I have dropped it from the sky, ran into fences, strapped it to my goggles, on my helmet, you name it, it's done it! good sound and video, although Youtube messes them up upon upload , they look great on your pc..you can't go wrong! I cracked the case and added a Futaba connector for up to 1 hour record times.. see samples here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOjqPuYv_us
Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
mfpage

Please HELP !
I purchased my FCO2 about a week ago and cannot get it to record videos or pictures.
Using standard 2gb FCO2 Rapid Rush SD card.
Battery is at 99 charge.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM
akouzmit

Try to use another card like 2GB Transcend or 2GB Panasonic.

I have use them in the past w/o any problem.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
willowarune
My Feedback: (2)

I have been very interested in obtaining a FlyCamONe. Recently I found the Chinese (who else) have come out with what appears to be very similar and man y of these are listed on eBay. Has anyone tried one of these? The link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-MINI-SPY-CAM-CAMERA-MINI-COLOR-DVR-VIDEO-RECORDER_W0QQitemZ250344815035QQcmdZViewItemQQptZD igital_Cameras?hash=item250344815035&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Seems to be very similar...
Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM
gittarpikk

I have not bought my RC cam yet... and have been watching.. I note that its only 15 FPS (you really need 30) and the lens aperature is a pinhole...not much size so I would think right off it will have trouble with light extremes , weak color and lousy low/highlights.... my 2 cents... but bet you get similar responses
Old 12-28-2008, 03:07 AM
jaav

In reply to tim777jet.
My camera will only record for 1-2 min.then shut down, just before it shuts down the display would flash 66 and CH. battery failure.

i made up a 5volt regulator and pluged to the base, to run off a flight pack been using it for 2 days as a helmet cam with no problems. did a 35 min run..

today I fitted it to my wing with the power conected to the base and aciddently tried to fit the camera the wrong way to the base and blew the camera......
How stupid of me, In my trade rule #1 power down circut before servicing.
dont do my mistake...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Handfist
My Feedback: (1)

Hello, Has anyone bought the 2.4ghz flight cam set up from Nitro Planes. If so would really like to hear from you. I think if I could get ahold of another
9v battery adapter, I could then test the set up. However, cannot use the set up using my digital camcorder (Panasonic). I tried using the avi, but think it is
only out not in. Thanks in advance for your help! Mike
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 AM
baldwind

Can anyone tell me if i can record with flycam one2 without getting the movie upside down? (Not turning the unit upside down of course))
I have heard about updates that can fix this issue, but i cannot find it.
I have downloaded Ver 4,01.
And at the same site i downloaded it i read this: Firmware Version 3.03
"The Update V 3.0 enabled the view rotation of 180°"
I cannot find Ver 3.0.
Is this feature also in Ver. 4.01?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: baldwind

Can anyone tell me if i can record with flycam one2 without getting the movie upside down? (Not turning the unit upside down of course))
I have heard about updates that can fix this issue, but i cannot find it.
I have downloaded Ver 4,01.
And at the same site i downloaded it i read this: Firmware Version 3.03
"The Update V 3.0 enabled the view rotation of 180°"
I cannot find Ver 3.0.
Is this feature also in Ver. 4.01?
Baldwind,

Theoretically, the FCO2 firmware download and upgrade I recently did gives the option to invert the image being recorded. I haven't crawled thru the menu to try to find it yet, and then test it out.

Since the image can be easily manipulated after being imported into Windows Movie Maker, where you then use Video Effects>Rotate 180 degrees+Mirror Horizontally, it doesn't bother me that much.

Rip
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
baldwind

Thank`s!
I also have used moviemaker to rotate it afterwards, but i was hoping to find an even easier way.
I have got some new options in the menu. i will continue searching
Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
baldwind

i found it!!
the new manual had all the information i needed.
"180° turned recording
Pressing the shutter button a second time after “RY †is displayed, the following modes are displayed turned by 180°. Recording is now upside down."

;-)
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: baldwind

i found it!!
the new manual had all the information i needed.
"180° turned recording
Pressing the shutter button a second time after “RY †is displayed, the following modes are displayed turned by 180°. Recording is now upside down."

;-)
Cool!

I'll try it...

Rip
Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

Guys, I have a FlyCam2 and have experienced it's shortcomings. I had a chance to try this new camera and am very pleased with it; enough so that I now stock it on my site. It plain and simply shoots much better video than the FlyCam, and is smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

It lacks the still pic function, but if you're after video only in a super small and light package, check it out. It is smaller than a pack of gum and weighs less than an ounce. It can actually shoot video indoors which is pretty much impossible with the FlyCam.

[link=http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=CAM&Category_Code=ACC]AeroCam Lite[/link]

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM
willowarune

I finally got my FlyCamOne2 in the mail yesterday....

Made sure the unit was OFF and plugged it into the USB connection. The letters PC emerged, but then no change. No indication of charging (i.e. 33, 66, 99) as instructions stated and no fuctions. Taking the unit off the USB connection and the screen simply went blank.

Any suggestions?

Willow
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: willowarune

I finally got my FlyCamOne2 in the mail yesterday....

Made sure the unit was OFF and plugged it into the USB connection. The letters PC emerged, but then no change. No indication of charging (i.e. 33, 66, 99) as instructions stated and no fuctions. Taking the unit off the USB connection and the screen simply went blank.

Any suggestions?

Willow
Willow,

I think there is a mode that will show the 33, 66, and 99 while charging, but I don't use it, or can't find it; one of the two! The instruction manual is obviously translated to English by someone whose first language isn't.

In any case, leave it plugged in for at least 2 hours and you should have a full charge.

Mine also goes blank after unplugging also. That's because the power switch should still be off. (duh)

Now, go thru the power up sequence for a video recording:

1. Slide the power switch on (forward towards the lens). The screen will still be blank.
2. Press the middle button (should now see "PY" on the LCD; if you see another set of characters, I think you keep pressing this button until "PY" appears)
3. Press the forward button (should see "Up" )
4. Press the middle button again to begin recording (moving dashes appears around the perimeter of the LCD)
5. Press the middle button again to stop recording.
6. Power down.
6. Hook up the USB cable when you're back at your computer and download the video file.

Rip
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
willowarune

I wrote the fellows at SONIC RAVEN (where I bought my FlyCamOne2) and got the following reply. Very good - and it worked just as Eric stated it would!!

Willow,

No it should still be okay. This is normal. You should have the camera unplugged and then turn it on. After a second or two you should press the middle button then the top button. If you do not see digits on the LCD screen then something is wrong. Additionally you should be able to see the charging status but you will have to read the manual to view the status. (There are 2 versions of this camera and you have the newer one (they just changed some things around and I don’t want to tell you the wrong way).

Regardless, I stand behind my products and if you can’t get it to function I will gladly refund your money if you return the camera. I can gladly help you more if you need it. Please check the camera like I mentioned when it is not plugged in. Turn the switch on (after it is not plugged in) and see what happens. These cameras are built to withstand impacts and I doubt the horrible shipping transit broke the unit but like I said I will take care of you regardless.

Please feel free to ask more questions and at the least email me back if you figure it out.

Thank you!

Erik Sacino

Great customer service from SONIC RAVEN!!!

Now, How do I download the new firmware to get the Web Cam option???

If I download Version 3.03 do I need to download the earlier version as well??

Willow

Sonic Raven Technology
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
willowarune

Thanks, Rip!

I now have it working and will try to get the 3.03 firmware onto the unit.

It is a wonderful little camera! Very please and happy with SONIC RAVEN...

Willow

Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM
badass68c

Default RE: Experience with

please help me with my flycam i can not get it to record any thing. when i put it on a setting and push the shutter button nothing happens

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: badass68c

please help me with my flycam i can not get it to record any thing. when i put it on a setting and push the shutter button nothing happens

Hi BadAss,

Did you do the firmware upgrade?

If you follow my steps in post #65 and it still isn't working, contact Hobby Lobby support and get them to help you, or have them accept a return or give you a replacement.

Rip

Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
mustangman177

Well, I went ahead and ordered one of these. Hobby Lobby had them on sale for $74.99. Got the connector which connects the camera to the receiver and the swivel adapter for the camera lens. In all about $125.00 including tax.

After reading the mixed reviews for this camera....Tell me I did the right thing. From what I've read:

1. The battery is of low power, so can't expect video in excess of 20-25 minutes ? A secondary
battery could be substituted in by opening the case-removing the leads from the presentbattery and soldering in leads for a cell telephone battery.

2. The recording card used must be a 2GB SD card (preferably Panasonic). Others will not work ?

3. May have problems getting the unit to work properly, ie... unit turning off in flight, audio not in
sync. with video. , no video or audio at all ? just to mention a few from the above posts that
I've read.

I am going to remain overly optimistic on this unit. Should be receiving it in the next couple of days. The price being $75. enticed me into getting it. Normal price $99. ?

When does come in, will follow the instructions (I've downloaded them off the internet off the suggestions of others). Doesn't look to hard to use if it will perform as the instructions states.

Thanks for the opinions on this unit on this thread.....If others have their opinions-or how they might have "fixed" a problem, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks

Cary
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: mustangman177

Well, I went ahead and ordered one of these. Hobby Lobby had them on sale for $74.99. Got the connector which connects the camera to the receiver and the swivel adapter for the camera lens. In all about $125.00 including tax.

After reading the mixed reviews for this camera....Tell me I did the right thing. From what I've read:

1. The battery is of low power, so can't expect video in excess of 20-25 minutes ? A secondary
battery could be substituted in by opening the case-removing the leads from the presentbattery and soldering in leads for a cell telephone battery.

2. The recording card used must be a 2GB SD card (preferably Panasonic). Others will not work ?

3. May have problems getting the unit to work properly, ie... unit turning off in flight, audio not in
sync. with video. , no video or audio at all ? just to mention a few from the above posts that
I've read.

I am going to remain overly optimistic on this unit. Should be receiving it in the next couple of days. The price being $75. enticed me into getting it. Normal price $99. ?

When does come in, will follow the instructions (I've downloaded them off the internet off the suggestions of others). Doesn't look to hard to use if it will perform as the instructions states.

Thanks for the opinions on this unit on this thread.....If others have their opinions-or how they might have "fixed" a problem, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks

Cary
Hi Cary,

Properly charged, the battery will run far longer than your engine (gas, fuel or electric)! Don't bother with the external battery.

The firmware update should solve the audio/video sync problem (it did for me).

Image quality is very much affected by vibration. You'll spend the most time experimenting with placement, and attachment methods, to minimize this interference. I fly mine on a giant scale Mustang with a Saito 220 "thumper" engine. Vibration is the enemy for me! Electric-powered platforms should fare much better.

All in all, I'm pretty OK with the value at the price I paid (about $70).

Rip

Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 PM
mustangman177

Thanks Rip for the re-assuring remarks. After reading some of the reviews from others on this post, I was wondering if I was doing the right thing.

I'll be using a smaller O.S. 46 FX or a O.S. 91 with this camera. Hopefully vibration will be minimized.

Looking forward to it coming in and using it. Will post video when I can.

Will also do the filmware update for the improved audio /video.

Thanks again.

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Teacher/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Teacher/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/img]

Cary
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
mustangman177

Could someone please post a picture how you mounted the camera to the base plate ? I want to make sure I mount the camera properly to the base plate and not backwards, as I've heard if done backwards this will short out the battery.

Also how are the wire was attached to the lens and the baseplate that rotates the lens.

Would be nice if there was a picture supplied with the camera of how the camera was mounted and the supplied hardware attached to the camera for the pivoting lens function. I'm sure I could figure it out, but a picture would be nice.

Just a few other questions. When attached to the planes receiver.

1. The planes lens can be pivoted 90 degrees by ataching to channel 5 and using the retract switch on the receiver.
2. Will I be able to turn video on and off ? and at the same time take "still" pictures ? or just do one or the other depending on what function the camera is placed on ?

Update:

Went to the flycam website and found a useful picture showing how the camera was mounted to the base wit h the hardware.

What channels did you plug the flycam into the receiver with ? Would channel 5 (retracts) be for rotating the camera the 90 degrees ? What channel is used for turning the camera on and off with. ?

Thanks for the help.

Cary
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
mustangman177

SENT IT BACK
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM
oliveDrab

Rip n Bank -

I've got a FlyCamOne2 that I've messed around with on the ground and am pleased with the video I get out of it. Now I want to mount it on a power plane. Was going to mount it on the bottom of my trainer (O.S. 61 FX) or on top of my Siren electric Hotliner.

Questions:
1. If I mount it on my O.S. .61 FX powered trainer, am I likely to have a vibration problem? And how do I resolve that vibration problem?
2. Is the velcro that came with the camera sufficiently strong to attach it to a plane? Am leary about attaching the camera using velcro!!!

I suspect I should mount it to the bottom of my electric Siren Hotliner but might not be able to strap it to the bottom.

Thanks
-oliveDrab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.