Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Can anyone tell me which SD card to use, I tried a Kodak 2G SD, Pixar 2G SD high speed, Polaroid 1G SD, and a San Disk 2G SD card with no luck recording... The only SD card that worked so far is a Kingston 128 MB SD Card, but I want max compacity... Can anyone tell me how to update the camera with the available 3.03 version... Thanks...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am using 2GB Transcend and 2GB Panasonic.

These SD cards are working w/o any problem with my the very first version of FlyCamOne2 (newer upgraded firmware).

It is possible that you have a problem with very weak LiPo battery inside the camera.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank You Akouzmit. I will get one of those SD Cards. I read on RC forms to stay away from the card that fco sells through Hobby Lobby and in its instructions because it's said to be no good. As for the upgrade problem, once I figured out how to extract the winzip files, and not try to run the upgrade from winzip, the ST02N Upgrade file worked great...
    Now I can see that the battery is at 99 or full charge which is great. Being able to film upside down makes mounting the camera easier. Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just made my first run with the FlyCamOne v2 yesterday on my tunnel hull boat. It gets a little vibration from the engine and movement through the waves but all in all it looks good for something that weighs less than an ounce. It can look a little wavy but here's the link http://www.youtube.com/user/fmimages

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a couple of images from this video. There was a log with a bird on it. The view from my viewpoint as very detailed so I am enclosing a couple of frames from the boats point of view for comparison. Youll notice that they are less than 20/20. The second picture if you look closely right of center is the log with bird. The third one is a duplicate of the first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn35884.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	971564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40877.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	971565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77171.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	971566  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a FlyCamOne2 also - I installed one of the fast access SANDISK 2Gb SD Cards. Working nicely.
    The Instruction Manual on the FlyCamOne website states the maximum sized SD card the Cam can take IS 2Gb.

Mine works very well, records decent video with no problems. However things go bad once it's connected to my 450 class Heli....

Once the Heli is fully spooled up, the vibration (from the rotors i presume?) is causing the video to come out all wavy, for the whole video!

I'm currently looking at the mount - thinking of using materials that will help "absorb" the vibration effect, so the video comes out smoother.
    Will upload Vids to YouTube IF I can reduce the issue enough to make the video decent.
    - Thunder Tiger Mini Titan (450, e-CCPM)
    - E-Flite Blade CX2 (micro, Coaxial)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my example of video clip taken by FlyCam2 on board of my T-Rex 450SE v2: http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/TTHDY8NLHH61CF41

Camera placed in the soft net (visible in the first part of the video clip).

The second half of the clip taken by FlyCam2 attached to my heli.

Andrew.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: akouzmit

Hi,

For a little while I have been using "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera on my T-Rex 450 SE v2.

I have found that in video mode camera shut down unexpectedly a few times and one time I wasn't able to stop recording and shut down power (everything was lost).

I read that camera exibit such problem in cold weather... well I am flying my heli in garage where temperature is ~ +5 degree celc (Toronto).

I get frustrated with loosing unique footages.

Camera is very light and well suited for any heli size, but look unreliable.

I am going to test it at room temperature, but so far I like my 5-in-1 tiny camera more (much more reliable although some additional work with file format).

At this point I would not recomment jump and buy this camera.

Andrei.
    I had that same exact problem when I first purchased it ... there is an upgrade to the firmware that will fix the unable to stop recording issue. It also adds some nice modes like battery remaining. info here ... [link]http://www.flycamone2.com/index.php?id=20&L=3[/link] ... I fly it with my quadrocopter ... it works fine with the firmware upgrade ...

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13510.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	984240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt60208.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	984241  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    Few days back I just made my first run with the FlyCamOne v2 ,it will not work with a memory card. It gets a little vibration from the engine and movement through the waves. It powers up, sometimes when no card is installed.
    ================================================== ===========================
    caroline16
    stop identity theft

stop identity theft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My brother bought one over the weekend.

Audio is way out of wack.
    Pictures are real bad, don't know if it's the vibration or what.
    Webcam doesn't work.

Can't update anything because none of their website links work. Are they out of bussiness or something?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Supersport, I just downloaded from their site last night. I haven't installed the software though.

I also donloaded the manual, but unlike the postage stamp one that comes with the cam, I've yet to find any english on it. Is there and english version avaiable somewhere?

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have two Flycamone2's and I can't get either one to take power through the baseplate. The external shutter works fine using port 1 and 2, and I'm using the latest firmware (3.03).

The backup plan: someone on another thread wrote that it's possible to provide power through the usb port. Anyone know how you do this without the camera getting locked in the pc or webcam mode?

Thanks,
    Zach

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's footage from my Flycam one on a piper cub http://video.google.com/videosearch?...a&hl=en&emb=0#

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new video from the FlyCamOne2. I mounted it on a racing hydroplane for the "Dash for Dinner" heat. The driver won and I got some good footage too. Check it out on YouTube FlyCamOne2 test run

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys, been using the flycamone2 for a while now and had shut down problems. When it first came out, we all had problems and were posting on the manufacturers website forum, but seems it has gone.
    We tried everything, but nothing was conclusive, you could put the cam in the fridge and it worked ok, but on a plane it shut down after 2 mins or so. Sometimes you could not stop the recording, so anything you had, was wiped when the battery ran out, or if you switched it off. some said it was the camera working overtime, when we flew, as a oppposed to recording a stationary scene, like inside your fridge, that caused it to shut down. Some said it was freezing due to wind chill on the battery and others said it was the LiPO low voltage shut down protection circuits.
    Well I designed a heater circuit and fitted it inside the cam. Then wrapped the whole thing up in some thin foam and ally underfloor heating linning. This worked great in temps hovering around zero last winter, got some really good inflight footage on my jet model.
    Went to use the cam a few days ago and probs returned, if it did last more than 1 minute, i could not shut the camera down.

I think I have cracked it now,,,,,,

I down loaded the latest firmware from the manufacturers site, (web address on someone elses post on here). After this, I now have the revised menu. Only problem was, when testing ( not on the plane), it would not last more than sometimes 10 secs and sometimes about 1 minute of recording.
    Opened the case and checked the voltage on the wires where they are soldered to the circuit board, had zero voltage. Tried a recharge for an hour, still zero, so assumed battery dead.
    searched for a replacement battery and found Maplins sell ipod replacements. They are in 4 diffent styles dependant on age of your ipod. I chose the 850 mah battery, which is nearly 4 times the capacity of the original. It has been reported that the original bateries are weak.
    Got home and firstly tried the camera again, low and behold, it powered up and worked for about 1 minute. Checked the voltage on the circuit board again and it was zero, strange.

Next, the ipod replacement bat, had three wires. The voltage across the red and black was 4.25 volts ( fully charged). Votage across red and white was just less. Dont know if the white wire is used for battery overtemp protection, or low voltage shut down protection or for charging.
    I peeled the tape off the battery top, to reveal the wire connections and found there is a printed circuit board at the top, containing 2 IC's and a couple of capicitors.
    I peeled the tape off the original battery, and found a similar set up, with 2 IC's and couple resistors.
    While apart, I checked the voltage across the original bat terminals and found battery was good, 4.25 volts, but still zero volts at the cicuit board connections.

Right, next up, got a torch bulb and powered it from the original battery and the new one. Results the same. The original battery is good. I then put an electrical motor across both batteries, it ran at the same speed. SO this proves the battery was good, so must be the low voltage protection circuitry telling the cam to stop.

Now tried the cam again with origianal battery and it started recording for around 45 secs. I waited till it shut down and touched nothing, then i took power from the new battery terminals, direct on the circuit board connections, and hey presto, it powered up and ran great, so I am pretty sure it is a problem with the circuit board components on top of the original battery.
    Many people have tried connecting an external power supply to external terminals which has not helped matters, but it could be that even that power goes through the circuit board and is controling power to the camera, I dont know for sure.

Now the next big problem, is how do i wire the new battery up. I dont know what the circuit boards on the batteries do, and dont want to connect the red and balck wires on the new battery only to the cam red and black wires, as it might blow the USB power supply on my camera. But I might need to connect the cam to the laptop for future updates!.
    Well my cheapo LiPo battery charger can charge 1, 2 or 3 cells, so i can chrge the new battery remotely and without a laptop.
    I want to keep the original battery and circuit board in tact for USB connection.

I therefore cut the red and black wires which are connected to the circuit board of the cam and removed the complete original bat and cicuit board complete.
    I cut the 2 main power connectors on the new battery, where they connected to its own circuit board.
    I fitted a male miniture two pin plug on the camera circuit board red and black power wires and filed a small slot in camera case leading wires outside and closed the case. I now have power plug on the outside of the camera.
    I soldered two wires and a two pin female plug onto the new battery terminals, and like-wise soldered a two pin female plug onto the original battery assembly red and black wires.
    I can now connect the original batery and connect it to the laptop for updtaes and then use the new battery to power the cam for recording and i can charge it without a laptop.
    Obviously the new battery is bigger and only a touch heavier than the original, but it can be tapped to the outside of the case no problem and dont forget that you have removed the original battery so weight increase isnt great.

SOOOO, does it work,,
    you bet, had four flights yesterday on the jet, it was two coats and wooley hat weather and the camera never missed a beat. I have removed the heater circuit but kept the foam wrapping. I can not get it to fail, so i am 99 % sure this is the cure, but never say never.

I see the manufacturer is selling an additional battery pack for longer recroding but not sure if this will work as like said previously, guys have fitted external supplies and it has not worked.

Is that the end of the story, well no. When I unwrapped the paper wrapper on the new battery, it states that it is a LiPo replacement battery. In the instructions it says it is a Litium Iron battery. I am not sure what it is exactly, but it did have exactly the same charged voltage as the original battery.
    My concern is charging it with a LiPo charger. I charged it outside on concrete floor and it took about 45 mins to fully charge from out of the packet and was cold to the touch, no heat build up, but can you electrical boffins give me some info on diferences between lipo and lithium iron charging. Obviuosly I treat all bateries with the respect they deserve.

So if this is the fix for this excellent camera, then what a shame the manufacturers havnt identified the problem and fixed it. The camera has too many functions for my liking, I just want a video camera to fit on my plane, not interested in security features etc.
    Anyway, back to the cost, I saw phone batteries selling for under 10 pounds, but went for the ipod replacement at 17 pounds sterling. Sounds a lot, but if i get 100% reliablity out of it, then i am happy, what else would i do with the nonfunctioning camera i had?
    Working away from home for few weeks so cant test it further till i get back,

Hope this might help some of you, not saying this is definately the fix, but it seems to have worked on mine. Also I might not have low voltage shut down protection, but remember the battery will last probably 4 times longer, so dosnt matter, you will be out of memory well before voltage is an issue.

All best Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Proof of the pudding, my first attempt at a movie with windows movie maker,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8J3AFWwmk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone tried this cam on the twinstar II electric and could suggest some mounting tips?

Or.. in general.. is everyone using the velcro mount.. fears of falling off/able to do rolls/inversions?

I'm still debating whether to get this unit..

My long term idea was to go 900mhz 500mw range video remote camera system with my laptop, but that would run me around $325 for everything, vs $99 plus a 2gb card ($120), but i believe i'd have to have a technicians class license for this (still unclear there)..

It would be really cool if this could be integrated with a system that shows you altitude (elogger?).. an onscreen overlay essentially..

Is it worth the $99..
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: http://tech-stew.com
    Twinstar II Brushless Guide: http://goo.gl/besLD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

velcro then safety strap with package tape and go!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice! Hadnt realized it came with a safety strap.. inversions here we come
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: http://tech-stew.com
    Twinstar II Brushless Guide: http://goo.gl/besLD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is anybody having audio problems with this camera? The audio can be up to 10 seconds behind the video. Ive installed the latest updates, the manufacturer says its vibration but it will do it even before the engine is started. I havent had any problems with the video or battery, just audio. Also, does anybody know of a similar camera that is of higher quality?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My friend Justin and I have 2 of these cameras. If your tx gets within 15 feet of the camera it corrupts the camera electronics and wipes out the memory card. I have one of the Oregon Scientific helmet cam #3 on order. A guy I work with has one and we parked it next to two transmitters on 47 and 18 at the same time for a few minutes and had no problems. The Flycam in my opinion is not worth the money. The earlier poster is correct about needing a technicians class HAM license to run that setup. A couple HAMS in our club have one of those setups and it will work way after the plane is out of sight. Study for the test and get one. That is my plan.
    Ralpho

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: akouzmit

I don't like this crappy camera as well, but just advice to you in case you want to get something from this crap:

1) Never use SDHC card as this camera is going to work only with regular SD card.

2) Never use more that 2GB SD card.

3) Never plug or unplug your SD card while camera is ON.

4) Never attempt to use this camera if temperature below zero degree.

==============

I found that camera has very weak power supply. 200mA Li-Po battery is very weak for cold conditions.

I removed this crappy Li-Po battery from the camera.

Then I soldered wires and put them out of the camera.

These wires have small connector from battery charger.

I am using external 1S Li-Po battery 1000mA/h with connector from servo.

This setup is much more reliable and I can shoot 2GB video non-stop at minus 3 degree celc. here in Canada.

I hope 4 "never" rules will help you a bit.

Andrew.
    Hello,

This is my first post in this forum and I am have a flat flycamone battery.
    I saw that you removed the flycamone battery. How did you do the connections? Is it possible to do it with the baseplate?

Do you mind to show me some pictures ?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Sky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once you opened camera there are 2 wires coming from the battery to the board (red one => +) and (black one => -).

You have to un-solder them (ONLY ONE AT THE TIME TO PREVENT BATTERY SHORTAGE).

Remove Li-Po battery and then solder two wires to the board (TIP: use servo wires with connector).

Lead wires out through the hole (TIP: You have to make hole before soldering and lead new wires through the whole before soldering).

Onece you close camera back you will have 2 wires coming out of the hole.

TIP: put 1-2 drops of silicon culk on the hole to prevent wires from damaging.

Once you have this setup you can use any Li-Po battery from ANY of your OLD CELL PHONE (as example).

They all have 3.6V per single cell (there is only 1 cell any way).

Solder another 2 wires to your Li-Po battery (from cell phone).

TIP: Use servo adapter wire with opposite connector (Red color =>
    + and black => -).

TIP: When you soldering wires to the battery MAKE SURE it can be inserted in your cell phone (w/o cover).

WHY ?

You will need to charge your battery in your old cell phone.

Once it is done remove Li-Po battery from cell phone and connect your servo connector to the wires coming out of camera with servo connector as well => SIMPLE as 1,2,3...

I am using Li-Po Battery from my old NOKIA-232.

It is about 6 months as I charge it and it is still working in my camera (about 1000mAh capacity).

Origional Li-Po battery discard as useless equipment (very weak one).

I hope my comments will help you.

NOTE: I have sealed camera with silicon and this is the reason I can't show you camera guts :-).

Good luck!

Be honest I have moved to another camera with decent quality.

You may look here: http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/HeliSept1st2008-wmv (Unfortunately compression is killing video quality I have prior uploading).

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

akouzmit: Download VirtualDub software. Search on google will show where you can get it.
    This will allow you to re-compress the video with very very minimal loss of picture quality.

I havent used it in years, but it was the best video software of its day.
    You can add plugins to the software to take out noise etc as well.
    Club Saito member #629

26 engines in the hangar...... I wonder if there is an Engine-aholics Anonymous......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd like to point out that despite the shortcomings of this little unit, it can't be beat for sheer portability. I only need 5 or 6 minutes tops of video since that is more than maximum time for a heat on a race day. The one ounce weight and small size makes it easier for me to convince a racer to give it a try. My two cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast