Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

video cam under wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM
crow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default video cam under wing

hi
i have asked a couple of threads back about which is the better place for cam: inside cocpit or under the wing.
Now i have a question if i mount cam under the wing as i`m planning to do, how much it will affect aerodynamic and balance of model. I intend to put the cam about 8 inches from fuselage.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:53 PM
forus

You will produce a moment which will be 8 inches times your camera weight. This moment has to be compensated by the ailrons or by putting less mass on the oposite wingtip (producing the same moment,mass times (greater)distance from CG). If its a big plane it probably will be easy to trim the aircraft,but on a smaller one you have to make sure the planer is in balance before flying. Underwing surface isn't as critical as the upper part, but try to make the drag as little as possible.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:16 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Let us know how it works out. I have mine in a box on top of the fuse/wing and have gotten some great video but have trouble with oil from the engine getting on the glass. I'm going to try rotating the engine to the side.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:39 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have put the cammera 4" out on top of the wing on my GWS beaver. If this little 3 channel plane can handle it you should not have any problems. I could not tell much of a difference in flying but there was a little tendency to pull right. Got some great footage that did not include the prop disk with it.