Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Novice to Aerial Photography/Need Hlp

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Novice to Aerial Photography/Need Hlp

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 12:35 PM
boulter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice to Aerial Photography/Need Hlp

Absolute novice to R/C Air photography. Can any one specify some basics. Plane size and type. Cameras (digital/film) that have been used, or available for hobby, or similar gear. Mounting and control mechanisms. Any gear already on the market for aerial photography?

Thinking about using a GB Eagle 2 as a plane with a .65 engine.
Any advice as to how to go about this endeavor?
Old 05-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

A bit new to it myself but are you talking about still images or video? I mounted a 35mm auto focus autowind camera inside a Right Flyer 40T. I used a CS20 servo mounted with servo tape to the top of the camera to activate it and plugged that into the flap channel on the radio. The servo arm would rotate and push down the button on the camera.
It took pictures OK, but the images were blurry. I figure this was a vibration effect but wrapping the camera in foam and mounting the engine on a Sullivan vibration damping mount did absolutely nothing to correct it. The camera was looking out of the left side of the plane. I would use the left wing as an aiming point. Point the wing at what I wanted a picture of and click the switch.
This is about the best image I got.
Im attempting wireless video now...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75537_29664.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	45089  
Old 05-03-2003, 10:30 PM
goliath-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default my camera setup

Here's My first try:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...45&forumid=226

Here's My latest::
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75556_16408.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	45090  
Old 05-04-2003, 03:14 AM
aston70

Fubar-One

What film speed, shutter speed are you using? Do you think you could use a faster film or shutter speed to help with your vibration problem? I am thinking you probably don't have an adjustable shutter speed, but I was just wondering.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Fubar-One

The camera I was using is a Pentax PC550. Everything is automatic on the camera. I was using 400 speed film. The plane has since been scrapped. I tried a couple different setups for carrying video and decided the plane itself is just too heavy to carry the additional weight of the video system. It was pretty much a pig from the word go even before I modified it.
I am currently assembling a Kadet Senior ARF to carry a wireless video system and might see about fabricating a way to plug and play the 35mm camera at times.
Powering the Kadet with an ST .51 ringed so power will not be a problem.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:53 AM
aston70

Well, that's the bad thing about automatic cameras I guess. I'm too chicken to send one of my Nikon's or Cannon Geos up. They're probably too heavy anyway. I used to fire rockets many years ago using 110 film. I used 400 film and still never got any pics I was satisfied with. Rockets really create vibration problems. Mine did anyway. I'm trying to build a scratchbuilt cub from cad plans right now for some wireless video. I'm going to use a Saito .91FS. Should have plenty of lift with a 90" wingspan. I'm going to start with a couple ebay cheapo's and then work my way up to some better quality equipment.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:12 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Thats why Im useing a 4. mega pixi camera. They can do shutter speed priority mode, you select a shutter speed (to eliminate vibratio) of say 250ths of a sec or abouve, probable more, then it selects the apiture. This should fix that problem the only other one is that a four mega pixi camera has good egnouf rez for 5x7 and doctored 8x10's. I just hope the Pixi's arnt afraid to fly.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:42 AM
W4UAV

In my opinion:
Find yourself a high wing Trainer airplane. I have a SIG Kadet LT-40. This is supposed to be a ".40" sized airplane, it is alot bigger, close to a ".60" size with its 70" wingspan. Even for an ARF (almost ready to fly) airplane, it is EASY to put together, very roomy interior and a pleasure to fly. I put an OS .46 FX motor on it.

For camera equipment, it depends on if you want to do still or video as Fubar-one said. I like downlinking video.

I use a color 400 line microlens camera mounted on the left side of the fuselage (to avoid fuel spray). It is attached to a servo which goes from straight ahead to straight down with the flip of the GEAR switch, channel 5. Its powered by a 12 volt pack (two six volt packs together).

Currently I use a 100 mw 2.4ghz video transmitter from Black Widow AV. It works ok close in, within an eighth of a mile, and to receive, I have mounted the receiver to a 6' PVC pipe to get it up in the clear.

You CAN go the TV/VCR route to record, but I would skip it and find a digital camcorder that has analog video INPUT. They are becoming more popular now than a year ago, I use the Canon ZR60, a mid level model, works great.

Now comes the fun part. Once you get this all set up, you can experiment with what you consider works best for your taste and budget. Then you can share your setup with us on this forum and we can learn from your experience.

Links to mentioned Parts:
Kadet LT-40
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG19&P=7
Black Widow AV
http://www.blackwidowav.com/productscomponents.html
Canon ZR60 (find best price on this site)
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...4e548f90e506a6

Hope this helps anyone looking to get started in this COOL part of this hobby!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Chet Tuthill

Default Aerial Photography and TV

If you have a few minutes you may find some sections of my web site of interest. [URL=http://chet_tuthill.tripod.com]

Chet Tuthill
Old 09-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Novice to Aerial Photography/Need Hlp

I just took some pictures using a Goldberg Eagle with a Kodak Advantix camera of some crop fields for agricultural use. They turned out ok, but I really need to get some better shots. I've been looking at the Black Widow AV wireless video system that plugs into a digital camera. I would like to be able to see what I'm taking pictures of. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone have any better suggestions?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:03 PM
digsy

Dan

where did you get the Sullivan vibration damping mount from ?

Digsy
Old 09-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Fubar-One

Bought it from Sullivan directly thru Shopatron. The mount I used was the Flex-Mount.
[link=http://www.sullivanproducts.com/MotorMountsContent.htm]Sullivan Motor Mounts[/link]
Bout halfway down the page.
ORIGINAL: digsy

Dan

where did you get the Sullivan vibration damping mount from ?

Digsy
Old 10-02-2003, 05:36 PM
ttmr

Do you think that a 80" .46 powered cub would make a good platform? The pictures would look realy cool out past the struts and the N numbers are on the underside of that wing and would be visible.

P.S. the plane climbs like a banshee as it is...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Fubar-One

I dont see why not. The Kadets my father and I use have an 80" or so wingspan and even with the 10 cell AA nicad pack, the tx, camera, and extra servo it still climbs like all hell with the ST .51 I have on it. Had a flameout on one of the first flights and I was able to circle the field at least twice before landing.
ORIGINAL: ttmr

Do you think that a 80" .46 powered cub would make a good platform? The pictures would look realy cool out past the struts and the N numbers are on the underside of that wing and would be visible.

P.S. the plane climbs like a banshee as it is...