Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

High Altitude Flight

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Altitude Flight

Did this over the weekend using a Nikon Digital Camera,what you think??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFUH2Tiytpk
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
cmoulder

Default RE: High Altitude Flight

Steve,

Nice video. What program did you use to compress it? I am just getting into this (digital video) and thus far my compressed files don't look nearly as good as yours.

HOWEVER, even with the wide-angle perspective of the lens, it looks as if your aircraft was flying pretty high, perhaps 1000-1500 ft AGL, which has legal ramifications here in the States and, I would imagine, in GBR as well. In the locales that I fly, light civilian aircraft routinely fly at these low levels and flying a model this high would definitely pose a serious risk of collision.

Believe me, I am no nanny-statist, but I hope you have a couple of spotters with you who are keeping a keen eye and ear on possible full-scale traffic.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Bob,
I just used the standard Movie Maker program no extra compression programs.The camera is set to Tv quality however so maybe thats why it looks pretty good? Regarding high altitude,I am actually flying in a fairly tight sqaure and have a spotter looking out for me just in case!!

Cheers

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
skeeter_ca

I did not know there was any kind of altitude restriction for RC models in the states. I have heard of restriction around airports, but not in uncontrolled areas. I just figured if you can see it you can fly it.

skeeter
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 PM
cmoulder

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44...mpage_2/tm.htm

The question then becomes not "How high can a model fly?" but "How low may General Aviation aircraft fly?"

FAR 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

And this is for congested areas. In both areas where I fly model aircraft, there is a fairly large amount of GA activity and lots of it is below 1000 ft, including a cropduster that flies about 10 feet off the deck, so I realize it is highly variable.

Just last weekend I was flying a video platform about 500 feet up as judged by a commercial pilot instructor (full-scale), who was also my spotter when a low-flying helicopter came directly into our area, probably about 800 feet. Hmm... probably no issue, but I quickly descended to about 150 feet just to be sure. I couldn't have known whether he might be climbing or descending.

Again, I'm not some sort of "rules weenie", but we all know that rules come about when people don't apply common sense. Never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes when flying that high!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
QF306

I live in a farm valley in Australia I still fly pritty Low ATM but sometimes aircraft fly at about 50-100 ft up the valley.
our highest hill is 1000-1200ft so technically he would be in the wrong right?
Even so It is not hard for me to hear them coming and dive down.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: QF306

I live in a farm valley in Australia I still fly pritty Low ATM but sometimes aircraft fly at about 50-100 ft up the valley.
our highest hill is 1000-1200ft so technically he would be in the wrong right?
Even so It is not hard for me to hear them coming and dive down.
The regulation I cited was for us Yanks, but I'd imagine it's pretty much the same in Oz.

But there's a difference between technically wrong and stupid wrong. If something can be done safely if extra measures are taken, I say go for it, but be ready to bail out at the first hint of conflict.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Huntster

So if that Reg is for you Yanks.... I guess us "rebels" down here in the south REALLY have no limits then

It is all about safety though..... We also have many GA planes that transit the area near our field and some oddly feel as though our field is something they need to come down to look at a little closer....We are used to it and we simply bring our planes in closer or down when they pass by.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
cmoulder

To folks in most other countries around the world, Americans are Yanks, whether they are from Pensacola or Pawtucket.

BTW, my hometown is about 50 miles to your east along I-10, Crestview.

And you're right... common sense should always trump all!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Huntster

Yeah, I'm with you about the Yanks thing..... Just pulling your leg.... I have a good friend who transfered to Cers-tuky. This portion of Florida is different... I'm loving the FLYING and the DIVING!!!!! The springs are FUN and Blackwater River is a treat in the hot summer!

That Common sense is often in SHORT supply during most cases!!!

I love this sport/Hobby...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
cmoulder

I know what you mean about that part of Florida...

People always think of Tampa, Orlando, Miami, St. Pete, etc., but I say I'm from the Alabama part of Florida.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Huntster

Ha Ha..... You got me... Almost spit my beer out on my monitor.... This is LA!!!! Lower Alabama. They LOVE driving 35 in a 45 mph zone. I was talking with a friend who takes Interstate and they LOVE to drive 60 in a 70?.... HELLO... The rule is ten OVER not under! My sentence is almost up!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
patrickegan

Reminding folks to use common sense is always a good thing.[8D]