Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Choosing a frequency

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
freekydeeky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a frequency

Hello all!!!

I am looking at tx/rx combos rangevideo.com. Can someone give a rundown of the pros/cons of different systems (2.4 GHz vs. 1.3 GHz vs. 900 Mhz)? Wattage (200mW vs. 500 mW vs. 1000 mW)?

In particular I am looking for information regarding transmission distance and, most importantly, effects of obstructions (trees, walls, etc.).

My apologies, I know I have seen this info posted here somewhere but I can't find it!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:17 AM
JMSTECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choosing a frequency

first of all a HAM license is needed to operate those of which you selected. The best option for you would be the 900mhz for it will handle multi pathing better than the other frequencies. How ever on channel 1 of the 900mhz is the only legal channel, secondly the 1.3 is fine and the least would be the 2.4ghz.
Higher the wattage, higher the transmission power but not always the case with 2.4ghz for the 500mw and 1K. It is only minimal difference but the 1K is much larger in size and weight. 2.4Ghz optional antennas are much easier to find and fairly affordable to which getting extreme long range is simpler to achieve compared to the other older frequency modules. But again... needs to be line of sight to achieve good clean video transmission. So it depends on how your flight path behavior is going to be. I usually fly in a straight path with no obstructions so I'm quite contempt with my 2.4ghz TX/RX.

900mhz is known to bug out gps and some servos if not properly orientated. Antenna selections is few but available at a slightly higher cost compared to 2.4Ghz. 1.3Ghz antenna selection is much the same as 900mhz.