Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

AMA Safety Code now permits FPV!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Safety Code now permits FPV!

I just saw the article in Model Aviation today that the AMA now permits FPV flight, as long as the person doing the FPV is on a buddy box, the master maintains visual contact, and the plane in flown in areas where the pilot has permission.

Brad
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
typicalaimster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Safety Code now permits FPV!

The rule change has been in affect for about 2 months now. We have a thread over on RCG about it..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945685
Old 12-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AMA Safety Code now permits FPV!

The way I understood the rules, is that any of that stuff was permissible as long as there was a person in direct line of sight of the aircraft and in full control of the aircraft as in a buddy box.

I recall a magazine article a long time ago, where a video game console was modified to provide full cabin first person view of the flight. The console was connected to a buddy box and the "master" was outside in full control of the aircraft while the system was active. If anything went wrong, he simply took over the controls. This must have been about 10 years ago or even more. I saw no problems with that. Where I see the problems is the "over-the-horizon" flying without a line of sight connection.

I'm glad that the AMA finally put in black and white something that has been an issue for a while, although with common sense should not have been an issue at all.

Rafael Flores
AMA 8109