Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

GPS Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 AM
sskumar1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Transmitter

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has tried equiping GPS in their helicopter or airplane such that you can see the co-ordinates with altitude by having a laptop??. I was wondering if anyone was aware of these kind of system??.
Thanks
kumar
Old 06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
MikeDD

Default GPS Transmitter

Check some links here;
http://www.elkhart.net/~miked/Ulinks.htm

Old 06-25-2003, 07:47 PM
W4UAV

Default GPS Transmitter

Yes, there are GPS overlay boards that will do just that:

http://www.icircuits.com/

Tip: Use a GPS that updates every second!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:55 PM
sskumar1

Default GPS Transmitter

thankyou very much guys, The information was very useful. I have some products to think with for embedding GPS in my heli. I am not sure if I want the video overlay one. because I have a small CCD camera which has in-built reciever along with it. So I guess I will be looking for something which can directly converts the GPS co-ordinates instead of overlay on video. The link which MikeDD sent me has lot of links too, I have to check one by one. Anyways I some good information to work with. Thankyou very much for the information guys.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:47 AM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Transmitter

Kumar,

I had a very similar question a little while back - Check this thread; might have some info you can use GPS Tx
Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 AM
sskumar1

Default GPS Transmitter

hi wildblueyawner,
I came across your dicussion yesterday, I was wondering what did you end up doing??. By the way the purpose of my concern of using GPS is maily altidude because I am planning to take picture of the area and find the scale of the picture. But there might be situations where I need the GPS co-ordinate for overlaying the picture in map. Of course my simplest solution would be to equip the heli with GPS and put a servo such that it records the same time the shutter tiggers. But I am also looking at my various options. Let me know if you happen to have some suggestion.
Thank you,
Kumar
Old 06-27-2003, 04:13 AM
wildblueyawner

Default GPS Transmitter

I came across your dicussion yesterday, I was wondering what did you end up doing??
Nothing! (yet) - Been too busy with the basic stuff, i.e. getting planes built; haven't been able to try the funsy non-essential things.

Re GPS-based altitude measurement, if you need something accurate, the low-end GPS devices aren't appropriate as they are not nearly as accurate as devices incorporating barometric sensors, which are only available in higher-end units such as Garmin's eTrex Vista

Another source for GPS modules Byonics

More altitude stuff - You might be interested in a recording altimeter that can download altitude vs. time data to a pc-viewable chart (excel spreadsheet). The abbreviated name is the "LoLo" Altitude Logger, developed in the Czech Republic. Might be effective if you can correlate the time of your pictures or GPS readings with the altitude charts:
A U.S. Source for LoLo
Original Czech Source (in English)

Another possible approach would be the wireless variometer sold by Thommys called the Picolario & Picolario Spec's that actually speaks the current altitude back to you wirelessly (an English version is available, and you need a scanner receiver) upon command or at regular intervals. These aren't cheap at $300 for the transmitter alone. I have one, but it's another toy I haven't gotten around to trying yet.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:36 AM
sskumar1

Default GPS Transmitter

I wish I had some money to get some kewl toys like that....... By the way I think I am going to give byonics a call tomorrow. I looked at the Picolario, looks interesting but couldn't understand. If you happed to have any online documentation in english please do let me know.

By the way is your project for any specific purpose??. Just curious. Thank you for your help and valuble informatiom

Kumar
Old 06-27-2003, 11:54 AM
MikeDD

Default GPS Transmitter

EMS/Jomar has some recording modules for altitude, airspeed, etc. They all use a LCD unit to dump the data.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:43 AM
wildblueyawner

Default GPS Transmitter

I looked at the Picolario, looks interesting but couldn't understand. If you happed to have any online documentation in english please do let me know.
Here's a link for the English Picolario user manual on Renschler's web site (Renschler is the mfr of the Picolario; Thommys is distributor to the U.S.): English documentation (PDF file) ==> Scroll to bottom of page

By the way is your project for any specific purpose??
No - not anything "important" that is - Just interested in adding new tricks and dimensions to an already-addictive hobby
Old 07-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Thommys

Default GPS Transmitter

Hello,
you can find the latest information on the picolario under
www.picolario.com

Beginning next week there will be a special US-version available. This one is working on the FRS-Band. It can be ordered at www.picolario-usa.com. This US-Version also uses US-units (feet instead of meters)

Thommy
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM
sskumar1

Default GPS Transmitter

hi guys,
Anyone try to use DGPS system?. I know that DGPS has a accuracy of 5ft , I came across this page during my search for optimized system http://www.rsr.org/dgps.html. I was wondering if anyone else has used this kind of system??.
Thank you,
Kumar
Old 07-16-2003, 12:14 AM
W4UAV

Default GPS Transmitter

Actually, DGPS requires a ground station referencing receiver to be connected to your GPS (Garmin uses GBR 21). WAAS is better, Wide Area Augmentation System. The GPS constellation references several ground stations by itself and then your WAAS enabled GPS receiver (newer ones) will receive the WAAS augmented signal ON ITS OWN and the accuracy is around 3 to 7 feet. So find yourself a WAAS enabled GPS unit and you wont need DGPS! Its great!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:15 AM
W4UAV

Default GPS Transmitter

Check out this link for more info...

http://gpsinformation.net/main/waaslaas.htm