Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

how much are video cameras?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much are video cameras?

how much are little video cameras for airplanes?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Attila
My Feedback: (2)

You generally get what you pay for. They comes in all costs. Suggest you check out www.supercircuits.com I have dealt with them and their guarantees are hard to beat. Also good tech advisce.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: how much are video cameras?

Originally posted by raptor5900
how much are little video cameras for airplanes?
Or you can do a "Search by seller" on Ebay for Spylinker. If you have broadband, check out the wireless videos on my website. Those were shot using the 800mw wireless system I bought from Spylinker. Loved the first one so much I bought a second one.
You can find my videos on my "Movies" page.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Fubar-One

Originally posted by Attila
You generally get what you pay for. They comes in all costs. Suggest you check out www.supercircuits.com I have dealt with them and their guarantees are hard to beat. Also good tech advisce.
My father and I each have the $349 system but havent gotten them airborne as yet. Too heavy for slope gliders. My father also got the worst runaround from these people regarding his order. Took two months AFTER THEY CASHED HIS CHECK to get his system. Got mine about a week after my credit card cleared.
Mainly they claimed they didnt have the transmitters in stock for several days, then the cameras, then the receivers yet they had all the other components for the system each time and were just waiting for whatever they claimed they didnt have in stock depending on the day and which BS'r he got hold of.
I got no beefs with them and have ordered microphones from them since but my father wouldnt piss on em if they were on fire.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:14 PM
closetflyer

"you get what you pay for" is good advice.

www.hicam.com.au has system based on CCD camera, which is best for mobile application.

www.blackwidowav.com has similar systems to hicam, with CCD camera, but overall cheaper.

www.wirelesvideocameras.com has many systems, but site is confusing to me!

BWAV has most extensive list of example videos. Look here:

http://blackwidowav.tripod.com

hicam has one example video:

http://www.hicam.com.au/vid.htm

WVC seems good for rockets according to website

I lean toward bwav for balance of price/performance.

Someday!.....
Old 07-05-2003, 09:00 PM
SKYPYRO

I got one for $36 bucks shipped. It came all the way from Hong Kong too! It is only 200 mw, as the 800 mw one looked too heavy. If you get this system, tell me and I will tell you how to get the camera unit down to about 1/4 ounce. The only problem is that a normal 9 volt alkaline battery weighs 2 ounces, which is a lot of payload for parkflyers. I just figured out how to get good video from it, I will try and post a vid later today.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:44 AM
mauiglide

I wanted a video system that had a good quality picture and had a monitor. It also had to have one of the highest transmitting power I could afford in a system. Monte at www.wirelessvideocamera.com set me up with a outstanding system which puts out one watt of transmitting power. The camera is a CCD type and has about 380 lines of resolution. I tried it out already and the video is spectacular !

Of course you get what you pay for and this system is about $800 complete. But the results are amazing and worth it.

BTW, to use the system I got, you have to have a amateur radio licence. This is because of the power output. You could get the lower power system and there is not licensing requirement going that route.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Markjsca1

I just got one of this cams from hong kong - off ebay for $13 plus $25 shipping - not too bad!!! please post how to get the camera down to that weight.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:01 AM
SKYPYRO

First of all, take a look at the connector from the 9 volt connector to the camera. It is darn heavy, solid and dense! Take out the hobby knife and hack away at the rubber on the connector on the camera side, but be very careful as there are 3 wires and some printed circuit board. Once you are down to the circuit board and the bare metal connector, note which part of the connector is connected on which part of the circuit board(there is a middle part and an outside part. Then take repeat on the battery connector part and note which part of the connector is connected to which wire. Then, take the metal connectors off, they should snap off somewhat easily. If they don't, just desolder them. Now it is time to remember which wire went to what part of the connector, and which part of the connector went to which part of the circuit board. I am not sure, but I think the side of the circuit board with the resistor, etc is positive and the red wire is obviously positive as well. Or, just match up the inside to the inside and outside to outside. Once you solder them up, you will have gotten rid of the two metal connectors, a small pile of rubber, and a lot of weight (over an ounce.) Although this will not make any noticable differance in say a .40 sizer, it makes parkflyers fly considerably better than with a stock cam. (BTW I am not responsible if you end up hacking the crap out of your cam)Dan
Old 07-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Fubar-One

That circuit board is a 5v voltage regulator. My 800mw system has that between the battery and the camera but not in the lead to the tx. The tx runs on 8v the camera on 5v. The boards that I excavated were clearly marked as to what went where at least in the case of my 800mw system. I dont recall if the ones on my all in one systems were or not.
I cut into the 800mw system as it comes with a grip of RCA connectors which are heavy and not needed if you have any skills with a soldering iron. Removed the voltage regulator and re-connected it closer to the camera. Added a 4 pin deans plug to the leads coming from the regulator to the tx and battery so that I can use different length leads between the tx and camera.

I just add whatever length of lead between the two deans plugs shown depending on what aircraft I have the system mounted on at the time. I just use carpet tape to hold it on the plane temporarily.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:59 AM
SKYPYRO

I would get some video, but I can't find my camera rx's battery lead I'll find it eventually...
Old 07-06-2003, 07:27 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

thanks guys i mite look on ebay cuz me and my friend want to make some nice movies out of my flying.......i dont have any money and my friend will not want to pay much.....(we're only 13)
i'm broke cuz i'm buying a new pattern plane.