Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

The right plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The right plane

Hi All,

I am looking to get into some aerial photography. I plane to do this at our lake, so here is what I am looking for. An electric slow flying plane that I can fly off the water. Has a high mounted motor so I can mount my camera on the front without the prop being in the way. I have a dx7 and dx5 transmitters, so I don't need an RTF unless thats all thats available in what I'm looking for. I have looked and the closest I can come is planes like the Banana Hobbies "Sky Surfer", or the "Easy Star", but these are not intended for water, OR CAN THEY BE? I would like to have 4 channels to include ailerons. If you can think of any that would work for me, I would apprieciate it.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 AM
cmoulder

Default RE: The right plane

You could use a Telemaster Electro, modified with the prop on top of the wing, and use floats. The plane doesn't know whether it has wheels, skis or floats!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56210.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1397583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98593.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1397584  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
bt98

You might check out Mountain Models. This plane is designed for Aerial Photos. http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=221

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43217.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1400285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84658.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1400286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62008.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1400287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14152.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1400288  
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, the Aerial Photography threads here on RCU aren't as active as the ones on RCGroups. You may want to ask your question there also. I think you'll get more feedback. I recently purchased a short kit of a camera platform called the "Super Solution". It's really just a "Big" electric foamy, but it's specifically designed to carry my Digital 35mm Canon Camera. It's big, slow, and stable .
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Franco2fly

This is something I did years ago, and now I'm trying to start again but go electric. My old platform was a Sr. Telemaster built in Germany at least 20 years ago(3 meter Wings). I cut a hole in the side instead of shooting out looking forward. This allowed the huge wingspan to be used as a pointer. Most times I set the small 35mm camera so that just a tic of wing would be in the picture. Back then, there were no digital cameras, so I used a point-n-shoot inexpensive camera. Problem was that the lenses were 28mm designed for birthday parties and people. Resolution was not too bad from 100 feet up.

Now, I want to take some small electric on my boat and take shots of other people on the water. So, my question is what's the best inexpensive camera that can be hauled by a 40 to 50" wingspan platform?

KKKKFL
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Tango Juliet

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I want to take some small electric on my boat and take shots of other people on the water. So, my question is what's the best inexpensive camera that can be hauled by a 40 to 50'' wingspan platform?

KKKKFL
If you can find a Canon A640 Digital P&S on Ebay for less than $250, they are great for Aerial Photography. I had one on a "Hawkeye" and it took outstanding images. Other than that, I can't help you much with small, inexpensive cameras, because I use larger, more expensive, DSLR's.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Franco2fly

Let's see, ten sales at $25 bucks each would recover the cost of the camera...

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Tango Juliet

I think you'd be lucky to sell prints for $25 a piece, but if you do, let me know the type of people you're selling them to.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Franco2fly

My guess is that there will be some wrinkles that will need to be ironed out.  What would be nice is to come up with a way to create an image the size of a post-it note (the small ones), give it to the potential customer with my e-mail address on the back and words to the effect: "Twenty bucks and I'll send you the .jpg, Twenty five and I'll mail you an 8x10 glossy"

Just a thought at this time.

KKKKFL
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM
willysknight

Absolutely the best I have used is the Multiplex Mentor. They also offer a float kit.