Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

I got my spylinker camera ....... HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

I got my spylinker camera ....... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Mariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my spylinker camera ....... HELP

i received my spylinker video camera from e-bay today and have some questions

1. how do you hook this up I wish for instructionson the transmittor there is a white plug with 3 wires red yellow black there is a mating plug with 4 larger wires with ends colored white yellow red and black I hooked these wires to the white yellow wires on camera now what to do with the black and red wire

2 there are 2 9 volt wire plugs included with a black male connector this connector fits the red connector on transmittor and red connector on camera however there is a place on receiver for 9 volt plug
Old 07-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: I got my spylinker camera ....... HELP

Originally posted by Mariner
i received my spylinker video camera from e-bay today and have some questions

1. how do you hook this up I wish for instructionson the transmittor there is a white plug with 3 wires red yellow black there is a mating plug with 4 larger wires with ends colored white yellow red and black I hooked these wires to the white yellow wires on camera now what to do with the black and red wire

2 there are 2 9 volt wire plugs included with a black male connector this connector fits the red connector on transmittor and red connector on camera however there is a place on receiver for 9 volt plug
These are RCA connectors. The battery clip ones are power plugs.
Yellow Female RCA to yellow Male RCA. This is the video.

White RCA to white RCA. This would be the audio but the tx doesnt do audio so this doesnt need to be plugged in.

Red RCA to matching red RCA. Power for the camera.

Black battery power jack to red jack. This powers the entire tx system.
Just match the yellow plugs and white plugs and the rest can only be plugged in one way if I recall.
Second battery jack is for the rx but the rx will also run on 12v. I power my rx from my E-flight box 12 tractor battery. I just made a power lead for it. Center pin is positive FYI.
When you have the system powered up both the tx and the rx, tune the rx to the camera with the rx antenna removed. This ensures you are tuned to the proper signal. Attach the antenna to the rx once you have it tuned.
Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else you think of.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Mariner

Dan
thanks that clarifies things i wasn't thinking about plugging the black lead from the transmitter into the red lead from the camera
so basically you power the transmitter through the red connector then power the camera with the black lead from transmitter correct? may be silly to ask these things but I don't want to burn this thing up also I am going to buy a camera today and as I understand as long as the camera has a input port that will accept the yellow video from the receiver then it should record ok
thanks for your help I will be mounting the camera in my Somethin extra this afternoon and flying tomorrow I will let you know how it turns out
thanks
Dennis
Old 07-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Fubar-One

Dan
thanks that clarifies things i wasn't thinking about plugging the black lead from the transmitter into the red lead from the camera
so basically you power the transmitter through the red connector then power the camera with the black lead from transmitter correct? may be silly to ask these things but I don't want to burn this thing up also I am going to buy a camera today and as I understand as long as the camera has a input port that will accept the yellow video from the receiver then it should record ok
thanks for your help I will be mounting the camera in my Somethin extra this afternoon and flying tomorrow I will let you know how it turns out
thanks
Dennis
Great!
Glad to be of assistance. Near as we can tell, most camcorders with an analog AV out will automatically switch to AV in when you hit record. The Sonys my father and I have will.
Wrap the wireless camera in foam as best you can to cut down on vibrations.
I look forward to your results!
Old 07-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Mariner

Dan
well i don't know what to think I bought a cam corder (inexpensive) JVC with the audio and video ports I hooked the camera up the way we discussed and plugged the yellow wire from RX to the yellow port on camcorder nothing no picture nothing I then got out the vcr and plugged the wire into the vcr input hooked up to the tv nothing I don't know what to think how can you check this thing out p[retty disappointing I usually do not have this much trouble with something like this it might be that I just got a bad camera any suggestions
thanks for the help
Dennis
Old 07-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Fubar-One

Dan
well i don't know what to think I bought a cam corder (inexpensive) JVC with the audio and video ports I hooked the camera up the way we discussed and plugged the yellow wire from RX to the yellow port on camcorder nothing no picture nothing I then got out the vcr and plugged the wire into the vcr input hooked up to the tv nothing I don't know what to think how can you check this thing out p[retty disappointing I usually do not have this much trouble with something like this it might be that I just got a bad camera any suggestions
thanks for the help
Dennis
I went thru hell getting my first system to work properly so you aint alone! Turned out it was me and not the system.

OK, assuming you have power to the tx system and power to the rx (little red light is on), there are several things it could be.

Test the camcorder:
If you plug the output of the VCR to the camcorder, do you see a picture? If not, you might need to fool around with the camcorder settings. On a Sony it switches on its own. With a JVC, you might need to set something manually. Ive never used a JVC camcorder.
If you do see a picture, then we know the camcorder is cool. If not, then you will need to resolve that before moving on to the video system.

Check the batteries. I use a 12v source for my rx, by the way.

The tuning for these Spylinker type receivers is VERY sensitive. One degree of rotation of the tuning knob can bring in or lose the signal!

If you have an AV input to your TV, connect rx to that, switch the TV to see that input, then power up the video system.

Its a lot easier to tune the system when its attached to a TV than to some other device due to the size of the screen you are looking at.

Turn the tuning knob to full one direction or the other (doesnt matter which) then VERY SLOWLY rotate the tuning knob back to the other direction.
I mean SLOW!
Its easy to miss the signal if you turn the knob too fast even when it seems slow.
I went thru this with my first system so dont feel bad.
Lemme know what happens. Provided the camcorder is seeing the AV inputs properly, that should get you up and running. If not, we will have to come up with something.
Good luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Mariner

What a day I worked with this camera quite a bit of the day results not good we determined the JVC will not record through the video port we did this with a vcr we hooked the out of vcr to cam corder and nothing so we then tried the camera on the vcr nothing then tried the camera to tv in video port the result as I slowly turned the adjustment know the picture would flicker and act like it was picking up some sort of signal but not enough to get a picture we tried moving camera various distance from tv we tried new batteries on camera and rx tried differant cables we tried differant channels on tv all with same results I've come to the conclusion the camera must have a problem if you have any ideas I am interested i appreciate your help
thanks
Dennis
Old 07-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Mariner

Dan
i decided this morning to try again with the camera and success I finally got a picture on the tv seems the wire from battery to power camera had a bad spot we repaired and the camera came alive what a relief anyway I am going to take the camera to best buy and try their display camcorders to see if I can get a signal on them sould be in business soon
again thanks for all your help
Dennis
Old 07-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Fubar-One

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mariner
Dan
i decided this morning to try again with the camera and success I finally got a picture on the tv seems the wire from battery to power camera had a bad spot we repaired and the camera came alive what a relief anyway I am going to take the camera to best buy and try their display camcorders to see if I can get a signal on them sould be in business soon
again thanks for all your help
Dennis
[/QUOTE
I ran into that same problem using my first setup. Drove me nuts thinking the camera system was at fault.
Bummer about the camcorder. I think you mentioned you just bought it. Can you return it?
Let us know what you come up with. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Mariner

I took the camcorder back without a problem now I am looking for a camcorder to use i am going to post a thread about what camcorders most guys use hopefully I can find out more about them do you know what they mean when they talk about a cmos camera
thanks again for your help
Dennis
Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Fubar-One

I took the camcorder back without a problem now I am looking for a camcorder to use i am going to post a thread about what camcorders most guys use hopefully I can find out more about them do you know what they mean when they talk about a cmos camera
thanks again for your help
Dennis
Pretty technical (mostly over MY head!) but an explaination can be found at:
CMOS vs CCD
Hope it helps!