RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   System any good??????/ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1314896-system-any-good.html)

Planes_Rule 11-29-2003 06:21 PM

System any good??????/

I have just purchased an Aerobird Challenger and i want to get a camera(livefeed) to put on it. I have looked through e bay and have found a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3061271432&category=48 632]camera[/link] thats 55 dollars buy it now price. I was wonderindg if this system is any good for its price and i also need suggestions on how to mount it onto the ABC. Any replies appreciated.

Fubar-One 11-29-2003 10:17 PM

RE: System any good??????/

These systems operate on 1.2ghz which is illegal in the US.
That being said, if you still want one, do a Search By Seller for Spylinker on Ebay. He has these same systems for a starting price of 99 cents plus shipping. He used to carry a grip of wireless video systems but only seems to have the two for auction right now.
I have purchased 3 video systems from him but not this particular one.

ORIGINAL: Planes_Rule

I have just purchased an Aerobird Challenger and i want to get a camera(livefeed) to put on it. I have looked through e bay and have found a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3061271432&category=48 632]camera[/link] thats 55 dollars buy it now price. I was wonderindg if this system is any good for its price and i also need suggestions on how to mount it onto the ABC. Any replies appreciated.

Planes_Rule 11-30-2003 01:58 AM

Auctually I'm not in the US, I'm in canada. But I'll check out the spylinker anyway. By the way, what kind of lisence do you need in Canada???

Fubar-One 11-30-2003 12:48 PM

I believe there is a Canadian version of an Amateur Radio license. Cant think what it is at the moment.

ORIGINAL: Planes_Rule

Auctually I'm not in the US, I'm in canada. But I'll check out the spylinker anyway. By the way, what kind of lisence do you need in Canada???

mr.rc-cam 11-30-2003 09:25 PM

[link=http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwGeneratedInterE/h_sf01709e.html]Candian Ham License Info: Click Me[/link]

SpaceCase 12-03-2003 11:37 PM

the 400mw 1.2 gig systems at tinywireless.com look good. Just dont get one of those cheap 50mw systems, I did and its not that great. You might want also to consider a transmiter that runs of your rx/batt if its got egnouf juice. blackwidow has some sweet 5v systems around too!

Planes_Rule 12-04-2003 06:22 PM

Those are all awsome but where woul you attach it to an areobird???

Myron 12-08-2003 02:06 PM

Hey guys,

Good Afternoon. I am new to this site and to the video stuff. I did just receive on of those 55.00 1.2gig EBAY cameras... I had no idea that it is illegal in the US to use that freq. What is the story behind that and where can I get more info? I made a small mount for it and strapped it to the top of an Avistar.. It worked OK when I was in close to the receiver but other than that the video didnt turn out. I have a automotive video system with an AUX input that I was using to view the flight.. the camera/TX is only like 2mW so I am guessing that is why it didnt work very well.... I have seen names like Spylinker and Blackwidow mentioned here... Are those the best quality/functional rigs out there? For those of you having good luck with this process, what is the average cost for a decent camera/TX and Receiver?

Myron

Fubar-One 12-08-2003 04:48 PM

Spylinker is also an Ebay vendor selling those cheap 1.2ghz systems. I have had good luck with the 800mw systems he was selling and at $50 with shipping they cant be beat.
BlackwidowAV sells 2.4ghz Ham legal systems that are either plug 'n play or build your own. His prices vary depending on what you buy. They seem to be high quality and reasonably priced. I havent purchased one of his systems yet but I do have my eye on one of the 5volt 600mw setups. The fact that you can power one of those systems using a standard rx pack is a big plus. I did already purchase a CX-161 camera from him which is a great camera. He shipped it VERY fast. He also reads and posts to this forum and has been very helpful to folks here looking for info.
I was hoping to field test a Spylinker/BlackwidowAV hybrid system today but the winds didnt cooperate. Rats.
I can think of several suggestions that might help with the system you already have in the meantime.
Put the rx up on a pole of some kind such as a length of pvc sprinkler pipe. 6' is a good start.
Also, tune the rx to the tx with the antenna removed from the rx. This will allow you to tune to the true signal and not one of the many "ghost" signals those tx's put out. Once you get the best image, replace the antenna.
1.2ghz does not like to travel thru objects such as trees, bystanders, what have you. Get the rx out in the open as much as you can.
Those ideas might not solve all the problems but should improve things a bit.
Good luck![8D]

ORIGINAL: Myron

Hey guys,

Good Afternoon. I am new to this site and to the video stuff. I did just receive on of those 55.00 1.2gig EBAY cameras... I had no idea that it is illegal in the US to use that freq. What is the story behind that and where can I get more info? I made a small mount for it and strapped it to the top of an Avistar.. It worked OK when I was in close to the receiver but other than that the video didnt turn out. I have a automotive video system with an AUX input that I was using to view the flight.. the camera/TX is only like 2mW so I am guessing that is why it didnt work very well.... I have seen names like Spylinker and Blackwidow mentioned here... Are those the best quality/functional rigs out there? For those of you having good luck with this process, what is the average cost for a decent camera/TX and Receiver?

Myron

Myron 12-08-2003 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info!... I will give those a try..... I was thinking about extending the antennae some on the RX and TX... it also says it runs on 8-12 volts and it comes with the 9 volt battery plugs. Will the reception get better if I jump that to 12 volts? Also is it possible to use a standard UHF type "wire" antennae with a coax connecter on the RX?... and replace the one in the TX with a longer lead? I may be "reaching" here but I am really interested in getting some good video feed!

Myron

Fubar-One 12-08-2003 08:08 PM

I run my rx from a 12v lawn tractor battery that I installed into a toolbox for electric flight purposes. Works fine. I would not mess with the antenna. When you start adding coax or other antenna wire to these things the signal loss is attrocious.

ORIGINAL: Myron

Thanks for the info!... I will give those a try..... I was thinking about extending the antennae some on the RX and TX... it also says it runs on 8-12 volts and it comes with the 9 volt battery plugs. Will the reception get better if I jump that to 12 volts? Also is it possible to use a standard UHF type "wire" antennae with a coax connecter on the RX?... and replace the one in the TX with a longer lead? I may be "reaching" here but I am really interested in getting some good video feed!

Myron