RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Losing the RCA jacks on wireless cam (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1483108-losing-rca-jacks-wireless-cam.html)

Ursine 01-30-2004 07:53 PM

Losing the RCA jacks on wireless cam

Last month there was a thread concerning removing the RCA jacks on the tinywireless system. It referenced a page on their site that had pictures on how to do it. That page is longer there, and trying to follow the thread without seeing the pictures is difficult. Has anyone who's done the mod got pics or detailed info? I gather there's some confusion on the shielding issue.
I just received one of these systems and don't want to hack into it blindly, but want to lose those jacks.

Thanks,
Dave

Ursine 01-30-2004 10:23 PM

RE: Losing the RCA jacks on wireless cam

OK, I know this much. I can snip the RCA's and join the wires at that point (shields and all). But I'd like to cut back further and take it back before the wire breaks out into 4 conductors. That's where I have the questions. Sorry if this has been covered already.

Thanks All,

Dave

Fubar-One 01-31-2004 12:29 AM

The shielding is really no big deal unless you are going to increase the length of the wiring.
Most of those transmitters come down to 3 wires going into the tx:
Positive power, negative power (ground), and video.
Coming out of the camera is the same, positive, negative, and video. There also might be an audio lead too. The positive will be red, negative will be the shielding, video should be yellow and audio should be white.
Where the leads all split into 3 or 4 RCA connectors, inside that rubber do-hickey is just a bunch of wires soldered together. The shielding of all the leads come together there in one big solder blob.
If the camera has a second "bead" between where the leads split into the connectors and the camera, you will need to leave that there. It holds a 5v regulator as the cam runs on 5v not 8v like the tx.
Other than that, you just need to match up the wires, red to red, shield to shield, yellow to yellow and so forth.
If you need any clarification (I know my explainations can suck) feel free to email me and I will try to help.

ORIGINAL: Ursine

Last month there was a thread concerning removing the RCA jacks on the tinywireless system. It referenced a page on their site that had pictures on how to do it. That page is longer there, and trying to follow the thread without seeing the pictures is difficult. Has anyone who's done the mod got pics or detailed info? I gather there's some confusion on the shielding issue.
I just received one of these systems and don't want to hack into it blindly, but want to lose those jacks.

Thanks,
Dave

Ursine 01-31-2004 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fubar-One,

Thanks for the info. Some probing with a meter came up with this.
I don't see a vreg so I think I'm pretty safe.

Thanks,

Dave

Fubar-One 01-31-2004 05:56 PM

Yup!
You got it. Man, looking at your diagram, I am sure glad I didnt post the one I drew. As an artist, I stink. You should probably keep that handy for the next guy that needs help!

ORIGINAL: Ursine

Fubar-One,

Thanks for the info. Some probing with a meter came up with this.
I don't see a vreg so I think I'm pretty safe.

Thanks,

Dave

PlaneKrazee 01-31-2004 06:15 PM

I am looking forward to when the new four prong Deans plugs come out. BTW, on the cameras I have purchased there isn't any shield on the video cable.

CenTexFlyer 01-31-2004 08:32 PM

Same way with my new CX161 (BTW - EXCELLENT camera!) it came with a header that had four plain old garden variety wires. 2 grounds, a red for power, yellow for vid and no brainer to hook up!

CTF

elevator_up 02-01-2004 01:27 AM

I recall that servocity has four prong Deans plugs for sale - 2.95 a set.