RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   mini DV / video signal dropout (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1489354-mini-dv-video-signal-dropout.html)

boxcar2525 02-02-2004 02:37 AM

mini DV / video signal dropout

I just bought a JVC GR-D70 mini DV camcorder for recording from my wireless video system. It seems that this camera is programmed to stop recording when the incoming analog video signal voltage drops below .8v. Has anyone had a similar problem with other inexpensive Mini DV cameras? I am now looking at the Sony DCR-TRV22. Any other recommendations? Sony tech people told me that it "shouldn't" turn off when the signal drops below their minimum of 327mV. I have not read anything about this type of problem in this forum, yet I assume that wireless video signal dropout is quite common during flights.

Rj-TailSpin 02-02-2004 09:42 AM

RE: mini DV / video signal dropout

That's good information! I am looking at a miniDV purchase also. I am leaning toward the Canon products... mainly the XL1s. I can't find the minimum video signal spec. I guess I need to do more hunting.

Rob

yb2normal 02-02-2004 11:27 AM

Hi boxcar,

I have a TRV22 on it's way from B&H Photo, so I'll be able to definitively answer your question.

Regarding your JVC unit, did you actually test this out or are you just going by what you are reading in the documentation?

I was looking at the JVC unit you bought and now I think I will wait to hear more about your tests!

Best Regards,
Bill

friesianflyer 02-02-2004 11:48 AM

I have a TRV 22 and a blackwidow 200mW system, and I dont get that problem.

IA-Flyer 02-02-2004 03:03 PM

I have a Sony TRV 27, if I get a video drop out it comes right back and keeps recording.
I had the video TX in my house and drove a couple of miles out of town, so there was plenty of time with no signal.
It never stopped recording and picked up the video as soon as it was available again.

Jim

W4UAV 02-02-2004 06:24 PM

I love my Canon ZR60, its also coming down in price, around $350.00.

yb2normal 02-03-2004 12:43 AM

The Canon ZR60 seems like it is hitting the sweet spot for affordable digital camcorders.

My Sony TRV22 arrived yesterday and it works like a champ. I like it because it has touch screen controls, so I can bury the camcorder in the foam in my pelican case with only the video screen showing, and still have access to the controls. Not sure if it was really worth the extra $200 bucks, but I try not to stop and think about it too much :D

Bill

Deltageek2 02-03-2004 11:44 AM

For a cam to shut down every time it encounters a loss of signal- tape wrinkle or spot of unrecorded 'snow'- would be a disaster in my business- recording old video and film to DVD and other new formats. Imagine if an old tape had heavy dropouts or wrinkles. The recorder could not be trusted to remain on thru the junk spots. You can expect an airborne signal to get a bit squirrelly near the ground as it reflects and glitches. Above 20 ft or so its no longer a problem tho.

It may be a "handy dandy feature" but I would not want that feature on anything I own. I use Digital 8 and regard Mini-DV to be another excellent format- just don't like that shut down thang...

Fubar-One 02-03-2004 08:34 PM

Oh man, if I started thinking too much about how much this hobby costs, I would quit.
Wait...
No I wouldnt... :D
Now if that 900mhz patch antenna would just show up and we could get some good weather on the weekend...
Typical pattern for So Cal: Nice all week then wind or something on the weekend.

ORIGINAL: yb2normal

The Canon ZR60 seems like it is hitting the sweet spot for affordable digital camcorders.

My Sony TRV22 arrived yesterday and it works like a champ. I like it because it has touch screen controls, so I can bury the camcorder in the foam in my pelican case with only the video screen showing, and still have access to the controls. Not sure if it was really worth the extra $200 bucks, but I try not to stop and think about it too much :D

Bill

Deltageek2 02-03-2004 08:41 PM

Hey, FU,

Any truth to the rumour that Californy has 4 seasons- Fire, flood, mudslide and earthquake? Not as bad as snow up to yer neck, I am sooooo sure!

IA-Flyer 02-03-2004 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Deltageek2

Hey, FU,

Any truth to the rumour that Californy has 4 seasons- Fire, flood, mudslide and earthquake? Not as bad as snow up to yer neck, I am sooooo sure!
LOL:D
Isn't that the truth!
I hate looking at all the nice "warm" looking pictures on this site this time of year.
Makes me wonder when they find time to build?;)

boxcar2525 02-04-2004 12:04 AM

hi Bill,

Yes I definetly tested it. I only figured out the reason that it kept turning off by hooking up my multi-meter to the incoming signal. Sure enough it was occasionally dropping below .8v. Glad to know the TRV-22 works.
thanks,

boxcar

Fubar-One 02-04-2004 12:15 AM

Fire season, flood/mudslide season we have.
Earthquake isnt a season, it just happens every ten years or so.
Riot season doesnt happen every year, just seems tied to how the Lakers are doing (Eff the lakers), the Dodgers are doing (Eff the dodgers), or how the Raiders are doing (Eff the raiders and the raiders fans).
Rain season is sorta stretching the truth a bit. My wife and I were watching Volcano last night and had an easier time believing a volcano could form on Wilshire Ave than it starting to rain afterwards. ABC 7 out here has what they call the "Doppler 7,000 PLUS" now and its used more to track smoke than rain. Now they can pinpoint down to the intersection where it isnt raining.
:)

ORIGINAL: Deltageek2

Hey, FU,