RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Want ideas for putting Sony TRV-33 in GP Skybolt (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1569531-want-ideas-putting-sony-trv-33-gp-skybolt.html)

Jeremyb574 02-27-2004 03:13 AM

Want ideas for putting Sony TRV-33 in GP Skybolt

I am going to do this and am looking for some ideas. I will want to pad it with foam rubber very well 'just in case' and also hold the camcorder in really well as I will probably pull/push some g'--in the interest of quality cinema. I was thinking under the canopy possibly haven't tried the fit yet. I would have to shift some other things around to balance it then. This a heavy bird as it is, should I be locked-up for even considering this? Landing at half throttle doesn't scare me. What do you guys think? Thanx for your input!

rajul 02-27-2004 06:32 AM

RE: Want ideas for putting Sony TRV-33 in GP Skybolt

Is the Sony TRV-33 comparable to the Black Widow system ? Thx

stevennh 02-27-2004 07:04 AM

How much is the TRV-33? I would not risk it. Good quality RF systems can be had for <$300.00 and they would probably weigh less including power. A small seperate CCD camera also lends itself well to pan/tilt arrangments with a couple of additional servos. I am not sure how the tape transport would deal with high-g's, no moving parts on an RF system.

Steve

Jeremyb574 02-27-2004 12:59 PM

Are the RF systems able to capture at a comparable quality? I don't know what the Black Widow is.

rajul 02-27-2004 05:56 PM

I don't own a BW but details and videos can be found here http://blackwidowav.tripod.com/

yb2normal 02-27-2004 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: rajul

Is the Sony TRV-33 comparable to the Black Widow system ? Thx
The Sony TRV-33 is a camcorder and the Black Widow system is an RF downlink. The BWAV200 video system ships with a 330 line camera which is less than what the Sony TRV-33 could capture. The main differences are weight (the BWAV system is 1.5 ounces!) and cost.

For absolute reliability there is no substitute for having your recording medium onboard (a-la-TRV-33)

You could certainly downlink the output of the TRV-33 to the ground using the DigiLive system so at least you knew what you were recording on the camcorder!

Regards,
Bill

Jeremyb574 02-27-2004 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I was asking more for advise on how to mount and protect the camcorder. Does anyone have experience with this? The dimensions of the camcorder are: (WHD): 2 7/8" x 3 5/8" x 4 1/2" (71mm x 90mm x 112mm) it will weight about 1.4 lbs ready to record. Do you think I could just build it into a wood box padded with say 1/2" of foam rubber or maybe wrap it in foam and strap it to a ply plate that is mounted securly? What do you guys think about this? Any other mounting schemes you can think of? Thank you for all the help!

SeacretsOceanCity 02-28-2004 07:26 AM

One piece of advice before you take off with the cam,use rocks or lead to simulate the load first this may save you $$ . Get confident with the handling then switch out to the cam.Good luck please post your results.:D:D[:D

Vibration seems to be the biggest problem for clear picture results as I have read.
Keeping fuel off the lens and cam
favorable CG
Mounting under fuse could cause cam to strike with hard landing or taxed landing gear
just some things to consider.

Fubar-One 02-28-2004 08:58 AM

Another thing to consider is how the plane would fly with the extra weight. I mean, it might fly but if the best it will do is fly like a trainer while carrying that weight, I would pick a different plane because making your skybolt fly like a trainer would defeat the purpose that I believe you are after.
If you have broadband, check out:
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/usbw1.wmv]Ultra Stick 60/ BlackwidowAV [/link]
Keep in mind that the video has been compressed for streaming. I used one of of the BlackwidowAV.com 200mw 5v systems strapped to the back of my Ultra Stick 60. Other than a bit of wind resistance, I still have full aerobat capability.
I do have some vibration issues but that is my mounting system and would happen with a camcorder also.
If I were to crash with this system on board, other than being upset about the destroyed plane (and I know I will destroy this thing eventually anyway) I wouldnt be slitting my wrists over destroying my high dollar camcorder.
Oh, the patch antenna is a must for acrobatic flying reception.

ORIGINAL: SeacretsOceanCity

One piece of advice before you take off with the cam,use rocks or lead to simulate the load first this may save you $$ . Get confident with the handling then switch out to the cam.Good luck please post your results.:D:D[:D

Vibration seems to be the biggest problem for clear picture results as I have read.
Keeping fuel off the lens and cam
favorable CG
Mounting under fuse could cause cam to strike with hard landing or taxed landing gear
just some things to consider.