RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   DRAGANFLY IV -SUB PAR VIDEO (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1625868-draganfly-iv-sub-par-video.html)

fjrcrazed 03-15-2004 08:35 AM

DRAGANFLY IV -SUB PAR VIDEO

Been flying my draganfly for about 3 weeks now (20hrs). I have the flying down pat. What I find is the video is sub par. The pic is ok most of the time, however theirs are times that the bottom third of the pic will have a dark red - magenta cast. This happens on cloudy and sunny days so that rules out the iris of the camera. I can send the camera back for them to check out but they tell me 4-5 weeks. I have the receiver running off 8aa battteries. Seem to work great inside the house, but when I go out thats when the pic goes down the tubes. Theirs seem to be no way of hooking up and external ant on the reciever. Anybody eles have this problem???

thanks

yb2normal 03-15-2004 10:17 AM

RE: DRAGANFLY IV -SUB PAR VIDEO

The problem you are experiencing is a function of the camera used.

The dragonfly uses a CMOS camera, and this red tinge is unfortunately very common among CMOS cameras. I think other forum members have experienced this and might have advice on how to minimize the problem. I use CCD cameras exclusively so I'm sorry I can't make any good recommendations!

Regards,
Bill

stevennh 03-15-2004 10:21 AM

Do you have any idea how much the dragonflyer can lift? I was thinking about getting one and putting a 200mw CCD based system on it, but it would probably weigh twice as much as the camera that it ships with. How tough is the dragonflyer to fly? How much wind can it handle outside?

Steve

Fubar-One 03-15-2004 03:58 PM

Near as I have been able to determine, that purplish haze is reflected light hitting the lens. I ran into this using CMOS cams on my slope gliders. What solved it was shrouding the camera with some kind of hood. I my case, I recessed the camera in an EPP pod to both protect it during combat and to keep the glare out. Works great. Make some kind of cone out of paper or cardboard and tape it around the lens. Paint the inside of the cone black.
You will be amazed.:D

ORIGINAL: fjrcrazed

Been flying my draganfly for about 3 weeks now (20hrs). I have the flying down pat. What I find is the video is sub par. The pic is ok most of the time, however theirs are times that the bottom third of the pic will have a dark red - magenta cast. This happens on cloudy and sunny days so that rules out the iris of the camera. I can send the camera back for them to check out but they tell me 4-5 weeks. I have the receiver running off 8aa battteries. Seem to work great inside the house, but when I go out thats when the pic goes down the tubes. Theirs seem to be no way of hooking up and external ant on the reciever. Anybody eles have this problem???

thanks

GravityTester 03-15-2004 03:58 PM

I have the same red problem with my cheap camera on my aerobird. I have no idea how to fix the problem. it may just be the cheap camera.

fjrcrazed 03-15-2004 05:14 PM

This has really pissed me off. What your saying is the Camera is Junk. This was after I had asked rctoys.com about the camera-pic quailty. The guy I talked to said it was just as good as the CCD cameras selling at a high cost. I will have another talk with them I just might send it back. The draganfly can handle about 2oz. It flys well in wind under 5mph. Above that its a real chore to fly.

Thanks for the info guys

Fubar-One 03-16-2004 10:42 AM

Try the hood idea before you scrap the system. A piece of black paper would do the trick. You just need to stop the lens from getting glare. If you look very closely, you will notice that there is a purple tint to the lens itself. Stopping the glare will rid the image of the purple.
It works!

MicroWireless 03-16-2004 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The camera that I sell is not affected by sunlight. I have flow it on multiple electric planes with good results.
Go to the classified section in aerial photography.

billmi 03-21-2004 07:01 PM

I've had similar effects on CMOS cameras that were light leaks from where the lense assembly mounted to the circuit board.
Try the hood around it first - from black construction paper or something similar. Make sure the area where the lense mounts to the board is protected from light.