RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Confused about the wide range in prices of systems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1673299-confused-about-wide-range-prices-systems.html)

ebeygin 03-30-2004 09:37 AM

Confused about the wide range in prices of systems

Hi there!

Just looked at the www.tinywireless.com website, and noticed they have packages for 60 dollars, that include a 400mw system (but in 1.2 Ghz range). Now when I look to blackwidowav or hicam, their pricing is 3-4 or ever 5 times more, yet the power output considerably less (yet, in the 2.4 Ghz range). I am positive, that the frequency does NOT play a big role in it, since I did see transmittters in the 2.4 range with for a decent price. Also, power supply voltage might differ, but to me, these are not significat factors that determine the price.

Might I add, that all sellers of these system boast that with proper adjustments and proper techiques, you can get great range and etc.

Personaly, I just want to buy a very good system, that will give me a range longer than the visible range of my plane, with exellent video throught that distance. Can I hope for this, in the low priced products? Or price really does matter between these systems?

Thanks for your help,

-eugn

Fubar-One 03-30-2004 09:03 PM

RE: Confused about the wide range in prices of systems

For the most part, price does play a part but it depends on the system. Some are over priced, some are very cheap and work OK, some are very cheap and are crap, some are priced too much and are crap.
What I have learned:
Go for 2.4ghz. You need a Ham license for this freq but it IS legal in the US. The Ebay cams that come with a separate tx ("800mw") use a CMOS cam, operate on 1.2ghz but work surprisingly well. Can usually be had for about $50 with shipping. I have had pretty good success with these.
Avoid the cam/tx all in one units, at least the ones on 1.2ghz. Have yet to find one that works well.
Both the above units list either 800mw or 200mw but it has been found that this is power consumption, NOT actual RF output.
I havent tried any cam/tx all in one units on 2.4ghz so I have no experience with those.
The two systems I have used that put out what they claim are the 900mhz CCD cam system from Supercircuits.com (ham license required) which puts out 500mw and costs about $350. Works ok, great camera but needs 12v for both cam and tx. Still working on that one.
The other system I have is from BlackwidowAV.com. It puts out 200mw on 2.4ghz and uses a CCD camera. This system rocks and if you add the patch antenna he sells, it rocks its butt off.
I highly recommend his systems and they are definitely worth what they cost.
Dinner is ready so I gotta wrap this up!:D

KantoModelAir 03-31-2004 12:24 AM

Yes, frequency does matter. The higher the freq, the lower the power needed. If you can picture a sine wave, a higher freq has a straighter signal, less power needed, but needs more of a clear path for the signal, lower frequencies will bounce around things better.

AutoMike 03-31-2004 05:27 AM

I got the 800mw 1.2ghz system off ebay from bidcam. Came right from china for 41.50 shipped. CMOS camera and seperate Tx and it works really well so far. I havent had it in the air yet because the plane is still in the works so I put it on my Traxxas Stampede. WOW! what fun! I can go about a city block away and start to loose radio contact with the truck but still get good feed from the cam. I've ran around in a park thats down the block from my house and had pick-nickers all cornfuzed about who was running the truck, chased a mo-ped down the street to see him look so surprised at the stop sign when I pass him and ran around the corner,,,,I need to put this thing on a plane before I get into trouble with my neighbors or run over..lol. Piper

ebeygin 03-31-2004 09:29 AM

Thanks guys!

All along, for about half a year now, I had my eyes set on the blackwidowav 600mw transmitter. But when people get these cheap packages, and rave about the results, I always got puzzled.

Anyways, thanks again, for clarifying things up.

Also, I always did wonder, what do the pros use? I've seen some teams on TV with budgets between 10,000 and 100,000 bucks that have wireless videos from rockets, UAVs, and etc, and their signal is crystal clear for miles.

OR

Remember when the shuttle went up once, and it had a wireless system attached onto the center fuel tank? That thing went over 20 miles up, and had amazing video. That system must really rock. Any one knows it's specs?? :)) I'm sure it costs a fortune.

-eugn

AutoMike 03-31-2004 02:32 PM

ebeygin, Well im the sort that likes to tinker with everything and I didnt believe that I had to spend $300 to have a good video system. I got this set-up as a place to start with and add to along the way. $42 in this system, just got a 480 line ccd cam unwired off ebay for $10 plus shipping, going to do rc-cam's GP patch and after all that I should have a system as good or better than some of the more pricey systems out there. While all this is a learning experience for me others out there just want to plug and play and blackwidow and supercircuts will have them covered. But I know me, if I got one of there systems I'd take it apart right away and fool with it and pop something:) Piper

ebeygin 03-31-2004 05:12 PM

Wow, a ccd cam for 10 bucks? Incredible. How does it preform? Is there any differences between yours and Panasonic CX-161?

And I totatly agree, that if you buy bare components, and "tinker" you'll always do good with range and quality. I just wish I had a lot of electronics experience, and then I could set out and look for the hundreds of transmitters out there, available on the internet, and to distinguish, by their technical info, which are good and which are not.

-eugn

Skycam41 03-31-2004 09:34 PM

480 line CCD camera for $10!! Can you post the ebay item # so I can look for similar?

Cheers

Mike

AutoMike 04-01-2004 06:06 AM

I havent gotten the cam yet and it may be junk. I dont want to start a "look how cheap I did it" thing. I'm just playing around and so far have had good luck. Its a much better idea for a newbie to buy a complete system ready to fly from a proven dealer and if one is not a newbie then they dont need my help finding these components. Just poke around on ebay and you'll find that great deal listed in the wrong area where no one is looking for it. Thats how I find everything I buy(almost). Piper

yb2normal 04-01-2004 10:20 AM

Small irony

One small irony here is that if I were to start all over again, I would probably be going down exactly the same path as most of the folks here on the board. I mean, for $60, how can you NOT try out one of the cheap ebay systems?

In a way I was lucky, because these systems were not available, and I was 'stuck' buying the xcam2 and hacking it for aerial use (credit to www.rc-cam.com for the idea).

Regards,
Bill

Fubar-One 04-01-2004 11:43 PM

RE: Small irony

Definitely a learning experience, aint it?
I have a pretty interesting pile of cheapo and not so cheapo video gear collecting dust on the shelf over my bench. Must have at least a half dozen of those 1.2ghz receivers scattered around the shop, a couple of the Spylinker systems, several of those junk cam/tx all in one units from different sellers...

ORIGINAL: yb2normal

One small irony here is that if I were to start all over again, I would probably be going down exactly the same path as most of the folks here on the board. I mean, for $60, how can you NOT try out one of the cheap ebay systems?

In a way I was lucky, because these systems were not available, and I was 'stuck' buying the xcam2 and hacking it for aerial use (credit to www.rc-cam.com for the idea).

Regards,
Bill