RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Best way to mount wireless video cam??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/2764361-best-way-mount-wireless-video-cam.html)

Ur_Dad 03-14-2005 03:12 PM

Best way to mount wireless video cam???

I'm a total newbie to RC video. just got the Micro Cam 2 CI from MicroWireless, and i'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it on my plane (a Hangar 9 XE 2 trainer). has anyone come up with an easy way to mount the camera and 9 volt battery so you can be pretty sure it won't fall off during flight? i got an extension for my muffler, so oil spray shouldn't be too big an issue anywhere on the plane. just wondering how to attach the camera ... whether i need to fashion a holder out of balsa, etc. or just affix the cam some other way ... i'm itching to try it out.

roltech 03-14-2005 09:19 PM

RE: Best way to mount wireless video cam???

I have not tried this but some club members uses velcro strips and seem to wor ok did not hear of any falling of. and I might add it sure sticks.

roltech

Gravityisnotmyfriend 03-14-2005 11:01 PM

I built a pod out of scrap balsa and covered it. I screwed four hooks into it and attach it with rubber bands. Works pretty slick. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Ur_Dad 03-16-2005 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so i got impatient and tried it out yesterday, without doing anything fancy with the camera mount. i learned really quickly that vibration and wind are my enemies. it was cool to see the video of our flying site ... but hard to make out with all the static and interference.

when i got home i built this little housing from balsa like you suggested, Gravity. i insulated the inside really well with strips of foam, so the camera is resting on a nice forgiving surface. i also made a windshield out of a thin sheet of clear plastic. between the vibration dampening of the foam, and the windshield deflecting much of the wind from the lens and mic, i'm hoping for some much clearer video. i mounted it on the plane with velcro strips (thanks Roltech), but because i'm paranoid i added some insurance tape.

randall1959 03-16-2005 12:20 PM

One thing you might consider when using velcro is a leash of some sort. Just a short piece of string will suffice. That way if the mount comes loose the leash will keep your prized possession from filming it's last video, haha. My camera is very securely mounted but I still use a leash. Hey call me paranoid :D

Gravityisnotmyfriend 03-16-2005 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good. That should work. You can see the hooks on mine where I use rubberbands. I also covered the surface that is up against the plane with weatherstripping. It seems to stop most of the vibration. I didn't make a windshield, so I do get alot of wind noise. Let me know if the windshield helps.

Ur_Dad 03-16-2005 06:53 PM

the windshield was a no-go. as soon as i saw the video i could tell it greatly hurt the picture clarity. perhaps real glass (or at least something a little better than a piece cut from a plastic cocktail cup) would work better. also, the little mounting box i built didn't seem to do much for the vibration problem. i might just try your rubber band idea. i'm starting to get the feeling that this isn't going to work very well on the gas plane ... unless maybe i try mounting toward the back, away from the engine. i'll try on my park flyer and see how that goes too. [&o] argh. discouraging.

Gravityisnotmyfriend 03-16-2005 08:29 PM

Try not to get too frustrated. I really don't have any vibration problems with mine and I've used it on two planes with .46 sized engines. Try the rubberbands and put weatherstripping or foam rubber between the box and plane. If you haven't already done so, try to balance your prop and spinner. If they are out of balance, you'll get alot of extra vibration. Good luck with it.

roltech 03-16-2005 10:50 PM

I was told there are good velcro and cheap velcro I understand that the velcro they use is more or less commercial grade. and yes a short string as per randall1959 recommendation might be a good idea. when you get some video I think we would all like to see them good luck.
roltech

randall1959 03-17-2005 01:59 AM

That velcro, if it's drawn tight, will transfer vibration right to your camera. Try gluing a sheet of half inch foam to your camera box, then glue a piece of light ply on top of that. Secure the camera to the plane using the light ply. That way your camera will have some foam between it and all that vibration.